• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The hiring boom is here!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah, drop out of school to grab one of those $18k/yr flying jobs!

AWESOME!!

Fall back value of degree overrated

Drproc; The fallback value of a degree is greatly over rated. I have a BS and a Master's in Management, but at age 53, I was making $250/wk loading cargo. After Zantop pretended to go out of went out of business in 1997, I had been a temporary High School Chemistry Teacher up until two weeks before the cargo job came along. However, they do not teach school in the summer so I had to take the cargo job. The value of an unused degree is highly over rated. 53 year old unemployed airline pilots are not eagerly greeted in any industry that I know of, even of having a couple degrees. Of course, I did not apply for many of the "College degree preferred jobs" such as apt manager, telephone direct sales, and plumbing floor manager at Home Depot, etc. If you get a college degree you have to use, the knowledge gained in college has to be used to develop a career or the degree is useless. After getting a degree, flying an airplane is not a knowledge expanding experience; it is skill development experience. Anyone with 15-20 years in the cockpit care to chime in and share their experiences on re-entering the non-aviation job market after being out of college 20-30 years?

Last edited:
OK, now I take back what I said. He wasn't being sarcastic.

I meet a lot of recent college graduates.

And they all say the same thing: "Hi! Welcome to Fridays!"

(Sing while clapping: "They say this is your birthday, this is your special day.....")

Get your degree. There are many good arguments for doing this; fallback value, check in the box, knowledge expansion, becoming well-rounded, becoming more competitive, and so on and so forth.

Personally, I'm glad that my degree is completed because it opens up opportunities. Basically, as soon as I get the time, I'm not limited as to what I can do. If I want to work for SWA, I can. If I want to work for NetJets, I can. If I want to work for FedEx, well, I can do that too. If I want to work for USA Jet, well, I can even do that too, provided I can get past one of Yip's interviews. It's sort of the same rationale as staying a flight instructor until I get 135 mins; I can now do what I want to do, as opposed to what I have to do--I have that many more opportunities open up to me.

And for the record, I plan on getting a graduate degree too. Not because I feel I have to to be competitive, and not even for fallback value. It's just because I want to; because I love learning and I want to do it. It would be a cool achievement. There would be many other benefits too, but that would be the main one. And I am now able to pursue graduate studies, because I have completed an undergrad degree. I have that opportunity; I can now do what I want to do.

-Goose

Get your degree. There are many good arguments for doing this; fallback value, check in the box, knowledge expansion, becoming well-rounded, becoming more competitive, and so on and so forth.

Personally, I'm glad that my degree is completed because it opens up opportunities. Basically, as soon as I get the time, I'm not limited as to what I can do. If I want to work for SWA, I can. If I want to work for NetJets, I can. If I want to work for FedEx, well, I can do that too. If I want to work for USA Jet, well, I can even do that too, provided I can get past one of Yip's interviews. It's sort of the same rationale as staying a flight instructor until I get 135 mins; I can now do what I want to do, as opposed to what I have to do--I have that many more opportunities open up to me.

And for the record, I plan on getting a graduate degree too. Not because I feel I have to to be competitive, and not even for fallback value. It's just because I want to; because I love learning and I want to do it. It would be a cool achievement. There would be many other benefits too, but that would be the main one. And I am now able to pursue graduate studies, because I have completed an undergrad degree. I have that opportunity; I can now do what I want to do.

-Goose

Goose - stop right now!!!!! You're making too much sense and using too much logic. I've gone round and round with pilotyip on this same subject and this guy has absolutely no clue. All he does is preach his poison about dropping out of school and getting an 18K a year job in his so called grandeur of this "hiring boom." What a complete falacy. There is nothing more important in today's world than being educated from a solid 4 year school (online is fine as well as long as it is accredited). Anything, and I mean anything could throw a wrench in your flying career and literally in hours it could be over (medical issue, legal problem, personal issue, etc...). Now, you need plan B...and you're not going anywhere without a college degree for plan B.

And his blabber about not being able to make anything at 53 with a college degree...what bullsh*t. With a college degree and some gumption, you can do anything if you set your mind to it. Open a business, apply to a fortune 500 company, hell - even go to medical school. My wife has multiple folks in her med school class in their 40's and 50's that are doing great because they WANT TO. That's what hard work and a college degree gets you - plan B, C, D, or whatever you want it to be.

You know, a wise old-timer once told me...

"The issue is not whether or not you get furloughed, but how many times."

Get your degree, in something else other than aviation. There will be times you won't have the luxury of carrying passengers around.

I love women.

Check my posts, I have nothing against a college degree, Bobby and I settled this 5 years ago. But if you want to be a pilot going to college full time puts you behind those pilots building resume stuff. Go to college on line so you can check the box when you apply at FedEx. My classic 25 year old DC-9 Captain with 5000 hours, most of it Turbo Jet. No full time college, but he has completed his on-line degree from an accredited university. BTW how many 4-yr. college grads have 5000 hour mostly heavy jet by the time they hit 25? This is whom the 4-yr. guys will b e competing against when they apply for their jobs. BTW a degree in business is a nice one to get, helps you understand money.

Check my posts, I have nothing against a college degree, Bobby and I settled this 5 years ago. But if you want to be a pilot going to college full time puts you behind those pilots building resume stuff. Go to college on line so you can check the box when you apply at FedEx. My classic 25 year old DC-9 Captain with 5000 hours, most of it Turbo Jet. No full time college, but he has completed his on-line degree from an accredited university. BTW how many 4-yr. college grads have 5000 hour mostly heavy jet by the time they hit 25? This is whom the 4-yr. guys will b e competing against when they apply for their jobs. BTW a degree in business is a nice one to get, helps you understand money.

Na I got one of them and I don't know much about money....except I do not have enough of it.

Latest resources

Back