• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Taxi Lights for Daytime Taxi

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I use my 'Taxi/Recog' for Position & Hold and then go to 'Landing Lights' when cleared for take-off.

On my aircraft, the Landing lights simply add two additional outboard lights to the 'Taxi/Recog' Mode.

I do as well, but then again I was airline trained, and we do everything with lights on. My corporate collegues were about 50/50 on it.

I have been flying for major airlines since 1981 and smaller ones before that and have never heard of this. Our SOP's have us turn on the taxi flights for night surface illumination as required and when cleared for takeoff. The nav lights and red strobes top and bottom make us easy to see day or night.

One of many things that drives me nuts: people that use the beacon for a nav light. Meaning, when the APU or GPU is operating they turn on the beacon.

Hi!

The FAA requests that you have ALL lights on while moving on the ground: Except if the strobes may bother someone else, AND: The Landing Lights should NOT be turned on until you are cleared for Takeoff.

If you have your taxi light on, it means you are moving. If off, you are stationary.

If you are on the runway, and your landing lights are on, most other planes (and ALL the airliners) will assume you are rolling for takeoff and will take appropriate action.

I like to do stuff the way the FAA requests...

cliff
NBO

atpcliff said:
The FAA requests

I don't doubt that Cliff (it certainly seems to be a best practice if nothing else)...but do you have a source for that?

It'd be nice ammunition for some here fighting uphill battles...

In my airplane, the difference between taxi lights & landing lights is a slight change in brightness coming from the same 2 lights...so for takeoff we leave the lights in the "taxi/recog" position and weight-off-wheels they automatically become pulselites.

I also turn the wing ice light on taking the runway, turn it off above 10,000, and back on below 10,000 for landing.

I have been flying for major airlines since 1981 and smaller ones before that and have never heard of this.

Each airline is different. XTW and I were trained to use it as a "movement" indicator. You stop to hold short, turn it off.

Bulbs are cheap. Metal is expensive.

TC

One of many things that drives me nuts: people that use the beacon for a nav light. Meaning, when the APU or GPU is operating they turn on the beacon.

I had a guy come tell me the Beacon was on with the APU running. Yes it is, I said. I wish I could turn the Nav lights on on the Learjet 45 in the daytime, but when we do that the switch indicators all dim and you can tell if a switch is on or off. I have complained to Learjet many times about this stupid situation, but factory checklist procedure for the Learjet 45 is beacon on when APU running. Now at night we can use the Navs with no problems and turn the beacon on at engine start. So, before you go tell someone something know the limitations of their aircraft.

here we go :)

Cliff - I know many operators who put landing/pulse lights on taking any active runway....regardless if cleared for takeoff.

I cant imagine any tower controller (or airplanes) assumes you are rolling because your landing lights are on?

I like to be lit up sitting on a runway.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back