• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Telex 850 in CRJ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Use the 750's but go to Radio Shack and get a pair of replacement earpieces. Not the foam ones that come with the set but they make a soft, "pleather" covers as well. It makes a world of difference and only costs like 7-8 bucks.

ClubORD said:
Use the 750's but go to Radio Shack and get a pair of replacement earpieces. Not the foam ones that come with the set but they make a soft, "pleather" covers as well. It makes a world of difference and only costs like 7-8 bucks.

Do you have a part # for the "pleathers"?

just thought I would chime in....

I have the 850. I love it. I used the 750 for a while and I think there is a world of difference in the 850. I think you can still hear a little wind noise but it is not bad at all. Actually someone told me that the wind noise is at a freq that is not covered by any ANR...so no ANR headset would remove that noise, only one cupped around your ears or earplugs.

I know everyone has their own opinions...but I like mine.

Friends, if you don't think the CRJ is loud, it's probably time to go see a doctor about your hearing loss! (And that's no joke).

I tried the 850. I wanted really badly to like it because of its small size, light weight, and simplicity, but I just couldn't because it was too darn loud. I can't stand wearing earplugs, so I tried, and subsequently bought, the Sennheiser (HMEC 25 something or other). Crafted in beautiful Deutschland, this is the BMW of headsets. Fine Teutonic workmanship wins out again.

F/O said:

I don't have the part number but it is in the cordless phone/headphone section of the store. I believe it is actually designed for those earpiece sets that telemarketers frequently use. The package includes one earpiece and one mic cover, so get two before you leave Radio Shack. I remember after I got this I kept the volume control on the CRJ about 25-50% less than when I had the foam pads that come with the Telex 750's.

Last edited:
F/O said:

I don't have the part number but it is in the cordless phone/headphone section of the store. I believe it is actually designed for those earpiece sets that telemarketers frequently use. The package includes one earpiece and one mic cover, so get two before you leave Radio Shack. I remember after I got this I kept the volume control on the CRJ about 25-50% less than when I had the foam pads that come with the Telex 750's.

Last edited:
No one has mentioned the Sennheisers! These are superior to the Telex models. Was testing out my sennheisers and then flew a trip with an FO who had the Telex 850 ANR. We swapped before taxiing out for a flight. At the runway I got mine back because of the noticeable difference between the two. They are an extra $100 but well worth it. You get a reduced price by shopping on the alpa website.

I'll second the pleather covers from Radio Shack for the 750's. I used to have turn the volume all the way up and now its at about half that level. Like said buy two sets of the earpieces. It also cups your ear better than the foam covers and blocks out a little more wind noise.

Radio Shack "pleather" covers

I looked for those in one Radio Shack but could not find them. Didn't really know what I was looking for though, either. I remember ClubORD mentioning them in another thread. Radio Shack's web-site is not very helpful. Will look some more then might break down and buy from Oregon Aero. They have retro-fit kit.

Spiff

Latest resources

Back