• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

TAM Crash In Sao Paulo

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
By the way I fly a 560 as well. I am pretty sure we would be fine with low REF speeds. The A-320 probally abot 130-140 a totally different game.

Keep the right side up bro

I would be really surprised if that aircraft had the #'s to land on that runway in those conditions with a reverser inoped. I agree that most generic landing performance numbers do not include the use of reverse thrust however most airlines contaminated runway numbers as given on an acuload do include the use of reverse thrust. Rejected takeoff data normally does as well.

IAHERJ

That is the key Contaminated Runway. There are no numbers as pertains to Rejected Take-off. Was it 1/8 inch rain or slush on the runway at the time of landing. Probally but who know's due to no groove's, on the runway it's just a guess.

We can all second guess, but we weren't there

The TR being locked out would not have been a problem if they landed in the TDZ on speed unless the runway was slick with poor braking. I think they landed long and hot and tried to go around judging by the security camera speed and might have made it but they probably went into reverse on the left engine before going around so the left one didn't have time to spool up. Two captains were flying so the check airman probably was letting the captain go too far before the go around attempt. Sad event.

I am positive that all landing data is not predicated on the use of T/R's
My understanding also, BUT, this airport is very short under the best of conditions, remember it wasn't too long ago that a 737 came within a few feet of going over that wall, add to that, I think an ATR went off the day before. Any time your landing at an airport with no drainage shortly after or during rain, how do know how much water is standing on the runway. In this condition (speculation) trying to grease the airplane on can delay spoiler deployment which then will delay auto brakes. Remembering that there is NO overrun at this airport, my technique would be to fly the airplane into the ground (go for the numbers), and I like medium auto brake, if I didn't get good deceleration I would be outa there, once you deploy reverses, you are now committed. RIP

Not that this is relavent to the accident, but if things are not right ( speed, glide slope, runway conditions) GO AROUND LIVE TO PLAY ANOTHER DAY.

Good Luck to all and say a prayer for the people on board.

This accident should be a lesson to all of us. Please don't paint yourself into a box that you cannot escape. I really don't want to read about brother pilots on this board in an inncident.

God Bless

Say Again Over

Thank you but the runway is longer than MDW which has no problem with 737-700,800 and 757-300 all day long. I agree with you plant it no time for smooth landings.

Latest resources

Back