• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Teamsters Vs Alpa

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The implication was that things will be better IF Colgan is ALPA.....That isn't true....You're correct that AA/TWA was a disaster....But don't blow sunshine up the Colgan folks a$$ about things being a walk in the park if everyone is in the big happy ALPA family....That is BS.....

PNCL folks will pull some BS "career expectations" argument about RJs and 90 seaters.....Just like every merger.....

ALPA/ALPA mergers have been some of the ugliest out there....There isn't a true "brotherhood" within ALPA....So stop pretending there is....
I don't think anybody here was trying to state that a merger will go smoother only because it is ALPA and ALPA is one big happy family. I think what people are trying to tell the Colgan pilots is that there is a host of issues btwn ALPA and the Teamsters right now that will be brought in to play at the national level if they are IBT.

Some ALPA mergers have been quite ugly, but as has been pointed out, this is due to the conduct of each MEC, not the national union.

I don't see why the PCL guys would try to put the screw job on the 9L guys with any career expectations argument. PCL loses the number of pilots at Colgan within around 6 months, they are hiring street captains, there will continue to be movement there as people scramble to leave...the PCL MEC would be stupid to be anything but completely fair to the 9L guys in order to have a good working relationship going forward...there is nothing to gain for them by going for the jugular.

Colgan guys, choose whichever union you think will be able to provide you with the greatest support. Most 9E people will be happy for you for choosing to unionize. And please, don't take any of the suggestions in this thread as anything other than people giving you their personal thoughts on what would be best for YOUR group. You will be extremely hard pressed to find any PCL guys that wish ill will of your group or want to take advantage of you in any merger. As was said before, talk, PM, email any PCL guy, or the MEC ([email protected]) and ask any questions you want.

I will tell you from my personal experience at PCL that ALPA provides you with a tremendous amount of resources not found anywhere else, which has helped PCL greatly during current negotiations, grievances, etc. Either way, you will be the one in charge of your carrier.

I don't see why the PCL guys would try to put the screw job on the 9L guys with any career expectations argument.

Well, if PNCL ends up losing some flying and having to downsize their pilot group they will def. put the SCREWS to 9L. That is what pilots do.

Well, if PNCL ends up losing some flying and having to downsize their pilot group they will def. put the SCREWS to 9L. That is what pilots do.
There is a great amount of attrition at PCL, combined with being very understaffed that will help them with any loss of flying. PCL is only losing 16 jets...last time they lost 15 to Mesaba, there were no furloughs, and upgrades started up again after only a couple of months. If you are worried about the PCL MEC acting this way, I would encourage you to talk to them and see what their thoughts and plans are, because I think you will find that they have no interest in putting the screws to 9L.

Either way, even if the PCL MEC were to go after 9L, the groups would not be seen as having an advantage over each other. Being IBT instead of ALPA would give you no advantage against this type of strategy by PCL. That is why I believe you should choose whichever union you think will provide you with the greatest support. Best of luck to you guys in your upcoming drives.

PNCL folks will pull some BS "career expectations" argument about RJs and 90 seaters.....Just like every merger.....

You are injecting a personal, unsupported opinion of what the PCL pilots "might" do. I hope nobody is dumb enough to believe you.

ALPA/ALPA mergers have been some of the ugliest out there....There isn't a true "brotherhood" within ALPA....So stop pretending there is....

Was the merger of the American Eagle carriers ugly? Thats about the best measure of what can be expected in another regional carrier merger. Mainline mergers are historically bad because "career expectations" cloud the issue so bad. Career expectations at regional are significantly less.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back