• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The End of USAPA is finally upon us

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
agreed, and i'll say again that a pilot's worth has nothing to do with the financial condition of his airline.

But for some reason you keep ignoring the usair pilots' career expectations in 2005: Over a third of their list already furloughed with more coming. Awa in 2005 was hiring and had scheduled growth airplane deliveries. Add to that the usair bk-decimated contract and that's why george nicolau stated: "this necessarily means that career expectations differed and that us airways pilots had more to gain from the merger than their new colleagues."
first of all, nicolau made the decision so the accusatory "taking advantage" just belies your bias against the awa pilots. Second, it's laughable to infer usair's troubles in 2005 were "temporary". Suffice it to say nobody except liars and the severely deluded think usair would've lasted even another month without a merger.

Mind you, none of this was the pilots' fault and i don't use the word "deserve". But read the nicolau award again. For the usair pilots to regain what they lost can only come at the expense of the awa pilots. Truly neutral observers (iow, not people like you) can plainly see the unfairness of that. So you can believe doh is the only fair way to integrate but the people who actually get to make that decision are more interested in fairness than you are.

Word.

From another neutral outsider.

Agreed, and I'll say again that a pilot's worth has nothing to do with the financial condition of his airline.

But for some reason you keep ignoring the USAir pilots' career expectations in 2005: over a third of their list already furloughed with more coming.

Career expectations are subjective. That is basically my problem with the merger process formerly known as ALPA's. It pits one group against another--severely. USAir was done furloughing. They had a "subsidiary" set up. You ignore the fact that during the SLI hearings, USAir was actively recalling. By the time the list actually was emailed out from Niccolau, every pilot was back at USAir who wanted to be.

Bottom line, if you are going to pick 1 day (known as a PID) to define a pilot's career expectations, you will wildly miss the mark every time. At the same time, them's the rules. So my retort is that on that one day, USAir was a viable company, and every pilot on their list had the opportunity to engage in widebody, global flying. Their twiceBK contract darn near equaled America Wests non-bk contract in terms of strict compensation. I don't know enough about the intangibles to say with fairness the actual value of the two contracts. BK is temporary. Delta did it, and look at them now. UAL did it and look at them now. CAL did it and look at them now. Suffice to say, any speculation on the pending demise of USAir is just that, speculation and IMO has no place in the mediation of an airline pilot seniority list. Career expectations are a farce. They are determined by history, on the day each pilot retires. If you want to look at the history of the two airlines, they speak for themselves

AWA in 2005 was hiring and had scheduled growth airplane deliveries. Add to that the USAir BK-decimated contract and that's why George Nicolau stated: "This necessarily means that career expectations differed and that US Airways pilots had more to gain from the merger than their new colleagues."

I have been saying that Niccolau blew it. Any quote from the ruling, I've read. I don't agree with it, nor the logic behind it. It is the equivalent of merging Delta with Allegiant when Delta was in BK, and now Delta is posting 800 million a quarter profit. Give me a break. USAir management, like all of the other well paying airline managements, used the BK process after 911 to attempt to permanently reset the wages which has been attained during the good times. They all have furloughs, and have all been "days" away from closing their doors.

So you can believe DOH is the only fair way to integrate but the people who actually get to make that decision are more interested in fairness than you are.

I have no doubt that the guy was interested in fairness. At the same time, he blew it. Think of all the seniority mergers which have occurred under the RLA act. Now consider that this one wasn't consummated and name me another. You are telling me that this is because the USAir guys are just bigger a**holes than EVERY other pilot group on the south end of a SLI? Or could it be that the NIC was just that egregious of an award. Enev better is to look at the actions of ALPA, and the people in control of ALPA since this SLI to change ALPA merger policy. It's all there for those to see, who can truly look with the objective eye

I am not married to DOH, just show me another way that is objective. Even more importantly, integrate the lists any way you want, but protect flying of each former group. This is perhaps an even greater travesty of the NIC. While you all applaud the AWA pilots and castigate the USAir pilots, you are punishing and rewarding the children while ignoring the underlying problem--like most failed parents.

As I said, you are not going to change my mind, and I no doubt will not change yours. If you are indeed former TWA, I find it distasteful that you seem to have forgotten what it was like when the AA pilots swooped in to feed on a carcass. Now you want to do the same? Payback I guess? You have now hitched you horse to the AWA wagon and need that success on the backs of the USAir pilots?

Career expectations are subjective.
Furloughing vs hiring. Airframe deliveries vs selling. Wages and workrule comparisons.
These are objective facts and these are what Nicolau looked at.
You ignore the fact that during the SLI hearings, USAir was actively recalling.
Are you deliberately trying to be funny? USAir was recalling only because the merger kept them in business. Events taking place ex post facto are not relevant to the SLI.
I have been saying that Niccolau blew it.
So you've said. You're entitled to your opinion but unlike me you refuse to admit your bias. Why is that?
You are telling me that this is because the USAir guys are just bigger a**holes than EVERY other pilot group on the south end of a SLI?
Prior to the merger I had a favorable opinion of the USAir pilots. Their actions since have made them deserving of scorn.
I am not married to DOH, just show me another way that is objective.
Every merger is different therefore no one SLI method can be fair.
If you are indeed former TWA, I find it distasteful that you seem to have forgotten what it was like when the AA pilots swooped in to feed on a carcass.
You have no standing to lecture me! Unlike USAirways, the TWA pilots were denied a chance at a fair integration with AA. The AWA and USAir pilots negotiated as equals and both sides agreed to let the arbitrator decide. That's as fair as it gets. Honorable people with integrity abide by their commitments. The East pilots and their apologists like you make us all look bad.

