• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

T-38C Near Miss Video

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It looked like a C-21 or T-1 that they nearly T-boned. I couldn't slow it down enough to tell. Does anyone know what it was? Was the guy on the radio passing the departure message the same plane that almost hit the T-38? Sounds like it.

When I was working for Midway, I was almost smacked by a civilian Lear 21 in 1999 around RDU that was filing an IFR flight plan over center frequency.

Save non-essential, off primary freq radio traffic and admin duties for >10,000 feet. Or file the damn flight plan at the FBO/base ops.

Hag

Aircraft ID

The IP I spoke to said it was a Beech Baron. He showed me several still frames from the video, which they used to track down the N-number and contact the pilot. He didn't say what, if any, disciplinary action was taken. I don't think the Baron pilot was even aware of the incident; although the T-38 wasn't exactly in a blind spot, a couple of seconds of looking the other way was probably enough to miss the whole show.

Far as heavies w/ HUDs go, our J model 130s have 'em.

I remember several times on low level routes in the Real Rhino, oops, wrong thread, where we came pretty close to bugsmashers. It's neat to be cruising at 480-600 knots and see a Cessna that looks like it's dangling from a string 'cause of the difference in our airspeeds.

What really got my attention, though, was doing 6000' line abreast pop-up attacks in the MOA and noticing a Mooney, white with a blue stripe, right between us as we popped up. No doubt he had a story to tell if he saw us.

Our favorite, though, was catching a Columbus T-38 on an IR route. We'd normally slide right in on his wing in route and wait for him to notice. Usually we'd get a thumbs up from the guys, every once in a while one would try to "get away."

Ah, well, guess I'll wake up now.

I was at Laughlin in March, and some students told me that if the HUD goes out, it's akin to a minor EP: they come back 1 to a full stop.

You mean it's not? Hell I'm a total HUD Cripple. I think I'd have to squawk 7700 and take the short field gear if I lost mine.

most students do not. unless you go through columbus or sheppard, it is the t-6 then the t-1 or t-38c. all glass. not sure whether that is a good thing or not.

lipper

Lipper - you missed my point. What I meant by the statement was even though an airplane has a HUD you still are taught to bring all your instruments into your x check when flying, whether it be instrument flying or a tactical mission. In the T-38C, they still have "round" dials, even though they're on an EFIS display. In the F-15, the HUD is not approved to fly an instrument approach by sole means only but in the F-16 it is. I'm not sure whether it is or not in the T-38C, however I know for a fact the students still are taught to use all sensors available to them in all phases of flight. If the HUD is the primary method of shooting an ILS for them, so be it...but they still keep the other round dials in their x check.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back