• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"The Academy"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I mean jesus christ these guys come out never having flown outside of the state of FL, never having done any real flying. Give me a freight dog or part 135 ANY DAY over the guys coming out of the CFI factories these days. A few years ago, at least you had to get REAL flying experience before getting hired at a regional.

These guys get to the regionals, learn how to fly for about a year or two... then upgrade and become the most anal captains out there.

You sound like a pretty fun guy to fly with. I hope you didn't make the FO aware of your opinion on his value as a pilot... Why so much hostility?? So the guy didn't fly for 4 years before getting hired at an entry level regional job. That's the industry today. The experience level is only going to get lower. Others in your position would have done the same had the opportunity been there at the time. Maybe instead of complaining about low time guys you could offer some advice and just maybe do a small part to improve things systemwide. Just a thought.

This "Academy" joke is very old. I have heard many people tell it.

We all learned to fly somewhere. Unless you went to the "real" academy, we basically all started from the same place.

Their just kids trying to figure this airline gig out. When they grow up a bit, get some experience and settle down a bit they'll be alright.

No?

Get over it! They pay good money to Delta for their preferential interview. Otherwise, what would be the incentive?

Deals are made all the time. After all, look what graduates of Embry Riddle and Flight safety get--a preferential interview with ASA!!!!

Posted this ages ago, but I'll bring it back.

A few years ago when most majors were still furloughed back to WWII, I had a passenger get on the airplane wearing an odd looking uniform with "DCA" on the wings.

The flight attendant got curious (not for those reasons either. I think this woman came over on the Mayflower) about who he was and struck up a conversation.

She then told us that the kid went to the Delta Academy, and he told her he was going to fly for Delta some day. The captain and I spent most of the flight alternating between hysterical laughter and mediocre laughter. We just couldn't believe this could would get on a USAir Express flight wearing a DCA uniform, then go bragging about working there "someday".

conversation between my FO and I:

Me: "so what you do prior to getting hired here"?
FO: "I was at the academy"
Me: "Really, that is cool... what is life like at the naval academy?"
FO: "Oh, I went to Delta Connection Academy"

Anyway, this guy proceeded to tell me how Delta is going to have preferential hiring for people who are from "the academy".

What kind of friggin cool-aid do they feed these people down there? I mean jesus christ these guys come out never having flown outside of the state of FL, never having done any real flying. Give me a freight dog or part 135 ANY DAY over the guys coming out of the CFI factories these days. A few years ago, at least you had to get REAL flying experience before getting hired at a regional.

These guys get to the regionals, learn how to fly for about a year or two... then upgrade and become the most anal captains out there.

I believe 4.0. I heard the same thing back in Orlando 2005 when my old company hired a bunch from up the street.

I just responded with "I worked at Sheble's"....huh? I usually get a blank stare and I just smile(miss those days).

Latest resources

Back