• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The Delta vote

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You should become a MBA then, write a GMAT of 600-650 get into the good school and the world will be yours. The beauty of being a pilot is when you set the braking brake you do not to think about the job until the next flightm even if it is 4 weeks away. A MBA never escapes their job, it is always there something else to be done, a project unfinished, a new crisis. That is why I got out of busines and came back to flying, that way my free time is my time, not the comapnies.
BTW: I think average MBA salary is from a top school, not your on-line get your MBA school.

I have an MBA.

I googled MBA salaries for 2011 grads. The figure was a median income expectation.

My point is that if you consider your investment of time, money and education you might be better off going to medical/law school or obtaining a graduate degree. Really depends on the individual. I enjoy flying but the compensation package is not comensurate with the overall investment - and we have some influence here.

Last edited:
Except that you actually end up with MORE rjs in 2020 than if u keep scope status quo.

That is patently and unequivocally false. Have you read the Notepad on scope?

I have an MBA.

I googled MBA salaries for 2011 grads. The figure was a median income expectation.

My point is that if you consider your investment of time, money and education you might be better off going to medical/law school or obtaining a graduate degree. Really depends on the individual. I enjoy flying but the compensation package is not comensurate with the overall investment - and we have some influence here.
Then you have made the right choice if you like to fly, I know I did.

The MBA employee wouldn't voluntarily sell out his job to someone with a Bachelor of Arts because the work was beneath him to work on such a small account. He would realize that lots of small accounts turn into large profits, more flexibility of schedule, and more job security.

Here is some elementary information to consider before voting.

The average MBA can graduate and expect to recieve a median compensation package of $94,500 annual. That equates to $48 hourly for a standard work week. $48 an hour. Ok. (5th year compensation is around $124,000)

I try to get 80 hours of pay each month, which hardly ever happens anymore, and that takes me away from my family and home approximately 280 hours. I know that isn't exactly the same but if I'm not home, I'm working.

6th year MD88 compensation, as of this new contract, is approximately $133,000. This includes the 15% into retirement. That equates to $39.50 an hour for my investment of time.

Even if this contract is approved we still are not making what a 24 year old MBA makes. Not to mention the responsibility, missed birthdays, holidays, cookouts, life events, etc. that we endure. These things have value.

At first I was leaning towards voting yes but the more I look at this the more I see how dreadful this industry has become.

We are a commodity - just like fuel. Airlines don't get a break on fuel just because they think it costs too much.

Just something to think about.

Pilotyip is right, go get an MBA and go work for a hedge fund. The problem we face today is none of our peers have made ANY gains in the last 8 years. None. We would like to compare ourselves with FedEx and UPS, but the NMB has said NO to that (in a personal meeting with our MEC a year ago). That doesn't mean we have to accept anything they throw at us, but this TA did have some good points.

First off, it's duration is for 3 years. Our current contract was for 4 years, and we now have a TA 7 months early. Why is that? Nobody knows (except maybe ALPA, who can't say what is going on because of signed agreements). Is that a carrot? Maybe, but unless you know exactly what may or may not happen, you have zero leverage, because the CEO probably has different plans on how the vote comes out. These people aren't stupid.

Second, the pay is good for a 3 year deal. Almost 20%. Normally we would have started negotiating at the amendable date (Dec 31st of this year) and then continued for about 2 years. Instead, we will have an extra 20% in pay by then, and ready to exchange new openers soon after. Other parts of the TA are good too, like better sick leave, training pay, vacation pay, per diem, etc. Not huge gains, but better.

Third, scope. Scope is a huge issue with RJs and 777s flown by other airlines in play. The TA reduced the total number of RJs, which is huge. Some of the 50 seaters may have been leaving anyway, but many also had long lease agreements still entact. It makes economic sense to upgrade some of those planes to planes that can do better at certain markets. Then tie the 717s to any additional 76 seaters, and keep DCI at a ratio of domestic flying that finally favors mainline, that is better. Not every contract has had an increase for DCI, the joint contract with DL/NW is an example, but this one starts to point the DCI dominance in the other direction, which is better. Throw in tighter scope for INTL code shares and Joint Ventures, and tightening of domestic code shares like with Alaska Airlines, it's just a no brainer.

Overall, it's not perfect, but thanks to zero help from our peers and nothing more than a guess to what our management's next move is, this actually looks pretty good. Mostly gains, short contract length, almost 20% in 3 years, and tighter scope overall.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Pilotyip is right, go get an MBA and go work for a hedge fund. The problem we face today is none of our peers have made ANY gains in the last 8 years. None. We would like to compare ourselves with FedEx and UPS, but the NMB has said NO to that (in a personal meeting with our MEC a year ago). That doesn't mean we have to accept anything they throw at us, but this TA did have some good points.

First off, it's duration is for 3 years. Our current contract was for 4 years, and we now have a TA 7 months early. Why is that? Nobody knows (except maybe ALPA, who can't say what is going on because of signed agreements). Is that a carrot? Maybe, but unless you know exactly what may or may not happen, you have zero leverage, because the CEO probably has different plans on how the vote comes out. These people aren't stupid.

