• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Thanks American!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm always thankful for my jumpseat privileges. I have met some awesome crews and made some life long friends jumpseating.

Not to berate AA, but I've never had luck jumpseating with them...even though we are in CASS. I have some very good friends that work there (some I've known since childhood) but they can't explain why dispatcher's can't jumpseat. *sighs*

Anyone have some inside info?

Our pleasure and glad to have you aboard!

I always go out of my way making you folks feel welcome, because that is the treatment I get on your airlines as well. And of course, the next question is always, "What's your screen name?" Hope to eventually meet some FIers.

P.s. Hey Starscream!

yeah they only take one jumpseater if you are in the system as a limited jumpseater...Thanks AA for leaving behind twice in last 3 months, with over 40 seats open. Was another Airtran guy there, can't take 2 airtran guys I guess.

AA management controls the jumpseat at AA. The union has been in a battle with them for years about this issue. Management sees the jumpseat as just another stick to beat the APA with. Believe me, if the APA controlled the jumpseat, things would be different.

To give you an example, the APA has been in contract talks for 2 years now and AA management has YET to put ANY kind of pay offer on the table. It's hard to have contract talks when management won't even talk. So, you can see, jumpseat issues are a ways away from being discussed.

Last edited:
One guy didn't think I was dressed professionaly and the other two were pissed because I told them "I'll be in the back if you get scared and need some help gramps." It was worth getting kicked off just for the angry expression the old farts gave me. :nuts:

Instructordude for funniest poster on FI!

Has a crew ever been disciplined, done the carpet dance, or received a phone regarding a "crew delay"? When I was at Air Wiskey in PHL the gate agents used to chalk all delays up to crew delays and I don't know of one pilot who ever got a phone call.

Maybe it happens, but I can't think of any time at the three airlines I have flown for of a crew ever being questioned about a crew delay.

I jumpseated on several airlines for the majority of my career thus far (hopefully at some point I'll be able to get back to my career) and the vast majority of experiences have been very positive, regardless of airline. I have never been denied for the sake of being denied. Most Captains have been very friendly, and at worst they have been indifferent, no real jerks. Most gate agents have been respectful and friendly as I always try and be that way to them.

Having been a commuter for nearly 8 years I always shake my head when I hear the horror stories. Based on my experience (with several different stations as well) the bad experiences are very few and far between. The only conclusion I can draw from those who have regular horror stories about jumpseating is that it must be the way they interract with gate agents and flight crews. Treat people in a friendly and respectful manner, and most of the time they will treat you the same way, be rude and you'll be treated poorly.

I did that at ORD for 2 United Guys a few weeks ago. Both seemed genuinely thankful. We took a crew delay because one was standing at the gate and the agent refused to board the 2nd jumpseater and then lied about it. I said Ok thats fine but we'll refuse to leave until he gets on. Guess who won?

Thanks for acting like a Captain, there are way too many guys out there, at all carriers, who sit in the left seat but have no clue how to actually be a Captain. Every time a guy like you draws a line, it makes it a little easier for everyone. We have more than our fair share at CO but it looks like it is slowwwly starting to change.

Latest resources

Back