Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
captxxx said:
Also I'll agree with DCA, Aspen & Reno----Can I Get A WITNESS, AMEN
Reno is also a scary approach I had so AMEN! Shooting the approach in a 172 again, but on short final wind shear from almost right down the runway, to 15knot gust to 25-qtr tailwinds. I go missed and request the controller change runways; he declined offering me a hold for 15-20 min. I tell him I’ve already had to divert and fuel would be an issue but still no cooperation. I had to force it down, even though I felt very uncomfortable. After I got down, on a wild landing I’m taxing clear and behind me a SWA737 almost clips the wing, then locked up the tires. It took about 3 more large jets that have wild landings before the controller turns the airport around.

OldManPilot said:
Nothing like flying into New Orleans 50 miles out, check in with approach and get cleared for the visual, cleared to land and cleared to taxi to the gate all on one call. Now that's service!

Used to hear that all the time at night, back home. Thanks for the memories OMP!

Lebanon, NH(RWY #-?) ILS ---snow and blowing snow and due to terrain your ground proximity goes off if your much past 120K on approach; in a non-radar environment, at night.

It's runway 18....

Let's not forget the fact that there are NO approach lights and the ILS is offset a few degrees but NOT listed as such on the chart.

Mookie said:
there's a good reason it's a special qual in the rj at skywest.
mookie

I once saw a Skywest pilot waving at me frantically from the back window of the special employee short bus on his way to the terminal. He was wearing his CRJ backpack on one shoulder and his Brasilia T-shirt that read "Try to catch me, I do 300 knots"

I think he had a runny nose and a red name tag on, too.

Skywescht pile-its reeelly R speshul - thank you very much.

Sincerely,

B. Franklin

hmmm, the widow maker, nothing like that one at Roswell........try it in a 130 sometime........and Tegucigalpa, Hondoras is one to watch out for........now that's a fun approach......just remember if you touch down half way down the runway doing about 160 don't wait to jump on the brakes...ok, just don't touch half way down the runway going that fast......

Last edited:
PHL ILS 9R...I was vector straight to the marker about 30 miles out and cleared to land. No waiting or holding...Wow...very unusual for Philly...thought I was at the wrong airport...he he he...:D

Rolled out on a 10 mile final for 31R at JFK on Sep. 14, 2001 and saw smoke instead of the towers.

One of the most depressing and distracting things I've ever seen.

VOR aproach into saltio Mexico in a EMB-135. Very bad english ATC. your prety much on your own. Montains everywere. No lights around, and windy.

Last edited:
amcnd said:
VOR aproach into saltio Mexico in a EMB-135. Very bad english ATC. your prety much on your own. Montains everywere. No lights around, and windy.

I second that except mine was the ILS to 17 at SLT at dusk. Weather was 100 overcast and 1/2mile vis. SLT approach said ceilings was less that published mins and we had a very a hard time convincing him that all we needed was the visiblitly to at least take a look. Long story short , we hit mins and absolutly nothing. Not even ground contact. It was the FO's leg, we went missed and he climbed like a banshee to the Minimum Holding Altitude. Monterrey went down to below mins and had to go all the way back to Houston. That was the eriest approach ever because you could see all the mountains poking thru the overcast on our final decent, and losing sight of those bad boys really made my hands sweat, and that hasn't happend in a long long time.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back