• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The last straw

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
lots of 60 year olds will still want to retire. Many that want to stay will not pass the physical. It's a joke to pass when you're 25, not so much when you are 62.

Does anyone know which European carriers allow past 60 and what percentace they make up of the pilot group?

Sorry SimHo. I was all fired up after a couple beers and was WAY too excited to have the first crack at your post.

I guess I don't care either way. 5 years more if I want it. 5 years longer to get there. What can you do.

For those who say this is an ALPA failing, or that the "majority" of ALPA members were against this, fail to remember ALPA doing polling for months and a vote taken to decide where ALPA stood on this issue. The members voted in favor of the change to age 65. So ALPA changed it's stance and helped move the bill through. Until that vote they fought against it.

For those who say this is an ALPA failing, or that the "majority" of ALPA members were against this, fail to remember ALPA doing polling for months and a vote taken to decide where ALPA stood on this issue. The members voted in favor of the change to age 65. So ALPA changed it's stance and helped move the bill through. Until that vote they fought against it.
WRONG!!!!
The APLA members that did vote, voted to keep the law as is. Look up the facts, they are in a previous thread.

WRONG!!!!
The APLA members that did vote, voted to keep the law as is. Look up the facts, they are in a previous thread.

You are right. I stand corrected. I didn't have #s in front of me and only remembered reading something that said that members said yes. For anyone who wants to read the results go here.
https://crewroom.alpa.org/nwamec/Des...44& Tabid=760

But... if you read the 2nd question it basicly says if the change is going to happen no matter what, what should ALPA do? A large % said that ALPA should drop it's opposition and modify the rule change.

Last edited:
Social Security Retirement Age is 65
EU Pilot Retirement Age is 65
Pilot Retirement Age was originally not 60

1. Most ALPA members didn't voice an opinion on this issue one way or the other...... as with most issues in ALPA, the majority of ALPA members are simply apathetic.........

2. ALPA has flip-flopped on this issue over the years based solely on mainline pilots pension plans...... Before they had these great Afund pension plans, ALPA opposed age 60. When the mainline pilots got these great A fund pension plans, they decided that age 60 retirement was great. Then the pension plans disappeared..... guess what also disappeared.... the support for age 60.....

3. See a trend here folks? ALPA members and airline pilots look out for their own best interests..... they don't look out for other pilot's best interests...... Sorry to burst your bubble..... but we aren't this great "brotherhood".....

4. I think age 60 should have changed..... I now have the choice to decide..... as do all of you.....

Your facts are ALL wrong. 58% voted not to change. Our worthless MECs(except XJT and NWA) sold us out based on their own best interest, then Prater looked after his own.

Social Security Retirement Age is 65
EU Pilot Retirement Age is 65
Pilot Retirement Age was originally not 60

KLM/AIR France (largest airline in the world) 55/58
Many Asian carriers 55

Only a few really let you fly beyond 60. I believe Air Canada and BA are the only ones flying into US.

Latest resources

Back