• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Swass

So long, America.....
Wonder how well they pay their pilots?

New Airline Offers $10 Tickets on All Flights

Wednesday, April 25, 2007
reuters.gif

ADVERTISEMENTget_a(300,250,"frame1"); dcmaxversion = 9dcminversion = 6DoOn Error Resume Nextplugin = (IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & dcmaxversion & "")))If plugin = true Then Exit Dodcmaxversion = dcmaxversion - 1Loop While dcmaxversion >= dcminversion

NEW YORK —
Skybus Airlines Inc., a new U.S. budget carrier, on Tuesday said it will start flying on May 22 with $10 one-way tickets available on all flights.

"Beginning today, passengers can buy airline tickets for less than the cost of a tank of gas," Skybus CEO Bill Diffenderffer said in a statement.
Click Here to Check Out FOXBusiness.com's Travel Section.
The launch of the new low-cost carrier, which is based in Columbus, Ohio, could pressure established carriers like AMR Corp's (AMR) American Airlines and Delta Air Lines Inc..
Skybus, which plans to acquire more than 70 aircraft over the next five years, hopes to be able to undercut rivals by selling advertising space inside and outside its planes and charging for priority seating and checking bags.
It keeps costs down by only taking reservations over the Internet and not staffing a call center.
The start-up carrier, which has raised $160 million from investors, will have at least 10 seats available for $10 on its flights through December 15. The $10 tickets don't include taxes and fees.
Last-minute fares run as high as $330, spokesman Bob Tenenbaum said.
Skybus plans to fly initially from Columbus to Burbank, California; Portsmouth, New Hampshire; Richmond, Virginia; and Kansas City, Missouri.
On May 29, it plans to add service to Bellingham, Washington; Greensboro/Winston-Salem, North Carolina; and Fort Lauderdale.
In June, Skybus plans to begin flying to Oakland, California.

65 and 30 a year.

I work for Spirit, and am able to make double these numbers.... and we're considered a bottom feeder. I've got friends who fix cars for a living and earn more than $65K a year.

How anyone could justify working for Skybus is beyond me:puke: Skybus must be counting on hiring a lot of pilots whose only experience is a small jet flown/tprop flown for a scumbag operator.

For anyone thinking of trying Skybus, please stop to think about this: you could make more at any one of the better regional airlines in this country. That should tell you something. OBTW, what work rules will you have at Skybus? That's something else to consider.

Finally, if you do hire on at Skybus, you're still welcome on my jumpseat, but only because I want the opportunity to convince you to unionize.

Last edited:
his marketing dept sucks

there is no need to stimlulate demand by offering absurd fares. passenger traffic is strong enough. they can do it by not fumblefarking over themselves.

of course there are probably four seats at ten dollars, the rest are at 99

You don't suppose they'll overbook by the number of ten dollar tickets do you? And since according to their web site they won't have gate agents except minutes before the flight, so I'm sure Darwin is going to claim many those last borders.

And I'm sure the ten dollar people will board last.

It doesn't matter how cheap your fares are if you aren't flying anywhere people want to go.

You don't suppose they'll overbook by the number of ten dollar tickets do you? And since according to their web site they won't have gate agents except minutes before the flight, so I'm sure Darwin is going to claim many those last borders.

And I'm sure the ten dollar people will board last.

boarding priority is done by how soon you check in.
Once again, irrational assumptions.

there is no need to stimlulate demand by offering absurd fares. passenger traffic is strong enough. they can do it by not fumblefarking over themselves.

of course there are probably four seats at ten dollars, the rest are at 99

well, if you'd read a little more in depth about the company before rambling absurd assumptions you'd know that there are 10 seats on every flight offered at $10. The price goes up after that....next to $20, and so on. Flights to BUR, BLI, and OAK already have seats going in the $125 range if you check their web site.

I made more flying an ATR72.

Latest resources

Back