The Mood at Jet Blue

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

shon7

For all the B6 insiders -- is there a doom and gloom atmosphere and an urgeny to address the business model -- or has the leadership come out and addressed the performance and solution.

I have been flying you guys quite often now and overall it seems like business as usual.

Any urgency is at HQ. We're already doing all we can. It's up to the planners to get more revenue (primarily through better route and capacity planning) and mitigate fuel cost. So for the most part, I'd say it's business as usual. We're certainly not being made to feel as though we didn't do our part. No feeling of "save those pennies, or else!" or that our salaries are going to be on the chopping block. It's a management issue, no more, no less, and everyone knows it. The rank and file is by and large unaffected.

I agree...While there has certainly been a general sense of "reality" around the crew room since last year's financial statement was issued, there are no overt or covert signs of pressure on the flight ops group. Fortunately, both Dave's communicated our financial position well in the closintg months of the year (open within the limits set by the gov'mint, naturally!:rolleyes: ), so most of our folks were ready for the brutal truth when it officially came out.

There are, naturally, several areas that need improvement, and it seems that progress is being made on some of them.

And a bit of progress is far better than none at all.

To answer your question directly, I think the mood is close to the same as we had a few months ago.

shon7 said:
For all the B6 insiders -- is there a doom and gloom atmosphere and an urgeny to address the business model -- or has the leadership come out and addressed the performance and solution.

I have been flying you guys quite often now and overall it seems like business as usual.

YES there is a doom and gloom panic at B6...I know at least 8 people that have put their resumes in with UAL, DAL and NWA. 3 have already been hired ever since hearing the shocking news!!!!

I think the mood in general is pretty good. We knew about the loss as Eagle said, so really wasn't a surprise.

The employees are doing what they can, so it really has to do with management and more importantly, the economy and in particular oilprices.
Of course, we all wished we had great hedges like SWA and management could probably have done more in that area, but that really is beyond my expertise.

There are issues, as there always are, but they are being addressed and the company is pretty open to suggestions.

As for the stock, needless to say, all wished it was trading higher, but it is what it is. Personally I found it crazy that it went to 70+ that quickly and I think it is undervalued now, but it is the street running that show.

The 190 has issues, but then, so do all new planes. Dispatch rate is going up and in time it will be a good airplane.

Terminal 6 is at capcity, or very close thereto, so it will be nice when the new one opens.

There has been a decrease in load factor, but that may very well be due to the company putting too much lift in certain markets, hence why they want to open new markets. The 190 is a great airplane for that, as long as the issues get resolved.

I can of course only speak for myself, but I am certain that jetblue will continue to be a great place to work and all in all, wouldn't want to be any place else at the moment.

Uppercrust? Where is the flame? Mommy has not let you out of the crib yet?

coogebeachhotel said:

Don't forget 'dave'! Before this gets to 10 post's I'll bet he'll jump right on in.
sigh

On Tuesday, Morgan Stanley downgraded the stock to underweight from equal weight and now forecasts a loss of 56 cents a share this year, instead of a 2 cent profit. The airline should be profitable in 2007, according to Morgan Stanley.

Today's Barrons came out with an article if someone has access could they please post it.

coogebeachhotel said:

It's a school day. He should be posting around 3:30 p.m. or whenever the short bus drops him off.TC

P.S.--Awsome avatars cooge!

Barron's Article

================================

JetBlue Won't Be in the Black Until 2007
JetBlue Airways Corp. (JBLU: Nasdaq)
By Morgan Stanley ($11.07, Feb. 7, 2006)​
WE ARE DOWNGRADING OUR RATING on JetBlue to Underweight from Equal-Weight and reducing our estimate for fiscal year 2006 to a loss of 56 cents per share, down from earnings of two cents a share. Our estimate for fiscal 2007 is for earnings of one cent a share.
ON-AB145_bjbluc_20060207125105.jpg
The revenue environment in the U.S. is generally positive, with declining capacity in many markets pushing fares up; however, capacity in certain key JetBlue markets is increasing as competitors add new flights with larger aircraft. Thus, we estimate that JetBlue's revenue performance will lag the industry in 2006 and at least early 2007. With nonfuel expenses rising materially, we believe that the company faces major headwinds into 2007.
JetBlue reported a 2005 fourth-quarter loss of 19 cents share (excluding items), missing consensus and our estimate for a loss of 14 cents a share. The company also released guidance that it would report a loss in 2006, the first annual loss since the company's initial public offering. JetBlue faces more challenging market conditions than many of its competitors, we believe, with revenue challenges in its Florida markets (equal to 35% to 40% of capacity), as well as expense pressures from the introduction of a new aircraft type, rising airport costs and increasing maintenance expenses as its aircraft fleet ages.
The competitive environment in 2006 in JetBlue remarkets will be daunting, with large amounts of capacity being added in key JetBlue markets. Continental's addition of Boeing 757-300s (the largest single-aisle commercial aircraft and one with low operating costs) on key Florida routes will pressure JetBlue; not everyone will consider Newark as an alternative to JFK International Airport, but enough may, which would affect JetBlue's large JFK operations, in addition to its smaller Newark operations.
We will continue to monitor Continental's competitive response to JetBlue -- a significant change in Continental's Florida capacity would cause us to re-examine our Underweight rating on JetBlue.
--Douglas Runte, CFA
--Jeremy A Falk
--Jay Bharadwa

Latest resources

Back