• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

T-38C Near Miss Video

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The IP I spoke to said it was a Beech Baron. He showed me several still frames from the video, which they used to track down the N-number and contact the pilot. He didn't say what, if any, disciplinary action was taken. I don't think the Baron pilot was even aware of the incident; although the T-38 wasn't exactly in a blind spot, a couple of seconds of looking the other way was probably enough to miss the whole show.

Where did they get the video? Do UPT T-38's have a "gun camera?"

Where did they get the video? Do UPT T-38's have a "gun camera?"
T-38C's have a VTR system that can be set to record either the HUD, the MFD in either cockpit, or a combination of both.

Radio call is from a KRND t-6 (JPATS 86).

BARON is flying typical civi IFR...

I Follow Roads except at 500, AGL

Half of Texas in that area is low level routes belonging to krnd, kdlf, kskf, kdys, knfw, and ksps

Was number 2 on VR-186 at 500' once and had a Twin Air fly below us south to north not squawking...lead had us pop-up and shoot a call off to Flight Service. They called Customs...customs launches citation with big nose. We go on with simulated drop.

I will admit to once once on a solo flight from an airport next to SPS, I was took the Traumahawk over to SPS to get some landing at a towered airport and then on the way back the whole 7 miles west, I went a little higher than I should have, into the altitude meant for the T-38s. As soon as I saw that, I quickly look around and see a 38 at my 7, really really close and fast.

I am glad I didnt end up a statistic.

And there it is, 48 hours 7 minutes before someone had to turn this into a mil vs civil aviation matter. Nice work 414...

I dont see how I was turning it into a mil vs civ. Just stating how I when I was a solo student civilian pilot, my inattention caused a similiar situation with a T-38

It's a matter of everyone staying vigilant and informed. When I was a student pilot back in the mid 70s, my instructor had shown me on the sectional where a low-level military route was located near my home town. The route made a dogleg at the tip of a lake about 15 miles north of my high school. I used to occasionally get time off from school to do some of my solo cross countries (principal liked me, and he had flown B-29s), and I sometimes flew over the school just to "show off".
One day while I was in the school parking lot, three ANG A-7s came scorching right overhead at less than 500ft, pulling hard in 90 degree bank turns. I'd never seen that before or after, so I guess its possible that they missed the turn by a few seconds. For me it was a wake up call to keep my eyes open, because anyone can make a mistake and it can all be over in an instant.
Years later, while doing touch-and-goes, a helicopter went barreling straight through the traffic pattern, missing me by maybe a couple hundred feet horizontally. I never saw him, only finding out when I landed from an instructor who saw him pass behind me. Even if you're exactly where you are supposed to be, doing everything right, you can still end up in a smoking hole.

Phhht,,, Thats not a close call..... I'll show you a close call....

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back