• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The ASA Dulles Deal

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You all think this will go senior or that they will displace?

I doubt they displace, for the sake of argument consider this; if they displaced the bottom 30 from each side, the top 10 of those guys would hold the best lines in IAD. 2 year captains with less than 4 years at the company holding the best lines in IAD??? Not gonna happen. Think about the captains that were hired in late '02 and early '03 who are still on reserve in ATL. They're thinking 'hmmmm, reserve in ATL or top 30% line holder in IAD.' What do you think they're going to do? Then it trickles down from there. I say probably no displacements to do this, it will be easy to find 30 from each seat to bid it.

Last edited:
That really is great news for you guys if it pans out...there is no dobut that you have been crapped on lately. BUT...what will all those ASA gentlemen who give us SKYW pilots such dirty looks when we are in ATL do...refuse the ORD base should one develop :)

That really is great news for you guys if it pans out...there is no dobut that you have been crapped on lately. BUT...what will all those ASA gentlemen who give us SKYW pilots such dirty looks when we are in ATL do...refuse the ORD base should one develop :)

They will conveniently gloss over that little bit of hypocrisy! Well played.

They will conveniently gloss over that little bit of hypocrisy! Well played.

Not discounting what you are saying, and it is certainly not cool to give other pilots from your sister co. any dirty looks, etc. But.......understand the 1 small difference between ASA pilots and Skywest. ASA pilots have been given 1 base/1 hub to fly out of. We have been booted from Dallas (Delta's doing) SLC (Inc's doing) and LAX. And within that 1 hub/base, we are constantly under siege and watch other DCI carriers move in and do flying we used to do, or were supposed to do. (See Skywest 900's) In addition, JA closed down SLC and said it didn't make sense to have both ASA and SKYW operating in the same Delta hub. Then, voila, Skywest in Atlanta with 900's and now 200's. So as Skywest pilots have SLC, ORD, ATL and a gaggle of other small bases throughout the West , ASA pilots have Atlanta. So it's tough to watch our Atlanta flying disappear when we are the only Delta carrier with only 1 hub to operate from.

Anyway, if (never happen) we ever show up in ORD, I hope we all don't sneer at each other.

79 all very good points and I was mostly kidding. As far as bases, we all seem to forget that pilot groups have no control over what gets opened or closed. There is no doubt ASA has been given the red headed step child treatment... I truly hope it changes.

Last edited:
Yeah, but our Flight Attendants can beat up your Flight Attendants!!!

Nanner nanner boo boo!!!

So here's the big question... Will any of this get our furloughees back on property or our displacements back in the left seat? I've heard no, because this flying is only replacing the 20 we're due to lose from Delta in the Spring. Anyone here anything from SH on this? Any thoughts?

Scott has made it very clear that this flying is not growth, but just prevention of further shrinkage, so no returns to the left seat or recalls of furloughs, unfortunately.

Won't some of the displaced captains be able to bid for IAD, and maybe get the chance to go back to the left seat? I guess it all depends on how junior it goes.

I find it hard to believe that there will not be at least a couple folks returning to the left seat. Seems reasonable to me that you might tneed a few more reserves if there are multiple bases.

Don't take it personally, but the Atlanta gentlemen you speak of give everyone dirty looks. It's one of the most unfriendly pilot groups I've run into. We don't even acknowledge each other in the concourses.

has to be Mesa A/C.....Makes you wonder why SkyWest is bringing the Bro back to Denver this fall as well. It won't come close to replacing the Dash 8 but might be a temp fix before UAL finds something better in that market.

MESA's United Code-Sharing Agreement

As of September 30, 2008, we operated 26 CRJ-200, 20 CRJ-700 and 10 Dash-8 aircraft for United under a code-sharing arrangement. Additionally, the code-share agreement allows us to swap up to 10 CRJ-200s for 10 CRJ-700s upon providing at least 180 days notice prior to October 31, 2009. In exchange for performing the flight services under the agreement, we receive from United a fixed monthly minimum amount, plus certain additional amounts based upon the number of flights flown and block hours performed during the month. Additionally, certain costs incurred by us in performing the flight services are “pass-through” costs, whereby United agrees to reimburse us for the actual amounts incurred for these items: aircraft ownership costs, property tax per aircraft, fuel costs, and landing fees. We also receive a profit margin based upon certain reimbursable costs under the agreement as well as our 6
7 operational performance. The code-share agreement for (i) the 10 Dash-8 aircraft terminates in July 2013 unless terminated by United by giving notice six months prior to April 30, 2010, (ii) 10 50-seat CRJ-200’s terminates no later than April 30, 2010, which can be accelerated up to two years at our discretion and can be swapped for CRJ-700’s for a term of up to 10 years but not beyond October 2018, (iii) 20 50-seat regional jets terminate in April 2010, (iv) the 5 CRJ-700’s delivered in fiscal 2007 (the 12 to be delivered upon the withdrawal of the 50-seat regional jets) terminates ten years from delivery date, but no later than October 31, 2018, and (v) the remaining 15 CRJ-700’s terminates in three traunches of five aircraft between December 31, 2011, December 31, 2012 and December 31, 2013.

Latest resources

Back