Tab Express (Deland, FL) Shuts Down!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Originally Posted by Flyguy6
I have a question about PFT. I notice a lot of people get ill when you mention PFT. I really dont kow much about it so I dont have an opinion. But I would like to ask this. I am 37 years old and I want to be an airline pilot. If I wait to get the CFI job and bukid hours for 2 years just to get a charter job flying Barons for anotyher two years and then get to an airline.Iwil be too old to have a career. So whats wrong with an older person that wants to be a profesional pilot to do PFT? Its gets you to your goal before you get too old Everyones situation doesnt allow them to go the traditional route. Just asking. I did go the traditionalroute.It took me ten years to get my commercial lisence. I went from FBO to FBO and flew when Ihad the money. I am in Iraq now with the NAtional Guard trying to earn money for my multi and CFI.

Flyguy 6, thanks for serving and I wish you home soon.

Towards your question, would you want your commanding officer to be someone who had worked their way up into their position and possessed all the experience that came with serving their "time in grade" along the way or someone who dropped $50K at some Commanding Officer Academy and didn't know the first thing about leading troops outside of book knowledge. You and I both know there is a difference in someone "filling a slot" and someone who can lead on experience. For the same reason we don't put E-1's in command of troops we also shouldn't put 500 hour pilots at the wheel of a passenger jet.

Again, hurry home and watch your six. Salute.

DAS at 10/250,

I think you just described a 2nd Lt. No offense.

What is the difference between an E2 and a 2nd Lt?

The E2 has been promoted!(all in good fun)

RSixer said:
That's exactly the piont, these crooks who take advantage of people who don't really know anything about aviation yet, all they know is thier dream of wanting a flying job, hell years ago when I just got started if someone told me they could get me on with a airline in record fast time, I to would of at least seriously considered it.

I agree, has anybody noticed that 50% of the content of Flying magazine is glossy ads that depict students in uniforms who are all on the fast-track to airline jobs? Maybe the users of Flightinfo can pool their money together and take out an anti-PFT ad as a public service. My point is, PFT may be a dirty word around here, but all these prospective students have to go on are magazine ads that get them all starry-eyed with the promise of "career" employment as a Regional Airline First Officer. I feel bad for them. They are not trying to "cut in line" in front of anybody else. They have no idea what some of us have done to get to where we are now. For all they know, we are all airline academy graduates ourselves.

Personally, I know somebody who was scammed there before the B1900 Florida airline idea ever came to the surface. He went there because the instructors were all supposed to be airline pilots, so who better to teach students? Also, the idea of training in a King Air is preferable to a Seminole or Seneca. So, he did not "get what he deserved". Everybody is entitled to their opinion on here, but I don't regard you guys as "big-shots" for taking pleasure in other people getting scammed by TAB. I am sure that they don't need an anti-PFT education now, anyway.

CMRdvr said:
DAS at 10/250,

I think you just described a 2nd Lt. No offense.

What is the difference between an E2 and a 2nd Lt?

The E2 has been promoted!(all in good fun)

Aint that the truth, ever been under the command of a 2nd LT thats an academy grad. He has nothing but book leadership and yet he has more authority than Gunny with 15 yrs and afew combat tours.

Justice on the way?....Maybe

A buddy of mine just sent this to me. -kingaira90

This was straight from AOPA’s web site this morning:
FLORIDA FLIGHT SCHOOL UNDER INVESTIGATION
The Florida Attorney General's office has confirmed that it is investigating the TAB Express International flight school in Deland, Florida, which closed suddenly in mid-June, stranding students. A spokeswoman for Attorney General Charlie Christ said 40 to 50 students from as far away as Japan lost up to $100,000 each, although newspaper accounts say 80 students were affected. Students were required to pay all the funds at the beginning of their training. The Orlando Sentinel reported the school used the Ohio-based Key Bank to make loans to the students. When the bank cut off loan funds, the school's key source of funding was lost, the newspaper said. "The flight school said it had an airline and that if students flew for it for two years their loans would be repaid, but they didn't have an airline," said the spokeswoman for the attorney general. Highway billboards and signs on public buses indicate that TAB Express operates flights from Daytona Beach. However, an airport official in Daytona Beach said that while the company rents ticket-counter space with the words "TAB Express" on a sign, it never operated flights from there.

The bolded is classic Mitch M.

I feel sorry for the students who spend 100,000 and will probably never get it back. I don't have a problem with legit PFT programs because to me they sound like a great way for people to break into the industry without years of instructing. TAB Express was a scam operation tho and I hope the students get ther money back.

Ice Hawk said:
I feel sorry for the students who spend 100,000 and will probably never get it back. I don't have a problem with legit PFT programs because to me they sound like a great way for people to break into the industry without years of instructing. TAB Express was a scam operation tho and I hope the students get ther money back.

For every newly minted commercial pilot willing to do PFT there is an experienced pilot who cannot feed his or her family.

Ice Hawk said:

Oh man!! You just opened up a big ole can of poopy! I hope you're ready for the personal attacks to begin. I do have to agree with pullmyfinger though; there is no such thing a "legit pft". Unfortunately, you probably won't find too many people on this board that will explain to you why pft is wrong. They prefer name calling and personal attacks. I will attempt explain it to you, but I am just beginning to understand it all myself. The basic problem, as I understand it, is that it takes jobs away from more "qualified" pilots. The reason I qouted qualified is that there are some low time pilots who are ready to take the step to higher performance aircraft. However, the majority of those that use pft, are nowhere near ready for anything more than a light twin, at most. Ask a blue collar industrial worker why they hate NAFTA and it will probably be very similar to the hatred of PFT in this industry. I know this hasn't been the best explanation, but hopefully it will get someone else to explain it more clearly instead of just attacking you personally. Do some more research and hopefully it will clear up your misunderstanding of PFT.

DAS at 10/250 said:
Originally Posted by Flyguy6
I have a question about PFT. I notice a lot of people get ill when you mention PFT. I really dont kow much about it so I dont have an opinion. But I would like to ask this. I am 37 years old and I want to be an airline pilot. If I wait to get the CFI job and bukid hours for 2 years just to get a charter job flying Barons for anotyher two years and then get to an airline.Iwil be too old to have a career. So whats wrong with an older person that wants to be a profesional pilot to do PFT? Its gets you to your goal before you get too old Everyones situation doesnt allow them to go the traditional route. Just asking. I did go the traditionalroute.It took me ten years to get my commercial lisence. I went from FBO to FBO and flew when Ihad the money. I am in Iraq now with the NAtional Guard trying to earn money for my multi and CFI.

Flyguy 6, thanks for serving and I wish you home soon.

Towards your question, would you want your commanding officer to be someone who had worked their way up into their position and possessed all the experience that came with serving their "time in grade" along the way or someone who dropped $50K at some Commanding Officer Academy and didn't know the first thing about leading troops outside of book knowledge. You and I both know there is a difference in someone "filling a slot" and someone who can lead on experience. For the same reason we don't put E-1's in command of troops we also shouldn't put 500 hour pilots at the wheel of a passenger jet.

Again, hurry home and watch your six. Salute.

Actually, youjust described a new LT, which I used to be one. In the military we put people incharge based on their educationlevel and not neccessarily their experience. I am a 1LT because Iwent to OCS. I used to be enlisted so Iknow the deal,but Iunderstand what you are saying Ijust dont ee the connection. Whats the difference between giving Tab express $10,000 to build time and renting a piper semnole for 100 hours of flight time?

Latest resources

Back