• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Thanks United! Southwest increases Love Departures

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ask any airport manager about which airline pays tts bills. Practically every airline except SWA has fallen way behind followed by bankruptcy, sometimes multiple times. They get to keep their gates. I would call that special treatment!

Last edited:
You tell them Bill

I am also sick of how the Southwest pilots always look at me ,smile and say "hi"

I realize I Am a second class pilot and I should be treated as such. Thanks to the DAL pilots who always look the other way when I or any of my crew walks past them .

It sounds to me like you have an inferiority complex that could use some couchtime.

If your day is spent roasting over whether or not someone says "hi" to you...you got a lot of problems.

I say hi to all pilots in the terminal....unless they are Southwest! JOKE...throttle back Bubba

Ask any airport manager about which airline pays tts bills. Practically every airline except SWA has fallen way behind followed by bankruptcy, sometimes multiple times. They get to keep their gates. I would call that special treatment!

Then again ask those same managers which airline basically built their airport from the ground up almost 90 years ago....meanwhile Herb was doodling on a napkin while DFW was an infant and all the other airlines were paying all the bills. You are welcome

What I believe is there is no such thing as a free lunch. For you, denial ain't just a river in Egypt. SWA does have a unique skill and that is to avoid "most" direct competition with other airlines. There's no letter or article to back this up. We and everyone else see it every day. Kudos for SWA. The point is when things like DAL being striped of gates and SWA pulling out of IAH and years later having a terminal built south of town, this also doesn't need literature to back up the obvious.

DAL has to leave Love because of the "agreement". Why do you think that VA left DFW? Why did AT give up the DFW gates after they were bought?

DAL could try and keep gates at both airports, but according to Flop once a law is signed it can never be challenged!! Then again, it might only be SWA that is not allowed to lobby for change.?

I cannot see a valid point there. Should there be an entry fee to get into the airline biz for those who weren't around on 1925?

It is just a fact of life. A company that is managed well and pays its bill on time will likely get better treatment than one that is poorly managed and behind on its rent.

Oh really Chest?

Ancient history....look at the latest profit sharing statements? Nobody "is behind on their rent" and nobody gets better treatment from an airport because of something a decade earlier.

Glad the Bankruptcy code is written so airlines and pilots like you can brag (to anybody who will listen) about it like your airline is a trailblazer.

A Southwest Pilot, a Vegan, and a crossfitter walked into the bar today...how do I know? Because they told everybody who would listen by the first minute in the door.

I was impressed

A Southwest Pilot, a Vegan, and a crossfitter walked into the bar today...how do I know? Because they told everybody who would listen by the first minute in the door.

I was impressed

Oh crap. Now that's funny.

I was impressed

I am impressed on how early you start your drinking at a bar . :)

I guess you like to say it Past 11 AM somewhere

And that's if your on EST.

Last edited:
If DAL is tightly controlled and limited you can thank Jim Wright. In his blatantly anti-competitive ammendment to the Air Transportation Competition Act of 1979 which ironically was produced to promote competition in air transportation. Under the cover of darkness without any notice, hearings, or the opportunity for public comment or informed debate, Wright attached an amendment to the law banning any airline from engaging in interstate air commerce from Love Field.

The Senate refused to go along, and forced a compromise known as the 1980 Wright Amendment to the International Air Transportation Competition Act which crafted the final language all are familiar with.

The repeal legislation is what artificially limits Love to 20 gates. The 2001 master plan for Love called for 32 total gates. With 32 gates there would be plenty of room for all willing entrants to Love. instead Love has 37% less gates thanks to Jim Wright. The repeal legislation of Wrights anti-competitive amendment again produces artificial constraints on Love to protect DFW from normal competition.

Again, even in repeal, the Wright Ammendment artificially impedes growth of ANY airline at Dallas Love Field.

I agree...and IMO, too much emphasis is placed on the competition between American and Southwest, rather than between Tarrant and Dallas counties. What is lost is Fort Worth and Tarrant county's insistence on DFW straddling Dallas and Tarrant county lines in order for Fort Worth to capture roughly half the tax revenue generated from airport operations. Attempts to thwart Southwest at Love failed in the courts, so little wonder Jim Wright of Fort Worth tried to severely limit Southwest's potential siphoning of tax revenue back into Dallas county via Love Field operations.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back