Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Huggyu2

Live to fly; fly to live
As the T-38C is being cranked out pretty steadily, does anyone know when the production line at Willy is going to be closed?

Huggy,

There was a posting for a USAF TR position at Willy Gateway back about 6 months ago. The TR tour was only supposed to be about 3 years, then the position would go away entirely. So my guess was about 3-4 years from the time of the position opening.

FastCargo

FastC,
Thanks. I take it you're still in the RND gig? I'm still wondering if anyone out there has over 3K in the Talon. No one here (yet), but getting close.
What do you like better: T-38A with PMP, or T-38C with PMP?
Huggy

Huggy,

That's a good question! I know most (if not ALL) of the reservists have over 2k hours... There's gotta be some close to 3k. I have 2600+ right now...

Actually, ol' JT on the active duty side may have 3k...remember JT from Beale? Or maybe Hoz?

Anyway, as far as I know, there isn't a T-38A model with PMP. All our PMP mods have been converted to T-38Cs first. As far as flying goes, the T-38C PMP jets just plain ROCK! I find the performance really doesn't feel that much different at anything above about 200 knots.

Couple of minor issues:

1) Because the speeds have been bumped up 5 knots, with the appropriate changes in AOA, I find that I tend to instinctively pull about .65 AOA to get the same 'feel' in the final turn as the A model.

2) There isn't TOLD TAB data for really high PA altitudes...so technically, we are not allowed to stay at C Springs. Even though the PMP jets are much better for TOLD.

That's about it...there have been about a billion PIT syllabus changes however. Don't even ask me about that...it gets impossible to keep up....

FastCargo

Huggyu2 said:
As the T-38C is being cranked out pretty steadily, does anyone know when the production line at Willy is going to be closed?

Right now Mesa is finishing up Laughlin's and the Navy TPS jets. Then Sheppard. After that, who knows.

Huggy- any words on ACC buying the mod?

Last edited:
We already have a few C models here at KSPS. No word on the PMP for us, though. I don't think it's going to happen for YEARS. (thank the whole international flair for that, I suppose...ENJJPT has its own decision process)

Huggy --

Have you heard if you guys are going to get the C - model or PMP upgrade? We haven't heard anything here at szl yet...

FastCargo said:
Anyway, as far as I know, there isn't a T-38A model with PMP. All our PMP mods have been converted to T-38Cs first.
The closest animal would be NASA's T-38N models, they've had the the PMP done. The cockpit is still essentially an A model though, with the exception of a EADI/EHSI and Universal UNS-1K FMS and HUD.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back