Takeoff Mins/Pinnacle Ops Specs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Quick question...

In KSBN this morning. Tower calling 1000RVR on runway 27L. Look at the back of our Jepp 10-9 page to find airport takeoff mins. Runway 27L has no HIRL or CL so the chart lists the minimum visibility for takeoff is 1600 RVR per adaquate visual reference. So we hold our taxi out. Meanwhile two Pinnacle CRJ 200's taxi our and state that they only need 1000 RVR for takeoff, they both depart.

Does Pinnacle have different charts than I do? Is there any way that Pinnacle's ops specs are allowing them to go below the chart's published takeoff mins?

Thanks, it was bugging us all morning.

This is one of the reasons why i refuse to ride on PNCL. What were they thinking???

Jepps are NOT controlling, if you have C056 AND C078, and the airfield is so equipped...

Jepps are definitely not controlling. If you carefully read c078, you should find a statement allowing you to reduce to lower visibility requirements
provided that various lighting and marking configurations exist and the published airport takeoff minimums are standard or lower. Pinnacle was doing what they were allowed to and supposed to, moving meat from point a to b.

Here is what I think...

The Jepps are correct, at least the majority of the time. For 1000 RVR we need:

Operative Runway CL, or
HIRL and RCLM, and
TDZ, MID(if installed) and Rollout RVRs normally required and control. One may be inop, in which case the other two control.

KSBN meets the HIRL and RCLM, but as far as I can tell it only has TDZ RVR. This is why the Jepps do not list it as an option--it's not.

The TDZ RVR info comes from airnav.com for 27L. I suppose that could be wrong.

Anyway, as I said, that is what I think. I will always go by the Jepps.

better think again

Jepps are definitely not controlling. If you carefully read c078, you should find a statement allowing you to reduce to lower visibility requirements
provided that various lighting and marking configurations exist and the published airport takeoff minimums are standard or lower. Pinnacle was doing what they were allowed to and supposed to, moving meat from point a to b.

Anyway, as I said, that is what I think. I will always go by the Jepps.

What would you do if your company used LIDOs instead of Jepps?

I've got the LIDO AOI page 1-20 for SBN in front of me now and the only visibility restriction for rwy 27 and 18/36 is 1/4 mile tower visibility. There is no use of RVR data for this runway. The original post does not indicate what reported tower vis was but if they were reporting 1/4 mile it was a legal takeoff.

I'm not saying LIDO is right but thats what we have available to us and thats what we use. Assuming the tower visibility was there these PCL crews did exactly what they were trained and expected to do.

I don't have an SBN chart with me right now, bu tif the tower reported the 27L rvr as 1000' as the original post said, then it is controlling. Regardless of what LIDO says.

Last edited:
I don't have an SBN chart with me right now, but if the tower reported the 27L rvr as 1000' as the original post said, then it is controlling. Regardless of what LIDO says.

It is not controlling if your charts do not have a reference to RVR. Tower visibility then becomes controlling.

If its installed at the runway, and it is operational, then it is controlling. You can't ignore it just because you have substandard charts with incomplete information. If the tower gives you an RVR, then it is controlling for that runway.

I don't know about Pinnacle, but I know at some other regionals you can reduce according to what the -9 states. For example: The standard takeoff minimums are 1SM (5000 RVR). If, on the back of the -9, standard (or lower) mins are depicted, you can reduce to either 1/4 mile (1600 RVR), 1000/1000 RVR (TDZ and RO), or 600/600/600 RVR (one RVR may be inoperative). This all depends on the type of lights that particular runway has. It all depends on your OPS SPECS.

Latest resources

Back