Furloughing vs hiring. Airframe deliveries vs selling. Wages and workrule comparisons. These are objective facts and these are what Nicolau looked at.

Oh cool, now let's look at the revenue picture today and see where the money is made at USAir. There is nothing objective about a company trying to extract massive concessions out of a pilot group during a BK, and then doing it again after not getting enough the first time. America West pilots can't understand that because their compensation has always been at those levels.

Are you deliberately trying to be funny? USAir was recalling only because the merger kept them in business. Events taking place ex post facto are not relevant to the SLI.

USAirways was recalling because they needed pilots to keep the operation going. Do you recall where the money came from in order to fund the merger. Hint: it was the USAir side of the house.

So you've said. You're entitled to your opinion but unlike me you refuse to admit your bias. Why is that?

Bias? Because the mediator blew the SLI? You have to look no further than UAL, DAL, or CAL to se where USAir would be today as a stand alone, or at least a similar circumstance. I know that this simple factoid interferes with the West windfall, but makes the point germane. the revenue is from the East operation. West pilots fly east to generate revenue. SWA has a stronghold in PHX, which would have eventually led to the demise of AWA. Wow, prognostication can be fun!!

Prior to the merger I had a favorable opinion of the USAir pilots. Their actions since have made them deserving of scorn.Every merger is different therefore no one SLI method can be fair. You have no standing to lecture me! Unlike USAirways, the TWA pilots were denied a chance at a fair integration with AA. The AWA and USAir pilots negotiated as equals and both sides agreed to let the arbitrator decide. That's as fair as it gets. Honorable people with integrity abide by their commitments. The East pilots and their apologists like you make us all look bad.

The pilot groups certainly did not negotiate as equals. USAir was punished for being in chapter 11, which has nothing to do with seniority issues.

As I have said, find me an objective method and I will be your largest fan. the older the DOH, the older the pilot, generally speaking. The newer the DOH, the younger the pilot, generally speaking. The methodology is unbiased, it is cut and dry. Throw in meaningful fences--which will be subjective, and you can make an SLI award as fair as it can be.

I am sure that you opinion of the USAir pilots keeps them awake at night. Many share that opinion of the TWA pilots, who ironically sued a company you by your own logic saved their jobs. Laughable, but not surprising. Once a suer, always a suer.

...and yes, I have standing as a former TWA pilot, to lecture.

Carry on, crybaby.

Puffdriver, I bet any unbiased observer would look at you posts and TWA Dude's and conclude it's you that's the cry baby. Just a hunch.

Puffdriver, I bet any unbiased observer would look at you posts and TWA Dude's and conclude it's you that's the cry baby. Just a hunch.

They might; but, then again, find me an unbiased observer. In the meantime, I'll stick with reality that the historically better airline, historically better compensated pilots, historically senior, and older pilots were victims of a biased mediator while a historically second rate, younger, less senior, historically bankruptcy compensated gained access to global widebody flying almost immediately at the expense of the former.

That was prohibited by ALPA merger policy. And people want to cite the fact that one airline was running through a rough patch, like many survivors before and since, in a merger cooked up by the drunk CEO--who's airline was 1/3 owned by the government, and who's financial salvation was cooked up by the bankrupt airline as justification?

Even better, some guy comes in with the "nanna, nanna boo boo" argument.

My interest lies elsewhere, so your "hunch" is a bit off. Fair enough, though, i'll go away and let the "sue happy" West pilots, formerly known as "sue happy" TWA pilots reign. Remember though, it was these guys who led the charge for the change in age 60, and are doubtlessly leading the charge for even higher, while enjoying a lottery ticket to the bigs and suing for even more. Yeah, real underdogs there.

USAirways was recalling because they needed pilots to keep the operation going. Do you recall where the money came from in order to fund the merger. Hint: it was the USAir side of the house.
I can see now the only person you're trying to convince is yourself. Good luck with that.
...and yes, I have standing as a former TWA pilot, to lecture.
I'm so sorry you were terminated from TWA. Don'tcha think it's time to get over the sour grapes?

Puff, go to group at the VA or watch some Dr.Phil and stop hating the world...

P.S.- calling AAA going thru a rough patch is like saying the Titanic took on some water...

Last edited:
"Historically second rate"???

As a paying passenger a decade ago I would have DAMN sure rather ridden on ANY AWA plane before riding on a USAir POS. And I have friends on the East side.

As a paying passenger now, commuting to work, I literally BEG our travel department to NOT put me on LCC. Ever. The East ruined a pretty decent airline out west and I curse Parker for doing it and not letting the East die as it surely would have.

Puff, your last post indicates quite clearly that you have been PUFFING more than you've been driving.

Frankly, you're either delusional or overdue for a pee test.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back