• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The hiring boom is here!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As much as I disagree with Pilotyip's outlook on college, he's been calling this hiring boom for like three years and he at least needs a hand for that.

As much as I disagree with Pilotyip's outlook on college, he's been calling this hiring boom for like three years and he at least needs a hand for that.

Yep, he called it. He's also correct about college. There are a few who have been hired at UPS and Southwest without college degrees in recent years.

Yep, he called it. He's also correct about college. There are a few who have been hired at UPS and Southwest without college degrees in recent years.

You are exactly right - a few, and a very few indeed. Most of the hires are college grads - and there is a reason for that. When they say they "strongly desire" (SWA) or "it is mandatory" (FDX), there is certainly a method to their madness.

You are exactly right - a few, and a very few indeed. Most of the hires are college grads - and there is a reason for that. When they say they "strongly desire" (SWA) or "it is mandatory" (FDX), there is certainly a method to their madness.

Trust me, I agree with you. I think YIP's point is that you can get hired without one, but then again the lottery is 150 mil this week :)

Check my posts, I have nothing against a college degree, Bobby and I settled this 5 years ago. But if you want to be a pilot going to college full time puts you behind those pilots building resume stuff. Go to college on line so you can check the box when you apply at FedEx. My classic 25 year old DC-9 Captain with 5000 hours, most of it Turbo Jet. No full time college, but he has completed his on-line degree from an accredited university. BTW how many 4-yr. college grads have 5000 hour mostly heavy jet by the time they hit 25? This is whom the 4-yr. guys will b e competing against when they apply for their jobs. BTW a degree in business is a nice one to get, helps you understand money.

I agree with this completely. All of those years that a lot of my peers dedicated to full time college I chose to build time flight instructing and flying charter/corporate. At 19 I was a CFI and by 20 I was flying corporate jets full-time. I'm now 26 with over 4000 hours, most of which is in various jet aircraft. With a few more semesters of college classes I will also have a Bachelor's degree. College is a lot easier to deal with now that I have an income that actually allows me to pay for it.

I'm not trying to brag or gloat, I worked quite hard to get where I am. I just want to point out that there are many roads that one could take to get where they want to go. You don't have to sign your life away to some expensive aviation college to make a decent living as a pilot.

Last edited:
Again there are many ways to skin at cat (get a pilot's job), the non-full time college is just one of them. I only offer an alternative to be copnsidered, based upon what I have seen in this industry over the last 45 years. Plus I know just by posting the truth, I will get a raise out of some of the "Full time College only" crowd. BTW the USA Jet at ORD was a Basketball Charter.

How long will this college vs. no college debate go on???? If you need a new topic I have a few additional questions for you to consider:

Ford or Chevy?
Coke or Pepsi?
Fish or Cut Bait?
Democrat or Republican?
Shaken or Stirred?
Table or Booth?
Aisle or Window?
Soup or Salad?
Blonde or Brunette?

You can argue the college thing (or any of the above topics) all day long and still not get anywhere. At the end of the day, It all comes down to personal choice. If you want to pass on college and devote your time and money to building flight time so be it. If you want to go to school and get an education and have the means to do it, so be that too! Everyone's career path and career goals are going to be different. As pilots we are paid to be critical thinkers, As such this is not a black and white issue. There is no "one size fits all" answer on the best way to do it.

Here's an experiment for you: Find a successful, experienced pilot, that is nearing retirement and ask them what they would have done differently along the way. I guarantee the answers will astound you. Your personal and professional goals and desires at 19, 23 or 30 are alot different than those at 45,50 or 60 years old...once again no "one size fits all" answer.

In high school I couldnt wait to get into Army Aviation and fly helos, oops that didnt work out (eyesight), get ratings, CFI, Charter, no one hiring, need 1500/500 just to get job in commuter turboprop..... after I finally got 1000 TPIC, all I wanted was to get on with USAir and live in CLT, application and check returned to me in the fall of 2001, sorry no more hiring. Stick it out for a few more years at the commuters, leave to go to Part 91 Corp flight department. Good QOL, get to spend a ton of time with my little ones, my primary goal and concern now is to see that they are provided for. Funny thing is that corporate flying was not even in my original plan at 19 or 20. Dont get me wrong I'd still love to fly a heavy jet or make a PA that said "Welcome to Narita" but who the hell knows. I'll let you know in about 25 years if I made the right choices.

The point to all this rambling is that there is no best way or foolproof way to manage this career. College or not, have a back up plan and some rainy day funds set aside.

Sorry for the long rant. Carry on......

Last edited:
The point to all this rambling is that there is no best way or foolproof way to manage this career. College or not, have a back up plan and some rainy day funds set aside.

Excellent call. That guy who had 4000 hours of TPIC and a degree is in awesome shape for what he wants to do. I have a degree and 0 TPIC, and I'm really not in that bad of shape for what I want to do. Go figure. There are definitely many ways to skin the cat... and we don't all want to skin the same cat, for that matter.

And we don't all need to go to fancy aviation schools to be successful; I'm a Part 61 poster child.

Anyway, I do think Yip's advice to drop out of school is a bit irresponsible, but that's not any news to him. Definitely do what works out best for you all, but please be careful and be responsible. Seniority means everything... as long as your company stays in business and you keep your medical!!! So I guess seniority doesn't really mean that much after all! Might as well slow down, enjoy the ride, and make adequate preparations for life.

-Goose

Last edited:
Again there are many ways to skin at cat (get a pilot's job), the non-full time college is just one of them. I only offer an alternative to be copnsidered, based upon what I have seen in this industry over the last 45 years. Plus I know just by posting the truth, I will get a raise out of some of the "Full time College only" crowd. BTW the USA Jet at ORD was a Basketball Charter.

I agree with YIP. I decided to focus on my CFI and then Commuter carreer after I got my 2 year degree.
In the mean time I became a Captain and I now have 880 121 Turbine PIC and took a couple of classes here and there at my local community college.
I just started going back to school in january and should be finished with a 4 year degree in about 6-8 months .
Another guy who was in my flight school wanted to finish his degree first. he did but he just got hired in my company and is now my FO.

Latest resources

Back