• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Teamsters Approval

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
the IBT747 does a OK job.We have a great lawyer but our BA is somewhat to be desired.

Really...why does the company continue to blatantly violate the contract? And define great...a lawyer that won't share financials with the pilot group? One that can't win anything against the company...yeah he's really great.

The folks at NetJets just changed from IBT (what ever local) and formed their own local and have been kicking major A$$ with grievances and upholding the contract.

I know that local 264 has done just about squat for our pilot group in the 3 years i've been at shuttle. Probably the best thing they will ever do for us is foot the bill for the lawer handling the mediation. Time will tell how i like representation from the boys at 747. I guess I'll have to report back after the seniority integration is complete and a fair and equitable merger is made.

flythere said:
They suck, look what they've done for Lakes!!! They have screwed over those poor Lakers for the last few years, doing nothing for them. They are still stealing money from them and haven't done anything!!!! Any past or present Lakers care to input???

I was there from 2000 to 2004. During my tenure, the contract was open and "in negotiations", if you will. Not once during my 4 years there was there ever a tentative agreement put out for ratification. The Teamsters did little to nothing for us, especially given the dues that we all paid. Although I think the Teamsters rep assigned to us had good intentions, he didn't seem to get much support from the Teamsters heirarchy. A lot of Lakers figured that the Teamsters saw Lakes as too small to be concerned about and that Jimmy Hoffa Jr. probably used our meager dues to buy a few lunches for himself every month.

Also, I would have to give the NMB a lot of credit for the stagnation at Lakes. They seem to care very little mediating and much more about maintaining status quo.

Yes we are represented by Local 264 (for the Saab guys) and 747 (for the 170 guys). I cannot comment on how 747 is doing. But I can say in my 4 years at S5 I only know of 1 grievance that was sent to arbitration. We currently have about 17 grievances sitting in someone’s office in upstate NY. We have written letters to everyone including Hoffa about our dissatisfaction with our representation and we conveniently get a response written by 747’s President (like that is not a punch in the face).

Apparently this is an election year for the Airline Division of the Teamsters. I was just wondering how much support there would be in sending a message by ousting all the current “leadership” (and I use that word VERY loosely).

Guitar Guy said:
The Teamsters did little to nothing for us, especially given the dues that we all paid

And it is this sort of thinking that guarantees the defeat of the Lakes pilot group. A national does not "do for you," a union means that workers do for themselves. A union is the sum of it's members, not it's affiliaition. During that same time period, was there even one EXCO election? I don't believe so. Unnecessary, because there was never more than one person willing to take the bull-by-the-horns at any given time. Lack of participation on such a scale ensures that little gets done.

Nearly everybody at Lakes has the same attitude; upgrade, build some time, get out. Hopefully in less than 3 years. Nowhere in this plan is "advance the profession, leave a better place for the next generation." I'm just as guilty.

1.95% never buys representation, no matter what "brand" one has chosen, ALPA, IBT, etc. ALPA pilot groups have one of the crapiest contracts in the nation, as well as the most lucrative. IBT can say the same thing. The pilot group has to represent themselves!! Some level of activisim is required. EXCOs/MECs have to be staffed. Committees must be staffed. Communication has to occur. This is all done within the pilot group. All the "business agent" should take care of is the legal paperwork.

ALPA, IBT, IAM, Steamfitters, Stormdoor Repairmen, it doesn't matter. The Union is You.

cargoflyr69 said:
I guess I'll have to report back after the seniority integration is complete and a fair and equitable merger is made.

I'm sorry to say, you guys are getting stapled. The members of your MEC, who represented you, wanted to have DOH while selling out the rest of the shuttle pilot group. CHQ guys said 'no way, this is going to arbitration'.

Take it for what it's worth, but you are getting stapled. It is effective the date the acquistion happened (ie: people hired at CHQ or 170 Shuttle after the deal are junior to you).

Not flamebate......Trust me. Send me a PM when this is either true or false, as I'm so confident in this I'd like a follow up.

Last edited:
Old Jballer said:
At CHQ Republic Shuttle (whatever you want to call it) the IBT747 does a OK job.We have a great lawyer but our BA is somewhat to be desired. One thing is for sure thank GOD we aren't ALPA. Major conflict of interest they only look out for the big guys.

I look at it the other way around. I think the BA is fantastic. I was less than impressed with our attorney. HOWEVER, he does hire an *OUTSTANDING* outside cousel for Arbitration cases that require it. That man is THOROUGH and covers all the bases pretty well. The Company lawyers have a very hard time keeping up with him.

Main complaint with Teamsters is they allow too many things to go to the Grievance level. The Company's attitude is, "If you don't like it, grieve it" and there seems very little the Teamsters can do to prevent that.

Unions as a whole have been pretty de-balled by the courts I think... Also, there is a lot of political b.s. to consider. Arbitrators like to "split the baby" (that's what employee attorneys call it) so they don't make anyone angry and will continue to be selected for cases. In the end both sides tend to wind up unhappy about some aspects of a decision regardless who is really right, and if the Arbitrator has to anger one party he generally chooses not to anger the Company.

It is a bizarre thing to witness. :)

Last edited:
As my previous post stated, the company shoots down the grievance and it ends up back at our union and sits there while they decide whether they want to take it to arbitration. That seems to be as far as any of our grievances go.

As far as the arbitration case goes, we will see what the courts decide. However, I hope you are wrong.

Latest resources

Back