Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The owner wants to listen in on cockpit communications.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You never know when your CEO is going to ask your opinion on a training aircraft he should purchase for his primary training.

That would make me feel highly uncomfortable and self-conscious. Make sure you have an isolator switch at the least and definately brief him on the sterile cockpit concept and when its okay to give the crew a holler.

Problem is, he might misunderstand a lot of what's normal and innundate you with a plethera of asinine questions at every corner of the flight.

What's worse, is that he may start to question and offer his own opinions on what should be done in any given situation. By virtue of the owner, he may try to intervene when it's not appropriate or distract you during critical phases.

On the Falcon 900EX and the Falcon 50EX the cabin entertainment system carries the number 2 comm as standard channel. On the 900 you can have a video feed from the cockpit as well, however, that is an option.

The pilots control both the comm and video and can shut them off if desired.

Personally I never had any problem with the people in back listening to ATC commutations.

My friend managed an aircraft (421) where the owner had headset jacks in back. I was helping her on one trip, and I noticed that he spoke up at THE WORST times (i.e. during the flare and while communicating with ATC). After the first leg I set the intercom to ISO until cruise and and set it back to ISO during the decent.

Our "big" guy loves listening to the atc traffic and says it helps him fall asleep when he's tired. As mentioned before...on our Falcon's we can shut him off when atc starts chewing on us for something...he just thinks the freq got quiet. It's actually rather funny when we are international and can't quite understand what Miguel/Pierre/Hoorst/Winston, etc., are saying he gives a hand !!

Challenger 300 has this installed in factory

In challenger 300 this can be installed in factory and is usually placed on number 4 seat! This is mainly for checkride purposes,but can also be used for back to listen atc etc...

We block this access because we dont need anyone to observe,judge and supervise what we do!

Hang in there folks, both pilots and flight attendants and cabin attendants, some owners are white knuckle fliers, they are actually afraid to be on their own aircraft. Don't get discouraged, offer them to come to the jumpseat if possible. If you have a good cabin attendant and good crew offer them some wine.

Just don't take if personally, some owners are really scared I know this to be true.

hang in there. But really some owners are afraid, they are not at ease, tooo much tension in their lives.

If he is the owner he may not be receptive to your hesitation to allow him to listen in. It is HIS airplane, after all and he probablt is not accustomed to being told "no," particularly by employees and with respect to his asset. In addition he may take it being somewhat standoffish. Working out a way to satisfy his curiousity while establishing the boundaries necessary to do your job professionally could be the only option you have. Many employees long for the chance to get some face time with the boss. You have the boss coming to you. The rapport you develop could be invaluable...

Latest resources

Back