The Delta vote

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Linedriver

Here is some elementary information to consider before voting.

The average MBA can graduate and expect to recieve a median compensation package of $94,500 annual. That equates to $48 hourly for a standard work week. $48 an hour. Ok. (5th year compensation is around $124,000)

I try to get 80 hours of pay each month, which hardly ever happens anymore, and that takes me away from my family and home approximately 280 hours. I know that isn't exactly the same but if I'm not home, I'm working.

6th year MD88 compensation, as of this new contract, is approximately $133,000. This includes the 15% into retirement. That equates to $39.50 an hour for my investment of time.

Even if this contract is approved we still are not making what a 24 year old MBA makes. Not to mention the responsibility, missed birthdays, holidays, cookouts, life events, etc. that we endure. These things have value.

At first I was leaning towards voting yes but the more I look at this the more I see how dreadful this industry has become.

We are a commodity - just like fuel. Airlines don't get a break on fuel just because they think it costs too much.

Just something to think about.

Here is some elementary information to consider before voting.

The average MBA can graduate and expect to recieve a median compensation package of $94,500 annual. That equates to $48 hourly for a standard work week. $48 an hour. Ok. (5th year compensation is around $124,000)

I try to get 80 hours of pay each month, which hardly ever happens anymore, and that takes me away from my family and home approximately 280 hours. I know that isn't exactly the same but if I'm not home, I'm working.

6th year MD88 compensation, as of this new contract, is approximately $133,000. This includes the 15% into retirement. That equates to $39.50 an hour for my investment of time.

Even if this contract is approved we still are not making what a 24 year old MBA makes. Not to mention the responsibility, missed birthdays, holidays, cookouts, life events, etc. that we endure. These things have value.

At first I was leaning towards voting yes but the more I look at this the more I see how dreadful this industry has become.

We are a commodity - just like fuel. Airlines don't get a break on fuel just because they think it costs too much.

Just something to think about.
You should become a MBA then, write a GMAT of 600-650 get into the good school and the world will be yours. The beauty of being a pilot is when you set the braking brake you do not to think about the job until the next flightm even if it is 4 weeks away. A MBA never escapes their job, it is always there something else to be done, a project unfinished, a new crisis. That is why I got out of busines and came back to flying, that way my free time is my time, not the comapnies.
BTW: I think average MBA salary is from a top school, not your on-line get your MBA school.

You should become a MBA then, write a GMAT of 600-650 get into the good school and the world will be yours. The beauty of being a pilot is when you set the braking brake you do not to think about the job until the next flightm even if it is 4 weeks away. A MBA never escapes their job, it is always there something else to be done, a project unfinished, a new crisis. That is why I got out of busines and came back to flying, that way my free time is my time, not the comapnies.
BTW: I think average MBA salary is from a top school, not your on-line get your MBA school.

100% true

Not fueling the fire, but I'm curious how current this figure is. I'd bet this is a bit exadurated in today's market. My Fiance' has an MBA, a law degree, and makes 52k as a practicing attourney. After seeing how much she works, there's no way I'd subject myself to that way of life. I'll take my airplane, thank you : )

You don't get what's fair. You don't get what you or anyone else thinks you're worth. You get what you negotiate.

The question is this: Which of the following scenarios is more beneficial to the Delta pilot group ...

1) We vote yes and get fewer RJ's, more mainline flying, improved JV scope and a 20% raise over the next 2.5 yrs at which point we will be the highest-paid pilots in the country, barring improvements at SWA/FDX/UPS. Before that point we will enter negotiations for our next contract.

2) We vote no and send the negotiators back. We may get a better deal (the record since 9-11 is spotty here.) We may wind up in mediation (average 29 months -- how are our peers doing?) We may go to arbitration and get this deal two and a half years from now.

It's poker.

To be honest I'm back on the fence after spending last week leaning towards a yes vote. The pay increase is abysmal. No reason we should wait 2.5 years. But I wasn't at the table, the NC was and they seem to think this is the best we'll get.

I WILL vote no.
But, I'm not going to stress myself for what I can't control (that's why I left the business world.)
If we vote the contract down, I hope we get more money and fewer RJ's. That is my preference. If that works out, great. If we spend years trying, worst case I miss some of a lousy raise.
If the TA passes, it's a shame, but it's a slight raise, ratio of RJ's decrease (I know, I know), and we start negotiating again in two and a half years.
Again, I'm voting NO, and all my sixth year FO friends say they're doing the same.
I fully expected Southwest money, and I am disappointed, but I'm glad to be at Delta. I'd be glad to be at Southwest, too (not starting that argument).

If you're willing to work hard have aptitude and reasonable intelligence, open a side business to afford the income you want. The market will determine your worth as an "employee" You'll never become rich, working for someone else and you can't strongarm your way to self-weighted equality.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back