Thank God for the APA!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BeCareful!

I certainly appreciate the APA at this point. Let's all support this effort in any way we can.

Originally Posted by www.alliedpilots.org
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT:
Gregg Overman
Allied Pilots Association
817-302-2250/817-312-3901

PILOT RETIREMENT AGE POLL: PUBLIC URGES CAUTION

Fort Worth, Texas (December 12, 2007)—The Allied Pilots Association,
collective bargaining agent for the 12,000 pilots of American Airlines, issued the
following prepared statement today:

“This week the U.S. House of Representatives voted to increase airline pilot
retirement age from 60 to 65. Companion legislation is now pending in the Senate.

“The Allied Pilots Association—which represents the 12,000 pilots of American
Airlines, the nation’s largest passenger carrier—has commissioned an outside polling
firm to survey U.S. adults on pilot retirement age. Results so far indicate that an
overwhelming majority of Americans have serious safety concerns about any increase in
the retirement age and favor further study.

“Similarly, our pilots support age 60 retirement by a seven-to-one margin for
safety reasons. We should heed their professional judgment. After all, pilots are in the
best position to ascertain the effects of aging on their own stamina and skills and on those
of their fellow pilots.

“In response to the public’s concerns and our pilots’ own views, we urge
lawmakers to refrain from passing into law any increase in pilot retirement age. Instead,
the Federal Aviation Administration should be permitted to proceed with a Notice of
Proposed Rulemaking for a full vetting of this issue.

“The United States has long set the worldwide standard for aviation safety and
should preserve its leadership role. The reality is no one knows what would happen with
large numbers of 65-year-old pilots in the cockpits of modern commercial airliners
operating in today’s demanding environment. The data doesn’t exist because it would be
unprecedented. Prudence therefore dictates that we proceed with caution.

“For safety’s sake, it’s the right thing to do.”

What?

"Unprecedented? " You guys been in a cave? It's been happening in almost every country in the world including the U.S. for over a year.

I never thought I'd say this, but APA seems to be the Big dof these days!!!

ALPA could sure stand to learn something from these guys.

Go get 'em!

The APA has repeatedly demonstrated themselves to be ethically bankrupt and so self-serving, they'd misrepresent the fact that they wear hats.

Their efforts will fail miserably.

What is USAPA's position?

From the FAQ's on the USAPA website:

What is USAPA's stand on age 60?[FONT=Arial,sans-serif]

[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,sans-serif]USAPA does not have a stand on age 60. It is not our place to tell the pilots how we feel, quite the opposite; it is up to the pilots to tell us how they feel. It is, as USAPA's byline states, "up to the pilots to decide." [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,sans-serif]Wow, listening to the membership; what an un-Prater like concept[/FONT]

I was told that even though ICAO has raised the age to 65 not alot of airlines allow their pilots to actually fly past age 60.

[FONT=Arial,sans-serif]
Wow, listening to the membership; what an un-Prater like concept

Let's say the USAPA pilots...whoever they are, say they want age 60. What will USAPA do about it?

Put out a press release?

From the FAQ's on the USAPA website:

What is USAPA's stand on age 60?

[FONT=Arial,sans-serif]USAPA does not have a stand on age 60. It is not our place to tell the pilots how we feel, quite the opposite; it is up to the pilots to tell us how they feel. It is, as USAPA's byline states, "up to the pilots to decide." [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,sans-serif]Wow, listening to the membership; what an un-Prater like concept[/FONT]

That much is true I suppose, I think Prater just listens to the voices inside his head. What a dipstick of a loose canon.

Latest resources

Back