T-38C production line

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FastCargo said:
Anyway, as far as I know, there isn't a T-38A model with PMP. All our PMP mods have been converted to T-38Cs first. As far as flying goes, the T-38C PMP jets just plain ROCK! I find the performance really doesn't feel that much different at anything above about 200 knots.

I hear there's a problem with the PMP jets getting too hot in places. Any word on the fix?

I was at the Pentagon last month, and a friend of mine who's a Beltway Bandit (and a former Sq/CC) said that we are funded for PMP, but not the C-model (yet). I believe he said FY 08 for the PMP. I didn't have him clarify if he meant ACC as a whole, or just Beale. I've got to assume that it's for all 41 of ACC's T-38 jets.
But, I can't imagine that the USAF is going to allow 41 jets to remain A-models at the end of the production line. It just makes no sense to have a split fleet. I'm thinking that an 11th hour funding decision will happen about 6 months before they close the line at Willy.
No TOLD TAB data for high PA's??? Crazy talk!
Barnowl: say hello to Vosko.

Last edited:
Never ceases to amaze mw what a small world aviation is. Three Beale alumni on this post. (One recce type, one IP and one enlisted puke)

The Captain I've been flying with this month is a retired Lt Col who went through PIT back in 81' with my Basic Training Squadron CC. Small world.

Hot fix?

talondriver said:
I hear there's a problem with the PMP jets getting too hot in places. Any word on the fix?

Well, if you're talking about the tailpipe heat at MIL/MAX on the ground, the ops limits have changed slightly for PMP jets.

Mil and Max power ON THE GROUND are now limited to 5 minutes. It's really only relevant for the 'oil pressure reduction during a cold day' restriction.

If you're talking about something else, I haven't a clue...

FastCargo

PS Huggy, I remember Vosko, just saw him recently at alt chamber refresh training...along with Guy N.

Surely JT has over 3000... Huggy, I'd have thought you would be close too... No?

What is PMP? The only technological "advance" I ever saw was the throttle gate.

Great quote, Fast...

Floyd R. Turbo said:
What is PMP? The only technological "advance" I ever saw was the throttle gate.

It is the NASA modification which re-shapes the inlets and nozzles. It also changes the engine a little, adding in a ceramic compressor core and changing the blades a but. The whole thing reportedly adds 19% to the takeoff static thrust.

It adds a little bit, but it's barely noticeable. Even worse is that the 'fat lip' intakes add enough drag that the jet is actually slower at altitude.

Mr Turbo! You weren't at Oshkosh, you slacker!
The PMP is the "Propulsion Modification Program". The USAF borrowed NASA's 10+ year old redesign of the intake and exhaust to get more static thrust for takeoff performance. I've got a whopping 1.1 hours in the back of a Moody C-model, so that's about all I know about it (other than a lot of rumor). In early 2003, the regular T-38 TOLD that you would remember got relooked at, and changed for the more conservative. We now go Cat III anytime the sun is shining.

I'll check with JT. I'm hoping to crack 3K in March, and am curious to see if there are any other active Talon Drivers with that much. I know there used to be a lot, but not anymore. I'm planning a 4 ship with 7 drivers (me solo, of course) and I'm thinking we can get 13K hours of Talon experience in the formation. Plus, it's another opportunity to have a party.

Change 1: I see Mud Eagle's post. Sorry I repeated what he said.

Last edited:
Don't worry about the repetition, you know I need four or five times for it to sink in. JT told me about that mod, I didn't realize that was the name.

I was bummed about not making Oshkosh, but looking at jumpseating and renting cars and parking and yada yada yada.... and having to get back in time for my trip, I wussed out... Flying in is the only way to go, so hopefully next year everything will align and I'll be camping in the vintage area again.

Had dinner with Crash tonight (Had to do a quick YC touch and go to check on my house), he seemed fired up about the OST. Whatsa matter, couldn't get anyone to fly with you? ;) Wish I could fill that seat, although I wouldn't help with the numbers much--500 hr wienie that I am--but hey... it was quality time, at least for me :)

I'm coming back out here for his retirement (Can't miss that, it was bad enough missing the reunion), so I'll see you in the Heritage Room sometime next month. Cool down the beer and heat up the dice.

Cheers!

Latest resources

Back