Taxi Lights for Daytime Taxi

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi!

If you are on the runway, and your landing lights are on, most other planes (and ALL the airliners) will assume you are rolling for takeoff and will take appropriate action.

I like to do stuff the way the FAA requests...

cliff
NBO

Our POI is tell us to use only strobes when in position and holding, landing lights and taxi lights on when cleared for take off. That way aircraft crossing down field can tell when you are rolling. Makes sense to me, since it is hard to tell the difference between Taxi and Landing lights on some aircraft.

I wish I could turn the Nav lights on on the Learjet 45 in the daytime, but when we do that the switch indicators all dim and you can tell if a switch is on or off.

Wow! That's the dumbest thing I have heard in a long time. What was Bombardier smoking when they came up with that? I'm glad it did not carry over to the Challenger 300. Is there a service bulletin to allow use of the Nav lights during the day or are you stuck with it?

Is there a service bulletin to allow use of the Nav lights during the day or are you stuck with it?

I am told something is in the works. All we need is a bright dim switch. We also have to turn on the Left side instrument lights for the APU ampmeter to illuminate.

9/26/03 AC 91-73A

10. USE OF EXTERIOR AIRCRAFT LIGHTS TO MAKE AIRCRAFT MORE CONSPICUOUS.
a. General.
(1) Exterior aircraft lights may be used to make an aircraft operating on the airport surface more conspicuous. Pilots may use various combinations of exterior lights to convey their location and intent to other pilots. Certain exterior lights may also be used in various combinations to signal whether the aircraft is on a taxiway or on a runway, in position on the runway but holding for takeoff clearance, crossing an active runway, or moving down the runway for takeoff.
(2) Because adherence to the guidelines in this AC are voluntary and aircraft equipment varies, pilots are cautioned not to rely solely on the status of an aircraft’s lights to determine the intentions of the pilot(s) of the other aircraft. Additionally, pilots must remember to comply with operating limitations on the aircraft’s lighting systems.
b. Exterior Lights. To the extent possible and consistent with aircraft equipage, operating limitations, and pilot procedures, pilots should illuminate exterior lights as follows:
(1) Engines Running. Turn on the rotating beacon whenever an engine is running.
(2) Taxiing. Prior to commencing taxi, turn on navigation, position, anti-collision, and logo lights, if available. To signal intent to other pilots, consider turning on the taxi light when the aircraft is moving or intending to move on the ground, and turning it off when stopped, yielding, or as a consideration to other pilots or ground personnel. Strobe lights should not be illuminated during taxi if they will adversely affect the vision of other pilots or ground personnel.
(3) Crossing a Runway. All exterior lights should be illuminated when crossing a runway.
CAUTION: Pilots should consider any adverse effects to safety that illuminating the forward facing lights will have on the vision of other pilots or ground personnel during runway crossings.
(4) Entering the Departure Runway for Takeoff. When entering a runway after being cleared for takeoff, or when taxiing into position and hold, pilots should make their aircraft more conspicuous to aircraft on final behind them and to ATC by turning on lights
that highlight the aircraft’s silhouette. Strobe lights should not be illuminated if they will adversely affect the vision of other pilots.
NOTE: The SOP of turning on landing lights when takeoff clearance is received is a signal to other pilots, ATC, and ground personnel that the aircraft is moving down the runway for takeoff.
(except landing lights)

(5) Takeoff. Landing lights should be turned on when takeoff clearance is received, or when commencing takeoff roll at an airport without an operating control tower.

Unfortunately that 'dimming' issue is true on the Lear60 as well-- so while we would like to standardize, we do the closest thing.

I agree with G200. Ice lights and strobes on when crossing a runway--any runway (unless it's got big yellow "X's" painted on it).

TC

Hi!

Thanks for the AC on lighting, above. I have read/done all the FAA/AOPA materials/online educational publications on airport movement safey and they all say about the same as the AC pasted above.

cliff
NBO

What do you guys think about turning off taxi lights at night when holding short? Some guys say it helps landing traffic see the runway because they're not staring at your bright lights, other guys say leave them on so the landing traffic can better see you. I can see the point about being seen but I can also see the point used in the AC of not adversely affecting the vision of other pilots.

PS I hate some of the new GA planes that only have strobes and not a separate rotating beacon. They always blind me rolling down the taxiway.

Hi!

We always do: Taxi ON for movement. OFF for stationary.

cliff
NBO

What do you guys think about turning off taxi lights at night when holding short?

I think its great practice.

I hate some of the new GA planes that only have strobes and not a separate rotating beacon. They always blind me rolling down the taxiway.
We never use strobes on our Cirrus (no beacon) at night on the ground due to the destruction of night vision for us & other folks; the HID landing light & nav lights are plenty for folks to see and avoid us.

It'd be nice if more flight instructors would emphasize this technique to their students; lord knows I was one of the few who taught it when I was instructing at Purdue (their Warriors have strobes/no beacon).

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back