Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The JetBlue ALPA drive has officially started.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Then why doesn't skywest fly 737s for UA or DALL? Not scope?

Scope ... You're ************************* kidding right ?

Within a year of AirTran becoming ALPA they became the only ALPA airline to allow 86 seat RJ outsourcing. The email to the pilots described it as "significant gains".

Scope is a fiction at ALPA. The moustaches are not.

You really don't know what you are talking about do you? ALPA had nothing to do with the Skywest deal and had no legal grounds to stop it. It was allowed by the worthless CBA written in 2001 that had so much poor language and loop holes that have been exploited continuously. That CBA was written by an inept in-house union known as the NPA.

You clearly haven't the foggiest idea what you're talking about. You don't think 1.95% is worth scope, work rules and a voice in what happens to us?

Go back to your RJ junior.
To be honest, no, it's not worth it. I've seen what's happened at our current airline with ALPA. Absolutely nothing, an old 1999 contract, and we are (yet again) on ICE from the NMB. Great. I look at Skywest, and what do you know, it's probably the best regional to work for in terms of QOL, pay.

ALPA has helped erode this career right down the drain. There are no collective balls. Just pushovers and rollovers.

Spoke to an ALPA rep one time regarding a CLEAR and EGREGIOUS violation of our CBA, and guess what I was told. "Fly now, grieve later." Any union with balls would have said, "No, fark it! Do not fly now, it is illegal per the CBA!" Like I said, pushovers.

And as for the grievances, good luck hearing back from those. It'll take a looooong time (sometimes years) for anything to get done. Personally, I'd rather be at Skywest and not pay the 1.95%. Sure it's a gamble, but one I'd be willing to take. And yes, if JetBlue hired me, I'd be out the door in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
To be honest, no, it's not worth it. I've seen what's happened at our current airline with ALPA. Absolutely nothing, an old 1999 contract, and we are (yet again) on ICE from the NMB. Great. I look at Skywest, and what do you know, it's probably the best regional to work for in terms of QOL, pay.

You know that because you don't work there.

What happened to SkyWest health care plan?

Only a HDMP in 2012.

ALPA has helped erode this career right down the drain. There are no collective balls. Just pushovers and rollovers.

Spoke to an ALPA rep one time regarding a CLEAR and EGREGIOUS violation of our CBA, and guess what I was told. "Fly now, grieve later." Any union with balls would have said, "No, fark it! Do not fly now, it is illegal per the CBA!" Like I said, pushovers.

And as for the grievances, good luck hearing back from those. It'll take a looooong time (sometimes years) for anything to get done. Personally, I'd rather be at Skywest and not pay the 1.95%. Sure it's a gamble, but one I'd be willing to take. And yes, if JetBlue hired me, I'd be out the door in a heartbeat.

If your rep had suggested you disobey an order from managemen and you got fired, what would you have done? Let me guss, blame ALPA, right? Any union rep worth his salt would have said the same thing. "Obey now, grieve later" is the method recognized by law, all the way up to the supreme court, as the best way t deal with managment/labor conflicts.

NO. If I got fired for that particular instance, I would have easily gotten my job back once grieved, including back pay, because what they were doing was just a downright violation of the CBA.
"Obey now, grieve later" is the method recognized by law, all the way up to the supreme court, as the best way t deal with managment/labor conflicts.
That's a one way street! I bet you if I ever violated a company policy, it wouldn't be "leave him be, fire him later." It would be instant termination. So why the hell should we "fly now, grieve later." It's the principal of the matter, it is all screwed up, and if ALPA had a collective set of balls, it would be different. Now that Moak is national ALPA head honcho, I expect more of a "bend over and take it" era. Our dues will subsidize Moak's huge salary and cars, all the while ALPA refusing to take a stand.

NO. If I got fired for that particular instance, I would have easily gotten my job back once grieved, including back pay, because what they were doing was just a downright violation of the CBA.

That's a one way street! I bet you if I ever violated a company policy, it wouldn't be "leave him be, fire him later." It would be instant termination. So why the hell should we "fly now, grieve later." It's the principal of the matter, it is all screwed up, and if ALPA had a collective set of balls, it would be different. Now that Moak is national ALPA head honcho, I expect more of a "bend over and take it" era. Our dues will subsidize Moak's huge salary and cars, all the while ALPA refusing to take a stand.

Okay Capt Hard Ass, did you refuse the assignment? You're were in the right and would have easily gotten your job back, right? Didn't think so. You rolled over and did what you were told. Your ALPA rep gave you good advice. Unless it was illegal per FARs your only recourse is to fly now, grieve later. That's the way the game is played. At least with a union you had a grievance process and reps/lawyers on your side of the table.

Latest resources

Back