Tab Express (Deland, FL) Shuts Down!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Flyguy6 said:
I have a question about PFT. I notice a lot of people get ill when you mention PFT. I really dont kow much about it so I dont have an opinion. But I would like to ask this. I am 37 years old and I want to be an airline pilot. If I wait to get the CFI job and bukid hours for 2 years just to get a charter job flying Barons for anotyher two years and then get to an airline.Iwil be too old to have a career. So whats wrong with an older person that wants to be a profesional pilot to do PFT? Its gets you to your goal before you get too old Everyones situation doesnt allow them to go the traditional route. Just asking. I did go the traditionalroute.It took me ten years to get my commercial lisence. I went from FBO to FBO and flew when Ihad the money. I am in Iraq now with the NAtional Guard trying to earn money for my multi and CFI.

Because you are attempting to shortcut the process and sit in a seat you are not truly qualified to fill. Have some self-respect and only accept positions you are fully competent to fill.

Why would you want to be a trainee gear-jerker who is so far behind the airplane that the captain is practically single-pilot?

If you never get to the airlines, well - maybe you won't. Your goal should be to be a GOOD PILOT, and then when you have that licked, worry about whether you get an airline job.

I guarantee that there are individuals with more experience and skill who want that airline job - why should you move to the front simply because you want to?

Sorry to be a jerk, but as I have said before, it is more important to deserve what you get than to try to get what you think you deserve.

TDTURBO said:
If you took all the money from the rich and gave it to the poor, the rich would have it all back in a year. If you're dumb enough to spend a 100k for ratings you can get anywhere else like a local FBO for less than half that price, then you deserve to get screwed.

You make your own bed then sleep in it!

No matter how much money you give an idiot, he will be broke in a year, that's just the way it is and always will be.
I have no sympathy for PFT scum, I love it!

You are right on the money my friend, I couldn't have said it any better if I tried. . A pretty good lesson for them all down there.

Eighty students were paying a combined $5 million to $8 million to TAB Express to be trained as pilots for prop planes and jets and as instructors.

What a deal:D Kong says he is over the "mad stage" though and now just wants to get on with his life!.

Last edited:
fliynhi said:
True, but you don't get to fly at Wal-mart.

How does that make any difference at all? Even people who love the kind of job that Wal-Mart offers would not pay to work there.

Flying for an airline is a JOB. The sooner you get that into your head, the better off you'll be.

Ralgha said:
How does that make any difference at all? Even people who love the kind of job that Wal-Mart offers would not pay to work there.

Flying for an airline is a JOB. The sooner you get that into your head, the better off you'll be.

It's true that flying for an airline is a job. I was just making a smarta$$ comment. Unless you're running a particular airline, there is nothing you can do about pft. You can try to influence someone into not doing it but you can't force them. Like I said in my earlier post, pft is here to stay until the industry turns around and there are more jobs than pilots. Yes, it sucks!! But the sooner you get that into your head the happier you can be. Why fret about those things that you cannot change?

fliynhi said:
. Like I said in my earlier post, pft is here to stay until the industry turns around and there are more jobs than pilots.

Actually, PFT has nothing to do with how well the Airline Industry is doing, except for the fact that these start up pay for your job companies seem to flurish when the Airlines are hiring, hurry up and get your time before they stop is the ploy they pitch, the fact of the matter is that PFT is here to stay as long as people are willing to pay rediculous amounts of money for a coulple hundred hours of F/O time. Realisticlly 300 hours SIC in a 1900 doesn't get you all that far, your still gonna have to strap on a C172 for another 1000 hours just to be marketable as a pilot. Agian I don't insult people for doing this kind of trianing, I just dispise companies that exploit the profession, it sets the standard that pilots are a dime a dozen willing to pay for thier jobs.

Last edited:
This makes me laugh reading this.

With a little research future pilots of tab could have done a little research and found he had to get out of VRB real quick one day.

Bob was running the same show down there and things happened and he had to leave quickly. He surfaced in deland and was up to his old tricks.

A couple of years ago there were a couple of tab instructors on here trying to tell us how good the training was. How they are more professional because they are wearing uniforms and stuff. We all had a pretty good laugh and threads eventually died out.

The same pft stuff comes up again and again but i feel bad for students of tab express. If they had done more research they would have understood how dangerous it was to put there money with TAB.

Of course there still are some king airs down in VRB that haven't been picked up yet if you want some parts. :)

[Why would you want to be a trainee gear-jerker who is so far behind the airplane that the captain is practically single-pilot?

To my Comrade Mr. 100LL

I have flown many, many hours as a single pilot. In my humble opinion, anytime you have a F/O that is not qualified and/or competent, you are worse off than being single pilot.
At least when your alone you can rely on the one guy you have, and not constantly worry about the fool next to you.
Some people are qualified at 300 hours, some are deadly at 10,000.
But thinking you can just buy your way in without total commitment is just plain wrong.

fliynhi said:
Yes it was an expensive school, but how else do you get actual airline pilots (furloughed, retired and a few active) come and teach unless you pay them well? I do agree that the uniforms were pretty ridiculous though.

Why do you need actual airline pilots to teach you? That isnt going to make you a better pilot, or help you get into an airline, if thats what you want. Thats just some of TAB marketing you fell for.

And no, most people would not have spent 100K at a TAB express kind of program if they had that kind of resource. A lot of people could have gotten such loans but chose not to.

With 100K, you could easily get all of your ratings, and lots of twin time, and have no problem getting a job. Actually you could do it and have a lot of money left over too. Anytime you hear the word "program" in regard to aviation training, it means someone wants your money and a lot of it. And you might very well get little to nothing in return for it.

Dont fall for clever marketing. You will probably be more careful after this, but there are going to be a lot of people in financial trouble because of this, and if they had checked around and asked "actual airline pilots" instead of thinking it will be so great to be taught by them...

414Flyer said:
With 100K, you could easily get all of your ratings, and lots of twin time, and have no problem getting a job. Actually you could do it and have a lot of money left over too.
[font=&quot]Not only that, but you could buy your own twin and or get some partners. Rent the plane out when your not using it, and eventually teach in the a/p. Sell your share in a year or two and get a lot of your money back out… You’d probably learn more about the industry from doing it yourself.[/font]

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back