Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mesa

THE TRUTH AT MESA
Train wreck in slow motion - True (3.2 crews per airplane at some bases, and very bad mx problems...1700 Junior Assignments last month on United CRJ side), that is 1700 days off taken away from pilots)
Pissed off pilot group - True (strike very possible, it will be the only way to get the contract we want, period)
Fix it now or Burn it down - Most true statement I have ever heard
Would I come work here now - No
Was I stupid enough a few years ago - Yes

I will see my girl and sleep in my own bed 6-7 nights next month, because I am on an 8 day off schedule trying to commute, all for less money and substantially worse treatment then anyone else in the industry.

Cheers!
STFD

lowlycfi said:
Finally, someone who gets it. The general consensus with MAG pilots is "fix it or burn it down." Thanks for your support!

Never happen,to many senior guys that cant get others jobs. It will go to the end then they will cave..any bets?

Kingair1181 said:
Some say it's one of the worst regionals out there, QOL sucks, horrible Mgmt, ect. well other tell me that it's a good regional, fast upgrade time to Capt (around 24 months) pay is about average ect.

So which one is it?

Exactly!! :D

Every place out there has to have SOME draw to it, or it would most likely cease to exist. There are CERTAINLY better places as far as quality of life, pay, and esprit de corps; but there's really no better place to be if you're looking to be hired low-time and still have a quick upgrade, because they have a tough time keeping people due to the poor quality of life, pay and esprit-de-corps. Make sense? Decide what's important to you. If you suspect you may be at a regional for awhile, there are certainly better choices. If you can deal with the comparitvely low pay, are looking to fly your butt off, score 1000 hours of turbine PIC as quick as you can and then GTFO, it's probably the BEST place to be. Of course, that 1000 hours does not mean DL/UA/CO/UPS/FEDEX/whoever will be beating down your door. Like somebody else said, before you go anywhere, do your homework.

Good Luck.

BoilerUP said:
I won't bash Mesa. That horse is quite dead by nowquote]

I WILL BASH MESA...

Of course that horse is dead, but that won't stop Mesa from grabbing it, slapping some paint on it and top it off with those lameass "Regional Airline of the Year" award stickers. They got that fake award because their pilot group will bendover and take it without lube as much as JO and the other toddlers can give. And that "iamond Mx Award", is just a program where their Mx guys get re-qualified.

What a freaking Joke! I say go for it if you love working for the puss that gets secreted from maggots.

xpdriver said:
Never happen,to many senior guys that cant get others jobs. It will go to the end then they will cave..any bets?

Agreed. Their contract is amendable in late 2007, right? Well they will "negotiate" for at least four years, then mediation, cooling off, etc., etc., Mesa is looking at 5+ years until a strike is even remotely possible.

Look, it's everyone for themselves. If your airline is a $hitty battered pilots shelter--LEAVE!

Too many kids right out of college who have never had a real job.

Pale, I like that line-battered pilot's shelter...to tell the truth most regionals fall in that category and with only two outfits offering really decent pay (Fedex and UPS) Stateside it isn't going to get better. All of the Legacy carriers are in bankruptcy or loosing money-in fact loosing it as fast as before all the wage concessions. Pressure is being applied downwards to the regionals to lower their costs and that won't be good for the payscales at places that suck brown starfish like Mesa or at Comair and ASA.

Get an engineering degree, get married, live in a little house and buy yourself an airplane and fly for fun.

IMHO the industry is screwed and there isn't enough solidarity among pilots or strength in the unions to ever get it back where it was.

Or you can go to work for a regional and face the very real probability that there will be no where for you to move up to. My money says that the $100k that looks good to you now won't buy what $40k/yr will buy now in ten years-I do not see wages keeping up with inflation, especially in this industry. That will have a marked negative effect on leisure travel also.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Palerider957 said:
Agreed. Their contract is amendable in late 2007, right? Well they will "negotiate" for at least four years, then mediation, cooling off, etc., etc., Mesa is looking at 5+ years until a strike is even remotely possible.

Look, it's everyone for themselves. If your airline is a $hitty battered pilots shelter--LEAVE!

Too many kids right out of college who have never had a real job.

Actually this would be true except if you only knew how bad it is right now you would see we will be losing flying and in one year when our contract comes up, JO will NEED to get it done ASAP so we can get flying and make his stock go up or risk losing more. All we have to do is stick it to him when the time comes. We already are willing to do that.

IMHO the industry is screwed and there isn't enough solidarity among pilots or strength in the unions to ever get it back where it was.

The pilots are the UNION,The'UNION" itself can't make MGMT give in. If there is no strength and nobody is willing to fight to the end then you better be happy with what you have.. MGMT is betting that you love flying so much that you will give in and say "i will just get my time and move on"well these days there is not alot of choices. Regional job could be a great career if pay and qol were better. But it is up to you guys to make it happen.

Latest resources

Back