• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The last straw

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes it sure does. It gives you 5 more years of employment.

THAT, is a perfect example of how the one-track, narrow-minded elitists that dictate ALPA, think. All the Age 65 thumpers need to be the professionals like they have always been and realize that safety is the number one trait of pilot professionalism. Don't blind yourselves by the money or your ego at the expense of safety! Well, too late for that now.

THAT, is a perfect example of how the one-track, narrow-minded elitists that dictate ALPA, think. All the Age 65 thumpers need to be the professionals like they have always been and realize that safety is the number one trait of pilot professionalism. Don't blind yourselves by the money or your ego at the expense of safety! Well, too late for that now.

You can't be serious...It is delusional to believe that there is any serious opposition that is genuinely based on safety concerns. Let's not kid ourselves: junior pilots are predominately pissed about this because they see it as a career stagnation issue.

I'm not thrilled that I'll probably be stuck where I'm at for two or more extra years, but changing the rule was and is the right thing to do. To not change the rule would have continued a practice of age discrimination, plain and simple.

If I chose to work until I was 65, I believe that it would be an improvement to my lifetime earnings to be able to work as a line-flying pilot.

Selfish?
Your dad gets 5 more years at 160k and we get 5 more years at 30!

Age sixty-five helps only those who are captains today, and hurts those that are already living in poverty.
$30k? Where the hell do you work? Secondly as Albert Einstein said, "Compound interest is the greatest force in the world". If you can put a little aside and not touch it you'd be amazed at what those 5 years would do. Plus if you did decide to stay in you'd be one of those 10 day a month line holders so it would be more like a hobby.

Has Flightinfo banned polls? I sure would like to see the groups attitude toward it and Prater's decision to support it.

Are you kidding me?

You can't be serious...It is delusional to believe that there is any serious opposition that is genuinely based on safety concerns. Let's not kid ourselves: junior pilots are predominately pissed about this because they see it as a career stagnation issue.

I'm not thrilled that I'll probably be stuck where I'm at for two or more extra years, but changing the rule was and is the right thing to do. To not change the rule would have continued a practice of age discrimination, plain and simple.

If I chose to work until I was 65, I believe that it would be an improvement to my lifetime earnings to be able to work as a line-flying pilot.

I think it is sad that many people are only looking at the monetary side of the equation. Whatever happened to the safety issues? I am merely bringing up facts of situation. I seem to remember that one of the soap boxes ALPA stood on AGAINST Age 65 was safety of flight. So before you get on your "you can't be serious" soap box, look into the non-monetary issues. I mean, come on, that is one HECK of statement to make that "it is delusional to think that there is serious opposition that is genuinely based upon safety concerns". Safety of flight had been one of the number one concerns when ALPA was against Age 65!

That's because it was the only leg they had to stand on and they knew it. If they inject 'Safety' into the equation, it brings fear of accidents.

To me it's all about 1.95%

The 1.95% from these senior Captains about to hit 60 is tremendously more than the junior regional guys 1.95%. It seems to me that if a majority of ALPA members didn't want this, the only reason for the change is more money in the coffers.

All the more reason that those of us who are regional pilots need our own, separate union working for our best interests. ALPA has made it clear that they support the major airline pilot over the regional pilot.

As for my personal opinion on what this does to my career progression? I think it's presumptuous to assume that life as we know it will cease to exist. I'll still get paid to do what I love. Another few years at the regionals still beats the desk I flew before I was a pilot any day.

This age 65 bill should be the last straw for all regional ALPA pilots. This new bill MOST affects regional airline pilots. It was HURRIED through congress by ALPA, against the wishes of the majority of ALPA pilots and nearly all of the regional pilots.
I challenge all ALPA MEC’s to construct a resolution to succeed from ALPA and either create a new REGIONAL pilot union or join a union more in tuned with the regional airline pilots needs. You owe it to yourself and to your airlines pilot group to give your money to an organization that may actually care about you.
Fool.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back