• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Take Hornet Drvr off the SWA list

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SWA baby!!!! Daytime flying!! The best FA's in the industry!! Best airplane paint job!! No middle of the night sort. Quality of Life, baby! 1-2-3..

Just kidding dude, you made the right decison for You....

this might sound dumb...

Try jumpseating a trip or two in Jan/Feb off season. Fly a trip or two indicative of what you would be doing. See what you like (and don't) about the job. Obviously, you'll be in the back, not in the cockpit, but between goes you can eat with your SWA bros, go get another JS pass, and hang with them all day.

Don't get a super senior trip (like our OAK-Fresno run), but don't pummel yourself with a 6 legger if you only do one of those a month or so at SWA...your bros can steer you right.

I was tied in knots 2 years ago wondering if I should go to Jetblue or Fedex. Well...a few offline commutes later, I realized how nice deviation bank money and a company jumpseat can be to a commuter. Knowing how hard getting back and forth to JFK from NW Fla would be, I am a lot less torn looking back. However, if I had decided to move to MCO, or if you decided to move to PHX, HOU, MCO, etc the choice might be more difficult.

The FAs at this hotel last night were not that young and could not really be called "hotties"...seemed older than average. However, they still had that nice SWA smile and attitude. As a married guy with 3 daughters, the lack of FAs around is not an issue. Yeah...I'd likely be just as loyal if I were somewhere else, but my wife has one less thing to worry about when I'm on the road. When you share a hotel with a pax crew, you also get to see the "cat herder" mentaility that pax pilots sometimes have to adopt trying to get their crew of 5, 6, or even 7 folks to the transportation on time. Not a big deal really but certainly something we don't deal with a FDX. On the other hand, you and I play FA a bit when we grab meals and coffee...

No kidding FJ...I'd hit the road for a 3-4 trip, maybe a couple of times, and take a good hard look. I know it won't help you sleep, but either way you go you'll have some good folks around you and one of the better businesses in America today behind you.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I have to agree with Albie. Try it and se if you can deal with that type of life style. It's all about your personality. I too had to make a similar decision. I found solice in asking myself the difficult questions.

Can you deal with flying the same type of equipment for the rest of your career?
Taking a job knowing that I would be starting and retiring in the same piece of equipment was not for me. For some they love the idea of just having to learn one type.

Can you deal with only flying in the greater 48?
I need variety. I would sooner have the ability to fly to new different places. This was more important then upgrade time to me. The ability to fly to Tokyo or Rome was more important then how fast I got to the left seat. For some it's the other way around. I have flown with plenty of folks who never want to leave the US. Or the quicker to the left seat the better.

Can you deal with the LCC mentality?
SWA is great, of all the US carriers they are the only one I would be willing to be a career on (outside UPS and FedEx). They will most likly be here when you retire. BUT they still are a LOW COST carrier. Any company that starts out with the term LOW COST has one thing in mind keeping costs low. If that type of flying is for you, awesome. Some could care less and fly cargo. Some folks like the first class. To each his own.

Just ask yourself the tough questions and don't look back.

BAKE, I think you answered your own questions!!

"SWAbigdaddy, just wondering what would make it more rewarding? MONEY, you probably would make more money flying a career at FedEx."

YES, money is good. Thats why I work.
MONEY=REWARD

"However, if is a challenge you are looking for I think you are mistaken. Neither SWA nor FedEx flying is challenging. Yes, you can go international and fly bigger planes but that ain't no big deal. Just curious what you think is rewarding. "

Yes, flying bigger airplanes internationally is more challenging.
BIGGER AIRPLANE/INTERNATIONAL=CHALLENGING
OAK-LAX-SJC-ONT-SMF-LAX/737=NOT CHALLENGING

:eek:

Bigdaddy, C'mon now. More Challenging flying international?? Maybe for a couple of months, same thing with the bigger airplane. It will be challenging until you figure it out. 2 years flying that stuff and you will be bitchin because they wont let you fly the space shuttle.

Good Luck

Glad to hear he's happy enough at FedEx to step aside and let someone without a airline job get one!

That was a nice thing to do Switch Monkey.

Switch Monkey,

There are "THOUSANDS" of people that would be happy to be flipping switches for Fedex, especially if they had some seniority.

Maybe you should just count you lucky stars, relax and enjoy life. Be happy with what you DO have, and stop worrying about what you don't.

Count your blessings, even the small ones! (Though a job as a pilot at Fedex would NOT be considered small)

Good Luck To Us All!

The great debate.

Ah....and the great debate continues....on-infinitum I presume...(or is it adnausium)???

Your all right....except for the part about a Snickers bars and a can of YooHoo! I eat the best meals at SWA, 50% off at most of our four star hotels make me feel like a king...(but not a networ-king.)

In fact, I'm the King of the 737, flying the lower 48 with 8-12 legs a day!!!!

However, I only need 7-8 hours of sleep (at night) after getting home from a trip. What do the international flying folks need to right themselves onto their family's clock?

Where is Dennis Miller when you need him?? CNBC

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back