• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Teamsters Vs Alpa

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Suppah, if Colgan votes in the Teamsters they are going to get STEAMROLLED when it comes to merging the lists.

The current head of the Teamster airline division is from Atlas. Atlas is ALPA. Some at ALPA view that he is 'poaching' other unions as he is actually the former MEC chair at Atlas.

ALPA wants to make sure that this guy does not do well under any cirumstances and prove which is the better pilot union. If Colgan votes in the Teamsters they are going to be made examples of to future companies.

Listen to this man.

Integration results in the pinnacle pilot group who have a bigger union stick, screwing the colgan pilot group. The million dollar question is......Do we stand a better chance with Teamsters or Alpa. Most pilots here firmly believe that we are better off with teamsters.
not many people at PCL want any type of steamroll job on colgan. The best merger would involve 2 ALPA carriers where each union would not be competing with each other rather than ensuring a fair integration. A merger will go smooth with reasonable representatives on each airline MEC going into negotiations. Currently the reps at PCL have NO interest in sharing the cockpit with someone who can't stand them because of a unfair merger for the rest of their career.

If the Colgan pilots are most concerned with their standing in a merger, I strongly believe they will be better off as ALPA.

If the Colgan pilots are most concerned with their standing in a merger, I strongly believe they will be better off as ALPA.

Here is a perfect example of Herndon Koolaid....

The implication is that a merger will go more smoothly if Colgan is ALPA....

1. Look at two of the recent ALPA/ALPA mergers.....AAA/AWA and DAL/NWA....Both ended up being huge food fights....with one group leaving ALPA over the fight...I suspect the other group will follow...

2. ALPA Policy prevents ALPA from acting on the behalf of Colgan pilots or Pinnacle pilots in the event of a merger....Colgan pilots have to set up a separate merger fund and a special assessment to pay for it....In other words it doesn't matter if you are ALPA...In fact Teamsters wouldn't have that prohibition and would probably help fund the seniority battle.....

3. ALPA is in financial trouble and is starting to raise dues...They started by raising dues on the members that make the least......Be careful.....

Joe (former Herndon koolaid drinker)

ALPA is a format, all contracts are local in nature.

Here is a perfect example of Herndon Koolaid....
I don't work for Herndon, nor do I drink anybody's koolaid.
The implication is that a merger will go more smoothly if Colgan is ALPA....

1. Look at two of the recent ALPA/ALPA mergers.....AAA/AWA and DAL/NWA....Both ended up being huge food fights....with one group leaving ALPA over the fight...I suspect the other group will follow...
as I said, merger success is largely dependent on each airline's MEC acting reasonably. If you can sit here and tell me that was the case in the AAA/AWA merger, you are on crack. Let me ask you, Joe, do you think the AAA/AWA merger would have gone any better if it was USAPA vs. ALPA? get real...
2. ALPA Policy prevents ALPA from acting on the behalf of Colgan pilots or Pinnacle pilots in the event of a merger....Colgan pilots have to set up a separate merger fund and a special assessment to pay for it....In other words it doesn't matter if you are ALPA...In fact Teamsters wouldn't have that prohibition and would probably help fund the seniority battle.....
exactly...just like ALPA would fund the seniority battle at PCL if Colgan was Teamsters, which is what it would become, a battle. As has already been posted in this thread, ALPA and the Teamsters do not have the greatest relationship nowadays and if Colgan goes with the Teamsters, the most likely result is that each side will be focused on the battle at the national level rather than a fair integration. As I said before, none of the PCL reps want to spend the rest of their careers sharing the cockpit with someone who can't stand them because of a nasty merger.

The Colgan guys can choose whichever one they want and I think most people will be happy they are choosing to unionize. In my opinion a ALPA/ALPA merger results in 2 equal airlines with no large advantages over each other (roughly equal longevity, career expectations, movement, etc.), a ALPA/Teamsters merger would likely result in more of a pissing contest.
3. ALPA is in financial trouble and is starting to raise dues...They started by raising dues on the members that make the least......Be careful.....
ALPA has not raised any dues. There is currently a resolution that will be voted on by the BOD this fall changing dues income exemptions.

...and American/TWA worked out real well didnt it?

AAA/AWA worked exactly the way it should have. Problem was the AAA pilots threw a hissy at at the arbitrators award. They should have though about the down side prior to accepting arbitration.

NWA/DAL have not merged yet. They have not been bound by ALPA merger policy.

Let me say this to any Colgan pilots who are concerned about this talk of seniority integration. Talk to the Pinnacle pilots. TALK! Not through this stupid message board, but face to face.

You guys may just find out how reasonable and fair the process can be. You will never know until you talk.

Pick up the phone. Call.

...and American/TWA worked out real well didnt it?

AAA/AWA worked exactly the way it should have. Problem was the AAA pilots threw a hissy at at the arbitrators award. They should have though about the down side prior to accepting arbitration.

NWA/DAL have not merged yet. They have not been bound by ALPA merger policy.

The implication was that things will be better IF Colgan is ALPA.....That isn't true....You're correct that AA/TWA was a disaster....But don't blow sunshine up the Colgan folks a$$ about things being a walk in the park if everyone is in the big happy ALPA family....That is BS.....

PNCL folks will pull some BS "career expectations" argument about RJs and 90 seaters.....Just like every merger.....

ALPA/ALPA mergers have been some of the ugliest out there....There isn't a true "brotherhood" within ALPA....So stop pretending there is....

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back