Taxi Lights for Daytime Taxi

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

NCherches

How many of you use Taxi Lights for taxing during daytime operations?

I always do but notice many operators do not...

I do as well, but then again I was airline trained, and we do everything with lights on. My corporate collegues were about 50/50 on it.

A/C moving, taxi light on.

I have flown with old timers who didn't like to "burn it out early" by using it, same goes with wearing out the radar...dont turn it on until face to face with a Level 5 storm. Save the magnetron.

A/C moving, taxi light on.

I have flown with old timers who didn't like to "burn it out early" by using it, same goes with wearing out the radar...dont turn it on until face to face with a Level 5 storm. Save the magnetron.

Yep. Always. The BS about "wearing it out too soon", how ghey. Old school old timer. Aviation is so standardized (beacon with engines fired up, Nav with APU/GPU, etc), you'd think people would want to let others know. Next thing you'll hear is that they don't jump all over the brakes when the mains touch!

I hear you on the radar thing. Flown with plenty who don't know the radar is gyro stabilized (in Standby), so when it wasn't being used, "OFF" which always equaled a CLUNK! We'd be taxing in and they'd wonder what all the loose avionics equipment is up front clanking around everytime we made a turn.

Seems like Nav lights are only used by about 25 percent of corporate guys for daytime ops...

I use them on the ground with power cart, taxiing, takeoff but usually kill them with the recog lights climbing out of 18,000 ft. and then turning them on in the decent until unloading pax...

It's always on when were moving - day or night.

Here's another one for y'all - who leaves the landing / pulse lights off in Position & Hold until you're cleared for T/O? We do, it seems that airlines do, but it seems that the rest is about 50/50.

It's always on when were moving - day or night.

Here's another one for y'all - who leaves the landing / pulse lights off in Position & Hold until you're cleared for T/O?

Argeed. Another SOP. Same for Landing. Only comes on with specific clearence. Cleared for T/O = on, Cleared for Landing = on. If you get in that habit, never a question or have to call and ask again. P&H only is for the strobes.
As for airlines; don't know what their reasoning is and don't care. They do lots of things that are simply unexplainable. Thanks for keeping this great topic going 91er.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back