• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Thanks United! Southwest increases Love Departures

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm curious why you are THE ONLY ONE that thinks Wright was put in place to favor Southwest? Every other analyst, reporter and elected official believe it was put in place as a favor to American

Good example in last nights game: Patriot's Burton intercepts Wilson and wins the game. A series before he was beat over the middle and reached out and tripped Seahawks Lockette. Sports media, the NFL and others are barely talking about the missed PI call. And it's the day after the game. 20 years from now? No ones going to remember the missed PI. They'll only remember Brady, the Pats, 4 Super Bowl wins (and pbly the terrible Seahawks play call) and all that. Burton's a great story and made a great play. But the earlier trip was pretty damn dirty (even for the Pats)

I don't like there being only half the story being told. In anything.

Btw: if I'm "THE ONLY ONE" then how did you lose on the WA? If I was wrong about Hobby, the why did the City have to vote? If I was wrong about bilateral agreements, then why did the treaty have to be rewritten? (Your link, thank you) if I'm wrong about SWA's pathological inability to abide by an agreement, then why do we read that GK signals he wants MORE for SWA out of Love? How do you mange to completely dismiss any/all SWA critics?

Last edited:
Btw: if I'm "THE ONLY ONE" then how did you lose on the WA?
I gave you five quotes from reporters, analysts and elected officials all saying they don't agree with your assertions. If your NOT the only one please show me some quotes from anyone other than yourself that show the belief that Southwest wanted the WA and lobbied for it to be enacted on their behalf. Please show some quotes from anyone other than yourself that state it was enacted to benefit Love Field and Southwest rather than DFW and American. If your not the only one you should have no problems showing support for your assertions.

Southwest found ways to survive after Wright but in no way chose to be hobbled by it.

I gave you five quotes from reporters, analysts and elected officials all saying they don't agree with your assertions. If your NOT the only one please show me some quotes from anyone other than yourself that show the belief that Southwest wanted the WA and lobbied for it to be enacted on their behalf. Please show some quotes from anyone other than yourself that state it was enacted to benefit Love Field and Southwest rather than DFW and American. If your not the only one you should have no problems showing support for your assertions.

Southwest found ways to survive after Wright but in no way chose to be hobbled by it.

You gave me 5 quotes with no context. WA was a compromise. The context is this: Ft Worth and Dallas were suppose to curtail their own airports flying and focus on DFW. We shouldn't pick and choose what agreements are real and which are fake. Although SWA has done just that too often. Again, look at Reds link in post 1 on this thread. GK is indicating the WA repeal isn't good enough. Why? Because he just got control of 18 of 20 gates. Would he want zero restrictions? No, he wants another 3-5 gates in the next couple years. When he get 90% of those, he'd like another 3-5 built. You work for a bunch of gypsies Howard! You just got the WA geographic terms repealed, and now it's not good enough.

So Mr Kelly is arguing for less restriction on Love now, after utilizing it's 'restrictions' against other carriers earlier?

Do you even hear yourself Flop?

I don't have any heartburn about Gary now pushing for NO restrictions at Love, because there shouldn't be any anyway. They tried to strangle SW with the only Texas destinations. That didn't stop SW from thinking outside the box and booking people on further cities after having to re-book them on a different ticket. All legal of course. Then the eventual cancelation of the thru ticket requirement. Then finally after how many years of restrictioning direct flights. I don't know of any other US carrier that has been restricted as much. None. But SW still succeeded, despite all the moves to attempt to kill it early.

I understand exactly what Howard is saying. I have NEVER read or even heard anyone (ever) saying the Wright Amendment was developed to 'help' Southwest. Not one person, ever Flop.....except you. Why is that?

The context is this: Ft Worth and Dallas were suppose to curtail their own airports flying and focus on DFW.
Dallas and Fort Worth DID curtail their own airports!
We shouldn't pick and choose what agreements are real and which are fake.
SWA doesn't pick and choose which agreements are real or fake, but they do have the ability to ignore agreements to which they were not a party and therefore not legally binding to them.
Again, look at Reds link in post 1 on this thread. GK is indicating the WA repeal isn't good enough. Why? Because he just got control of 18 of 20 gates. Would he want zero restrictions? No, he wants another 3-5 gates in the next couple years. When he get 90% of those, he'd like another 3-5 built. You work for a bunch of gypsies Howard! You just got the WA geographic terms repealed, and now it's not good enough.
Kelly said no such thing! These are his comments: Southwest would "love to be able to have more capacity at the airport obviously within the 20 gates. So we're working on that"

At the end of the day, you can't quote anyone echoing your tin foil hat conspiracy theories because there isn't anyone agreeing with your delusional ramblings.

