The Military History of France

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I know some Foreign Legion history.

In WWII they attacked Germany and made it well into Germany (the only reason they made it so far was because the German Army was in Poland). But instead of looking around for a fight in Germany they decided to turn around and run back across the Maginot Line before the German army got back from Poland. Next, they surrendered to the Nazis, and then they fought for the Nazis until the US army smacked them around a bit in North Africa, and finally they surrendered to the US.

Thats a heritage to be proud of.

hey nookie,

Stop inventing history, the legion never surrender to anyone,
so go and tell your BS to somebody else.
If you have issue with the French it's one thing but don't try to degrade one of the best army on this planet.

Frenchy:

While I sort of admire your convictions, you're swimming against an impossible tide deep inside enemy territory. You better lay low for a couple of years, change your callsign, and buy season tickets to watch the NY Yankees.

Your life will be much less stressful.;)

Only 12 days into the battle of France June Petain asked for an armistice, by the time it was granted the German army had already reached the Spainish border. Many French, including De Gaulle fled to England so they could continue the fight another day. The legion stayed loyal to the Vichy government, and the Vichy government was completely controlled by the Nazis.

The Vichy government was allowed to keep control of their North African colonies if they agreed to defend them from attack by the Allies. When Operation Torch was carried out in '42 the Foreign legion tried to repel the Americans at the beach. Unfortunately the Americans they were trying to Repel were led by Patton, and under the supreme command of Eisenhower. The Legion then surrendered to the US and UK.

Some more interesting facts about the Battle of France:

For a loss of 27,000 soldiers the German Army destroyed the French, Belgian, Dutch armies.

1,900,000 men of the French armie were made prisoners.

Total French casualties were 90,000 dead and 200,00 wounded.

But I wouldn't sweat it too much Frenchy, you French dudes still get lots of chicks.

Our weekend warriors could destroy the FFL in a weekend or so. Maybe a little quicker, it so many didnt surrender. Our MP Corp is not quite big enough to handle so many people just giving up.

Frenchy are you a French or American citizen? Or both for that matter?

Jim,
If I was you I wouldn't talk much, attacking me is the last thing you want to do.
I also remenber you , and you never won any popularity contest
making it to hawaian is a proof that there is miracle on the planet

Frenchy takes a stand

Wow, I'm suprised. A French man replied to some negative post without surrendering.

I know the French are fierce warriors...in fact isn't there a saying, like...."The French will fight to the very last American."

Latest resources

Back