Thanks United! Southwest increases Love Departures

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Oh really Chest?

Ancient history....look at the latest profit sharing statements? Nobody "is behind on their rent" and nobody gets better treatment from an airport because of something a decade earlier.

Glad to hear you point out that Southwest doesn't get special treatment from airports 'cause of who we are. Perhaps you might point that out to Flopgut.

Bubba

I agree...and IMO, too much emphasis is placed on the competition between American and Southwest, rather than between Tarrant and Dallas counties. What is lost is Fort Worth and Tarrant county's insistence on DFW straddling Dallas and Tarrant county lines in order for Fort Worth to capture roughly half the tax revenue generated from airport operations. Attempts to thwart Southwest at Love failed in the courts, so little wonder Jim Wright of Fort Worth tried to severely limit Southwest's potential siphoning of tax revenue back into Dallas county via Love Field operations.

Good post. The two cities had to go along with DFW. Ft Worth could not opt out. FTW is the key stakeholder that has lost the most. It was hardly frivolous for Wright to do what he did, and frankly he could have been more restrictive. That was at a time when the CAB TAC deregulation Texas and Uncle Sam were overlapping. And SWA slipped through the cracks.

Today, the FAA states you have to have a "functional relationship" with a municipality. Apparantly it's been interpreted in some places to mean secondary airports' gates should be common use, or have plenty of common use gates. Why the hell that wasn't what was done with DAL in the first place, I don't know. Other than the obvious of course: protect and aid SWA, all these years.

Ask any airport manager about which airline pays tts bills. Practically every airline except SWA has fallen way behind followed by bankruptcy, sometimes multiple times. They get to keep their gates. I would call that special treatment!

Walmart pays its bills too.

I cannot see a valid point there. Should there be an entry fee to get into the airline biz for those who weren't around on 1925?

There is. Sometimes it's $, but not always. You might have to build more gates than you want to. Sometimes it's what you do in a community as an employer. Sometimes it's pain and anguish. In any case, youve been on a deferred payment plan. I wouldn't wish you any of the pain and anguish, but this free ride BS in Texas has got to stop!

Walmart pays its bills too.

I love it in people turn up there nose at Walmart.

Only 4 out of the 12 most richest people in the world on that list and a revenue of 500 Billion dollars annually.

Definitely not a success story but carry on Flop with your re-writing of history.

Good post. The two cities had to go along with DFW. Ft Worth could not opt out. FTW is the key stakeholder that has lost the most. It was hardly frivolous for Wright to do what he did, and frankly he could have been more restrictive. That was at a time when the CAB TAC deregulation Texas and Uncle Sam were overlapping. And SWA slipped through the cracks.

Uh, sorry, Flop but what exactly has Ft Worth actually lost? Ever? Please tell us specifically.

DFW Airport is one of the largest and busiest in the entire world, and is a HUGE friggin' source income for both Dallas and Ft Worth--collectively in money spent by travelers in the airport and surrounding area hotels/restaurants, hundreds of millions in wages paid to tens of thousands of employees who work at the airport and spend their money at home in those two cities, along with other ancillary income (rental cars, etc., etc., etc).

Today, the FAA states you have to have a "functional relationship" with a municipality. Apparantly it's been interpreted in some places to mean secondary airports' gates should be common use, or have plenty of common use gates. Why the hell that wasn't what was done with DAL in the first place, I don't know. Other than the obvious of course: protect and aid SWA, all these years.

Uh, it was done at Dallas Love in the first place, Flop--I can't imagine why you don't know, other than your continued head-in-the-sand intransigency on the situation. Well, that and your unwavering belief that the entire universe colludes to protect and favor Southwest, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Up until very recently, there were literally dozens of unused gates at Dallas Love, available for use by ANY damn airline who wanted to use them. Southwest used 16 gates, AA and CO used two each, sporadically or subleased. The rest of the gates sat empty for decades, because no airline wanted them. None.

It's only been recently that anyone has actually given a crap at all about any of this--when American Airlines forced an artificial limitation of 20 gates total to protect their overall Dallas monopoly. Southwest still used the same 16 damn gates that we used for decades, but now you cry foul and say we should give some of them up to be "fair"? WTF?! Where was your outrage when American limited them for no reason, other than their own greed? Why don't you lobby to eliminate that stupid and arbitrary limitation? Then there'd be plenty of gates for everyone who wanted some.

Oh, I know--then you wouldn't be able to blame Southwest. Bummer for you, Flop.

Bubba

There is. Sometimes it's $, but not always. You might have to build more gates than you want to. Sometimes it's what you do in a community as an employer. Sometimes it's pain and anguish. In any case, youve been on a deferred payment plan. I wouldn't wish you any of the pain and anguish, but this free ride BS in Texas has got to stop!

Free ride?

Always paying your bills, employing hundreds if not thousands of locals in each community, giving back to that community in other ways (RM houses, other charities, volunteer work), not to mention greatly stimulating and expanding air travel among ALL airlines in those communities (documented by the government)... that's your idea of a free ride?!

Good God Flop, you're so overcome with irrational hatred, that you say the stupidest things. How does your head not explode?

Bubba

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

.........................."It's got a built-in sauce rack!".......................................

Last edited:
Always paying our bills.....love it!

Thats a great Slogan Spirit warriors....sounds like somebody is running scared dragging out old digs! Garys gonna drag you through the same courts we did in spite of your contract demands....

NAW...that wont happen....like I said in 2000 when Delta was best compensated and SWA was still not paying pilots for getting into holding patterns

Last edited:
Always paying our bills.....love it!

Thats a great Slogan Spirit warriors....sounds like somebody is running scared dragging out old digs! Garys gonna drag you through the same courts we did in spite of your contract demands....

NAW...that wont happen....like I said in 2000 when Delta was best compensated and SWA was still not paying pilots for getting into holding patterns

Are you saying SWA is going to lie for bankruptcy ?

I have not followed the stock , has it been crashing ? By chance if the stock is doing well, could you be setting yourself up for a lawsuit with false rumors ?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back