the most hairyest approach

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AvroJockey said:
Even a visual at Aspen is hairy! Very steep approach. If your not making skiers fall down on the runs, then your too high and going to make good use of the TOGA buttons!

If you don't hear "Terrain, Terrain" you're too high....

Nothing like flying into New Orleans 50 miles out, check in with approach and get cleared for the visual, cleared to land and cleared to taxi to the gate all on one call. Now that's service!

How about Mexico City,

Was just doing my international check-out on the MD-80 and flew to MMMX. THe ILS to 5L/R (whichever it was) was out (as it had been for 3-4 years) so we made a VOR approach to mins. THe MDA was like 8,100 MSL or something crazy like that. Approach will clear you for ABC arrival to XYZ transition to the VOR to 5 L/R "radar service is terminated, contact the tower" and you are like 35-40 miles from the airport. The airport is around 7,600 MSL with 18,000' MSL mountains in all quadrants.

Of course it was 23:30 and raining. but thankfully they don't crown or groove the runwayrs in MEX. All I have to say was, thank GOD it was the Capt's leg and he had been there before. But to make up for it, we had 70 cent Negro Modelos (sic) that went 2 for 1 at happy hour.

River visual to 19 DCA. A fellow pilot said it best. Everything the Feds tell you not to do, you gotta do in DCA.

Getting configured
Bank angles
Prohibited areas
traffic
short intersecting runways
spacing
oh did I mention fun?

and that;s just gettin in...once your there you gotta get out (Rwy 01)

DCA airport diagram

I am bit biased, I'm sure there are some tougher ones out there...

DCA apch.

You forgot to add the mobile SAM sites on top of the new White House office building :) That new addition makes me a little more tense.
Rob

ROA. LDA 6 (LDA with Glideslope, offset from runway). Winter night at minumums in snow and one howling crosswind from the east. What a bear. BTW...a Jetstream 32.

I don't know but Dominica is the coolest. Gotta love it when the ocean is splashing up onto the end of the runway and you're on approach in some valley looking up at mountains on both sides of the window. Gotta check the tires for banannas on the postflight. Makes the river 19 circle 22 look like a straight in. Heard Tegucigalpa, Hondoras is great. Maybe someday I will get to do it, when AA hires again in about 16 years.

ASE at night, in the winter... you can see your green nav light reflecting off of the mountain to your right during short final. Yep... that about says it all.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back