Second, the pay is good for a 3 year deal. Almost 20%. Normally we would have started negotiating at the amendable date (Dec 31st of this year) and then continued for about 2 years. Instead, we will have an extra 20% in pay by then, and ready to exchange new openers soon after. Other parts of the TA are good too, like better sick leave, training pay, vacation pay, per diem, etc. Not huge gains, but better.

Third, scope. Scope is a huge issue with RJs and 777s flown by other airlines in play. The TA reduced the total number of RJs, which is huge. Some of the 50 seaters may have been leaving anyway, but many also had long lease agreements still entact. It makes economic sense to upgrade some of those planes to planes that can do better at certain markets. Then tie the 717s to any additional 76 seaters, and keep DCI at a ratio of domestic flying that finally favors mainline, that is better. Not every contract has had an increase for DCI, the joint contract with DL/NW is an example, but this one starts to point the DCI dominance in the other direction, which is better. Throw in tighter scope for INTL code shares and Joint Ventures, and tightening of domestic code shares like with Alaska Airlines, it's just a no brainer.

Overall, it's not perfect, but thanks to zero help from our peers and nothing more than a guess to what our management's next move is, this actually looks pretty good. Mostly gains, short contract length, almost 20% in 3 years, and tighter scope overall.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Nice to see you can be bought General. Did you dunk your head in the ALPA roadshow koolaid punch bowl? Make no mistake adding 70+ seaters is R E L I E F. Anybody who sees this as facilitating the parking of 50 seaters is either fooling themselves or just freaking clueless. The 50's and any 'lease agreements' will always be the company's problem not the pilot group's.

I find it funny that I increasingly see DAL YES voters blaming Unical for making no progress at the negotiating table. The only offer our illustrious CEO has given us is current DAL+$1. Would you have preferred we took that?!? Btw that got the h*ll no because nobody wanted to take the bend over DAL scope. Heaven forbid we try to prevent growth of the large RJ's that caused thousands to get furloughed. Silly Unical pilots!

And make no mistake DAL ALPA did NOTHING to get this TA. This is all management's doing which should make you heavily skeptical right away. Lee Moak's boys would have done no better with Sismek and McDonald on the other side of the table.

Thanks for completely cutting the knees off the Unical scope stance. Congratulations Joe Merchants of the world! Not only we you right that GL would sell out, but you get to fly big jets indefinitely from now on.

Last edited:
Delta's TA doesn't help United fight off bigger regional jets. No help from peers there.

Did you expect Dalpa to go back and recapture every current 76 seater flying for DL? Currently there are 153 of the 76 seaters flying for Delta? That would have been very very expensive, and zero pay raises would have been managements probable offer, maybe a pay cut to pay for that. UAL already had 70 seaters flying through FCAL hubs, something CAL pilots said couldn't happen. Well, it did. UAL has a large RJ problem just like most legacies do. Maybe the best course of action would be to get a cap on numbers, and then get a ratio for improvements on current domestic flying, mainline vs United Express. That would be a great start for getting that issue under control. Right now, they can't even get their MECs together without huge disagreements. They have a long way to go.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Nice to see you can be bought General. Did you dunk your head in the ALPA roadshow koolaid punch bowl? Make no mistake adding 70+ seaters is R E L I E F. Anybody who sees this as facilitating the parking of 50 seaters is either fooling themselves or just freaking clueless. The 50's and any 'lease agreements' will always be the company's problem not the pilot group's.

I find it funny that I increasingly see DAL YES voters blaming Unical for making no progress at the negotiating table. The only offer our illustrious CEO has given us is current DAL+$1. Would you have preferred we took that?!? Btw that got the h*ll no because nobody wanted to take the bend over DAL scope. Heaven forbid we try to prevent growth of the large RJ's that caused thousands to get furloughed. Silly Unical pilots!

And make no mistake DAL ALPA did NOTHING to get this TA. This is all management's doing which should make you heavily skeptical right away. Lee Moak's boys would have done no better with Sismek and McDonald on the other side of the table.

Thanks for completely cutting the knees off the Unical scope stance. Congratulations Joe Merchants of the world! Not only we you right that GL would sell out, but you get to fly big jets indefinitely from now on.

Get your own problems fixed between your groups, and then help with pattern bargaining. Your MECs can't get it together. One does one thing, with the other finally agreeing after its pressured to do so. Ridiculous, and thanks to your infighting, Dalpa has zero leverage with NMB mediation if it goes that route. That is partly YOUR fault. Get it together, and then you can start the blame game. Your pay is far away lower than our proposal, and you have worse scope overall. Yes, you don't have 76 seaters, but you have plenty of 70 seaters, which still cover for your parked UAL 737-300s. You also have Dash8-400s that allowed for 737-500 parkings at CAL in EWR. Colgan now will just transfer those planes to Republic, still covering for those parked planes. How many Dash-8-400s can you guys have? Unlimited. Those apparently were guppy killers.

I hope you do get DL + $1 for your pay and tighten up your scope. Your combined contracts are horrible, and it will cost your management a ton to bring them up to ours with this TA. No wonder your management seems to be stalling. Good luck with that.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Latest resources

Back