• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

the most hairyest approach

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
MEXICO CITY ILS RWY 05, 1:00 AM, THUNDERSTORMS, FOG, TWO ENGINES OUT (DC-8), MOUNTAINOUS TERRAIN, LOW FUEL!!!!!!

Telluride

I'm gonna have to say Telluride, CO is by far the hairiest approach out there. And if the approach isn't hairy enough for you, then the missed approach will really make your butt pucker.

Hairy Approach

Ok it has to be Scammon Bay when it's 50' overcast, and a half mile or soo....and your on the visual b/c there ain't no approach! been there?

NDB to Rwy 1 circle to 19 in ILE (Kileen, TX) at night in rainshowers, with low cloud cover, ground fog, and with a raging tailwind. This Place is notorious for people going off the end, and when your FO utters, "this will all make good reading in a report if we screw up" it really ratcheys up the pressure.

KBUR in nice weather, winds from the west, and on a weekend. Just spent an entire month dodging warriors and cherokees and traffic launching off of VNY with no regard that we're doing an approach right over the top of the airport.

scary...

oh yeah, and Butte, Mt. on the night lead in light circle approach. watched it from the jumpseat once...only once. there's a good reason it's a special qual in the rj at skywest.
mookie

Castlegar BC Canada. LOC DME approach, about 5 or 6 stepdowns, DME cuts in and out at because of the hills until you are about 8 miles back, runway is in the bottom of a valley, approach takes you over a large hill located 2 miles from the airport. If you break out at minimums the runway will be at your 8 oclock or so. Only the captain will see it and he has to look over his shoulder to do so. You then proceed to circle in the valley to land. The departure out of there is even more fun. Circle around and around to 10000 to clear the mountains. In a heavy Dash-8 this can take a while!! LOL.. I had a DC-10 captain in the jumpseat one day and after the approach to minimums he said he would much rather do the "checkerboard" approach any day. :D

When crew scheduling junior mans you for a trip and you can tell them to stick it up there #$#&$....you might be flying into Aspen.

That's how it is at AWAC for Aspen trips.

When other aircraft are asking tower for a ground speed readout on you....you might be in Aspen in a 30 degree bank at Ref + 5.

When you're flying down a canyon making a blind turn onto short final...you might be flying into Aspen.

That is one airport I have no desire to frequent.

Lebanon, NH(RWY #-?) ILS ---snow and blowing snow and due to terrain your ground proximity goes off if your much past 120K on approach; in a non-radar environment, at night. Also I'll agree with DCA, Aspen & Reno----Can I Get A WITNESS, AMEN

Butte

Mookie quote:
"oh yeah, and Butte, Mt. on the night lead in light circle approach. watched it from the jumpseat once...only once. there's a good reason it's a special qual in the rj at skywest."
mookie

FYI- The latest Jepp revision for Butte shows the Lead In Lights removed.

CC

Ely, Nevada- GPS approach runway 18, circle to land at night in a C172 with thunderstorms in the area; wind shear, solo.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back