Last edited:
Dallas and Fort Worth DID curtail their own airports! SWA doesn't pick and choose which agreements are real or fake, but they do have the ability to ignore agreements to which they were not a party and therefore not legally binding to them.Kelly said no such thing! These are his comments: Southwest would "love to be able to have more capacity at the airport obviously within the 20 gates. So we're working on that"

At the end of the day, you can't quote anyone echoing your tin foil hat conspiracy theories because there isn't anyone agreeing with your delusional ramblings.

Shelby Act added to the WA. Why was it necessary? Who benefitted from that?

Now you're starting to sound as paranoid as Flop.

They are United's gates at DAL. They can sublease them to anyone they want, just as American chose to sublease theirs to Delta before they were forced to divest them as a condition of their merger. If United subleased them to Southwest, it's either because we offered more money than Delta did, or more likely because they had some sort of competitive reason that they preferred us using them rather than Delta.

As far as the international gates at HOU, there's no "bribing" required. We're building them out of our own pocket, and the agreement was that we'll use 4 and leave the fifth for whomever the airport cares to let use it. If more airlines decide that they want to fly international to/from Hobby, then then the airport will build more gates to meet the demand.

No conspiracy here. Sorry.

Bubba

Look, call it what you will but if you seriously think that this doesn't happen SYSTEM wide your naive beyond belief.

Shelby Act added to the WA. Why was it necessary? Who benefitted from that?
DFW benefitted because after its capacity was exceeded in their own internal traffic capacity study, a 1996 study suggested that repealing the Wright Amendment and reopening Fort Worth Alliance to passenger service would effectively provide DFW with two reliever airports. DFW refused so Shelby was introduced in order to loosen restrictions but still artificially protect DFW from competition. But you don't have to take my word for it, I'll let CNBC lay it out for you in this article.

The primary obstacle along Southwest's path to success was a piece of legislation called the Wright Amendment, sponsored by former Fort Worth Congressman Jim Wright in 1979.

Wright's aim was to protect competing airport Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport from losing business when Southwest refused to stay out of Dallas Love Field airport. The law was an amendment to the International Air Transportation Act of 1979, restricting passenger flights out of Love Field to locations within Texas and to four neighboring states-Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma and New Mexico.

After D/FW's annual air traffic began to exceed capacity, the amendment was modified to add Alabama, Kansas, Mississippi and Missouri to the Wright zone.
http://www.cnbc.com/id/43714139

Last edited:
Nice link. Total horse crap, but you sure can find some interesting stuff. DFW was really cranking back then, so some traffic needed to be pushed SWA's way. My point was that the WA got changed, you did a good job proving it. Alabama, Kansas, Missouri and Mississippi were added? Hmmmm that's enough to relieve DFW? Or that's just enough to meet the SWA system? Yeah...

Look, we disagree. Never will agree. You have a lot more time than I do right now, so I'm not going to keep debating you. Just go do the work. Stop running your mouth. You guys are all talk, and you've barely left the US. Work, then talk.

Nice link. Total horse crap, but you sure can find some interesting stuff. DFW was really cranking back then, so some traffic needed to be pushed SWA's way. My point was that the WA got changed, you did a good job proving it. Alabama, Kansas, Missouri and Mississippi were added? Hmmmm that's enough to relieve DFW? Or that's just enough to meet the SWA system? Yeah...

Look, we disagree. Never will agree. You have a lot more time than I do right now, so I'm not going to keep debating you. Just go do the work. Stop running your mouth. You guys are all talk, and you've barely left the US. Work, then talk.
Face it Flopgut, you haven't a leg to stand on. I back up all my points with corroborating opinions from journalists, analysts and elected officials. You back up your drivel with no like minded opinions because none exist.

The "total horse crap" and " interesting stuff" you speak of was not my concoction, it came from CNBC directly!

And, for the record, I guess I'm "doing the work" because my next layover is south of the border.

Latest resources

Back