• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Thanks United! Southwest increases Love Departures

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That is to say, YOUR airline made this call, all by themselves. YOUR airline wanted Southwest to have these gates, Flop--so go bitch at yourself, if you don't like the arrangement.

Are you really now arguing the position that the DOJ should overrule what YOUR airline chose to do, just to make it "fair" to YOUR airline? United needs to be "saved" from itself? Do you even read the crap that you write before you post?

Bubba

And that's the point of the original article. United pulled the trigger themselves. I'm sure they're getting some nice coin via SW in this transaction, but it completely blows Flop's 'everyone is helping SW' mantra out of the water. In this case....it's UNITED!

Similar when there was a ton of United 'outrage' at the Houston City Council meetings but apparently the United CEO wasn't so outraged because he didn't even bother to go. Feigned outrage is more probable.

Talk about delusional... You guys are really out there. There is plenty of legitimate opposition to what SWA does. The real crazies are you cool aid drinkers who believe swa is completely infallible.

This isn't a day to day business. It's a decade to decade. And in that context I'll admit, the pendulum is swung in SWA favor. But specific actions or inactions on the part of a ceo or a corporation don't equate to what big picture desired outcome might be. Ex: the latest inaction on the part of Delta. Regular dallas folk are scratching their heads over this. They want cheap tickets and a fair market. SWA isn't about either one of those these days. They (Dallas citizen) need to come to a realization on their own, without Delta or another airlines input.

The AC I'm reading is in favor of common use facilities at secondary airports. And apart from Texas, there are some good examples. Texas needs to get the memo.

Last edited:
Hobby takes takes tax dollars from the Government so allowing Southwest to control virtually all gates is a monopoly plain and simple and once again we should thank SWA for letting others use their airport!

Other airfields where everything goes their way....
MDW and any airport in Florida!
I always make a point of thanking ATC for holding me on the ramp in these places for SWA jets that havent even landed yet so they can expedite to their gate

Hobby takes takes tax dollars from the Government so allowing Southwest to control virtually all gates is a monopoly plain and simple and once again we should thank SWA for letting others use their airport!

Other airfields where everything goes their way....
MDW and any airport in Florida!
I always make a point of thanking ATC for holding me on the ramp in these places for SWA jets that havent even landed yet so they can expedite to their gate

You tell them Bill

I am also sick of how the Southwest pilots always look at me ,smile and say "hi"

I realize I Am a second class pilot and I should be treated as such. Thanks to the DAL pilots who always look the other way when I or any of my crew walks past them .

Hobby takes takes tax dollars from the Government so allowing Southwest to control virtually all gates is a monopoly plain and simple

This is also true considering the Houston taxpayer and airline users of IAH. SWA/Bubba thinks if more gates are needed at Hobby, it's the airport/city's/taxpayer's responsibility to foot the bill. The gates were already built and are empty at IAH. The taxpayer has to duplicate a tremendous expense to accommodate 1 airline??!!

You tell them Bill

I am also sick of how the Southwest pilots always look at me ,smile and say "hi"

I realize I Am a second class pilot and I should be treated as such. Thanks to the DAL pilots who always look the other way when I or any of my crew walks past them .

You need a tissue?

Any airline that wants to can come to IAH. DAL is tightly controlled and limited. It's apples to oranges.

If DAL is tightly controlled and limited you can thank Jim Wright. In his blatantly anti-competitive ammendment to the Air Transportation Competition Act of 1979 which ironically was produced to promote competition in air transportation. Under the cover of darkness without any notice, hearings, or the opportunity for public comment or informed debate, Wright attached an amendment to the law banning any airline from engaging in interstate air commerce from Love Field.

The Senate refused to go along, and forced a compromise known as the 1980 Wright Amendment to the International Air Transportation Competition Act which crafted the final language all are familiar with.

The repeal legislation is what artificially limits Love to 20 gates. The 2001 master plan for Love called for 32 total gates. With 32 gates there would be plenty of room for all willing entrants to Love. instead Love has 37% less gates thanks to Jim Wright. The repeal legislation of Wrights anti-competitive amendment again produces artificial constraints on Love to protect DFW from normal competition.

Again, even in repeal, the Wright Ammendment artificially impedes growth of ANY airline at Dallas Love Field.

Call it what I will?

Okay, I'll call it this: you made statements about Southwest at both Dallas Love and Houston Hobby that were absolutely, positively wrong. And like Flop, of course, you're purposely vague, and cannot show a single fact, nor document a single bit of your anti-SWA drivel in that post.

Lemme guess: like Flop, you also somehow believe one or more of these absurd things about that the Wright Amendment; stupid crap that I've actually heard claimed multiple times on Flight Info (primarily by Flop, of course):
- that it was some sort of "compromise" that SWA entered into to settle a dispute over where airlines could fly to/from in the Dallas area.
- that SWA "signed" or even helped "negotiate" the agreement to signify our assent.
- that the WA somehow "helped" or "protected" Southwest, or even that it was "the only reason Southwest was successful."

Tell me the truth, Driver--do you believe this crap too?

Bubba

What I believe is there is no such thing as a free lunch. For you, denial ain't just a river in Egypt. SWA does have a unique skill and that is to avoid "most" direct competition with other airlines. There's no letter or article to back this up. We and everyone else see it every day. Kudos for SWA. The point is when things like DAL being striped of gates and SWA pulling out of IAH and years later having a terminal built south of town, this also doesn't need literature to back up the obvious.

Latest resources

Back