• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Taxiing a B200 (the 'lag') ... tricks?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I find that while taxiing in the Beta range, I can manage just fine with small amounts of power lever change. If a fairly moderate turn is needed then I'll take the outboard (of the turn) lever back over the stop and around she comes. For tight turns same thing with just a toe tap on the inboard brake.

On the departure I like to bring the (split in ours too) levers up until I show 1900 on the props then brake release. Directional control with slight power lever tweaking and very minor toe taps.

Are you flying for the right or left side? I first started flying the B200 from the right and it was no wonder why it took some getting used to. Much easier when in the "proper" seat.

Now the KA 300, that took a little more work. lol. Beast.

Flying from the right in the B58 and B200, though I did get a left-side empty leg on the King Air recently (an absolute BLAST :) for a newbie/old fart). And yes ... the 'sight picture' was very funky from the right at first.

I get left-side in the Baron and on empties in the KA when I get the ratings finished up. I need to win the lottery. :(

Now the KA 300, that took a little more work. lol. Beast.
Is the KA300/350 much different in handling from the C90/B200?

Minh

Last edited:
LOL! Anytime. Well ... anytime in the first few days after payday, at the end of the month. I'm generally broke by the 6th or 7th. After that it'd have to potted meat samiches. :(

Minh

If you think the KA-200 is bad, try your hand at a MU2 with split power levers. It'll git yer attention real quick!! The KingAir will seem like child's play after that.

-

Lead Sled said:
So very true.

If you think a KA-200 is fun to taxi try a Turbo Commander or a 20 or 30 series Lear. We used to gather around to watch the new guys.

'Sled

Took the words out of my mouth. I don't know about the Lears, but watching a guy in a Commander for the first time is a hoot.

www.bdkingpress.com

Isn't a bit odd, though, that the Baron and the Seneca steer as tightly as a Skyhawk (or even better on take-off, as long as you keep the levers sync'd ... no SE torque), but other aircraft (Commander, MU2, et al) are like learning how to taxi all over again?

Is this a function of the steering mechanism ... the way the steering is actuated? Or is it due to the much increased power/torque that requires more attention to keeping the engines symetrical? Or a combination of both?

So much to learn ... so few brain cells left. :(

Minh the Clueless

most of this has been mentioned, but i had the same problems for the first few hours in the king air. as for taxiing, small rudder corrections w/o differential thrust. jockying the thrust levers just gives you more to do.

take off :) i used to be all over the runway too, so no worries. it does come with experience, but the best suggestions i read were the dancing on the rudder pedals and looking ahead of the aircraft.

good luck my friend

Dunno about the King Air, but in the Cheyenne II, I'm in Beta all the time on the ground to avoid touching the brakes, and I can generally keep it straight with very small adjustments to the throttles. I barely have to work the rudder pedals at all. Like BE200Driver said, in a tighter turn, I just pull one out of beta and that's all there is to it.

As for takeoff - I do the same that 414Flyer does...power it up to 400 pounds on each side, release the brakes, and give it hell.

Latest resources

Back