• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The Negatives of the new Netjets proposal

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The 39 month equipment lock wasn't really an issue for most pilots at NetJets. The average time between changing aircraft is over 48 months.

In order to have the right to automatically extend the CBA an additional 30 months in 2012, the company must add 10 crew bases (no biggie), adjust all wage scales according to the Consumer Price Index (a theoretical wash since owner management fees will do the same), offer health benefits equal or greater to existing (potential problem because of dramatic increases in the cost of health care in the U.S.), and the biggie: at least 85% of international flying done by 1108 seniority list pilots.

After re-reading the section and carefully considering the situation, I think it may play out as follows:

1. The TA will be ratified.
2. RTS will not voluntarily merge NJI pilots into the 1108 CBA in the near term (the only way to meet the 85% threshold is for NJI to be part of 1108).
3. 1108 will file the single-carrier petition in November of next year (for which a decision won't be reached until '09-'10 timeframe).
4. If 1108 wins, RTS will meet the other specifications required before the deadline and automatically extend the agreement 30 months.
5. If 1108 loses, RTS has two options: A) Allow the agreement to expire in 2013 and open new negotiations or B) If it makes more economic sense, THEN voluntarily merge NJI into 1108 and extend the contract 30 months.

No matter what, RTS has gained a minimum of 3 years operating NJI at a multi-million dollar cost savings versus adding 300+ pilots to the CBA (overtime, per diem, sick leave, etc.).

Overall, I think the TA is a win for 1108 but the 85% international agreement will actually delay resolution of the merger issue and will likely prevent the automatic 30 month extension of the contract.

I agree!

Being a captain inside waiting on passengers and not in the cockpit getting a clearance while some other joker hogs the GPU makes a whale of a difference in 100 degree temperatures. It's closer three or four months that the cockpit of a Bravo is almost unbearable. Longer if you are in Florida.
Oh so you think the world should cry for you? You ever been a CA? He's not just sitting there with nothing to do. And don't forget that the CA was in your place once too.
Been in an APU-less plane for my 3rd year now, by choice. It could be a lot worse. Besides, I never had a CA who hasn't asked me what they could do to help.

For those of you who haven't flown without an APU, you are really overrating the whole issue. Like any situation, you learn to adapt and find ways to minimize your discomfort... window shades, gpus, hangars... etc. I flew the Ultra for six years. Not having an APU is an issue about 6 days a year. I actually enjoyed the fact that we might be on ramp somewhere where we didn't need to wear earplugs. Silence is golden! I made the move to an aircraft with an apu because I wanted a new challenge.... I don't believe mastering the apu was part of that challenge. Additionally, the trips that we made in the Ultra were fun. We went to a lot of out of the way places... quite often we were the only jet on the ramp. Often I feel that having an APU somehow makes someone feel like 'an airline pilot', kinda like wearing a hat or living in their parents basement, rather than just a little more comfortable during extreme temperatures. I'd have no problem going back to a non-apu aircraft if it meant a better QOL. I can sweat a few days a year... or at least my FO can in order to get a better schedule or vacation. I doubt that I will, but the APU wouldn't be a factor. So, upgrading in an ultra, encore, bbj, etc. is an UPGRADE. You are a captain, getting paid on the captain scale. It is not a sentence. If, 39 months later, you wish to and can TRANSITION to another aircraft, then do so. Enjoy the journey and cash the checks... stop whinning about.... oh, just stop whinning....

Must admit, I read this and hit the post button without reading forward.
Marq, SPEAK FOR YOURSELF. I was in the Uboat for 5 years. Before that I worked in a non apu aircraft for 4+ years. It is a big deal. I will sacrifice QOL before going back. Sorry, just because you don't mind sweating like a pig, freezing you as,s off, smashing 15 bags into an area that fits 5 bags, and a lav that is not an external, fine. But I bet you speak for the majority!

I love APU noise. Fire that thing up and burn some dinosaurs!

Ahhh Ribbit... luv ya man. :)

A couple notes:

And another way to see it...

4. If 1108 wins, RTS will meet the other specifications required before the deadline and automatically extend the agreement 30 months. 1108 case meets 30 of the 36 single carrier requirments to be considered as such. Now I know that anything can and does happen when a judge/arbitrator gets involved.

Actually, it will be more by that point. Some things we can't talk about.

and...

This is about business. We have made a tentative agreement with management in regards to IRMs. We don't care if it involves NJI or a whole new fleet of 7Xs. SOMETHING must fill the 85% requirement though. Given the choice of a fleet of 7Xs with no NJI pilots to merge, ok... I'll do that. Or take the G4/5 with 3-400 pilots to merge in a way that reflects our date of hire... ok. Fair too. I take a 200 number "hit" personally but I take it knowing it's for the greater good.

Think about the logistics of this.... in order to affect the option, the language says NJA must operate 85% of the IRMs "in the twelve months prior...". My question, and answer is 'how many aircraft does it take?'.... What I'm being told: at least 40 more.

40 more aircraft in 4 years? Anyone listen to the last hangar video where RTS talks about the problems with acquiring the 7X? Can't get them... not available. Nor are extra G-whiz's...

Short answer my froggy friend is that the timeline is defined. It is a done deal; we simply need to go through the steps.

See ya somewhere...

RNO, good point. Something "bad" to you guys might not necessarily appear bad to us. It's all relative I suppose. Bottom line here is they should give us a raise based on the last 2 great years we've had. I wonder what would happen if you guys vote "no" and then we get a raise that surpasses NJ?? Might create some tension over there.

If you wanna make more money than NJ,here at Flex, you might want to sell some of that crack you're smok'n.

Latest resources

Back