• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

T-38C Near Miss Video

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm sadly disappointed that the best the IP could come up with was "oh my gosh". It's the new PC air force for ya.
Oh, and that HUD is ridiculous for UPT. Don't these kids learn to fly round dials any more?
Sad.

Did you read this comment on youtube?

"Looks to me that the F-5 Pilot was not flying VFR Altitudes! Course 325 he should of been flying at even thousands +500 "2500, 4500, etc etc" but he is flying at 1500 ft! Unless he was in a designated Military Operations Area or Bomb Range! Looks to me that He was the one out of line for two reasons, 1 not flying VFR courses and Altitudes, 2 not maintaining Situational Awareness! "

hehehe

"Looks to me that the F-5 Pilot was not flying VFR Altitudes! Course 325 he should of been flying at even thousands +500 "2500, 4500, etc etc" but he is flying at 1500 ft! Unless he was in a designated Military Operations Area or Bomb Range! Looks to me that He was the one out of line for two reasons, 1 not flying VFR courses and Altitudes, 2 not maintaining Situational Awareness! "

hehehe

What an idiot!

Anywho.....glad those guys were ok! That was way too close!

Wow....

I like the "lets go home." Ya I'd need a smoke and a beer after that.

Did the A/V club nerds really need to put credits on there?

Last edited:
Whew!

I was at Randolph back in June and spoke to one of the IPs in the squadron, and he said they determined that the aircraft missed each other by a bout 80 feet. Given the speeds and converging vectors, the margin of life and death was measured in milliseconds.

As far as the HUD being used for UPT, I don't think anyone at Randolph is actually in UPT. I'm pretty sure these guys are all rated USAF pilots undergoing training to be IPs.

If a student is in T-38s I'm think it's safe to say that his end assignment airplane will have a HUD, unless its a B-52.

It only makes sense to make their trainers similar to what they'll fly when they get to the RAF (real Air Force).

hehehe
Let me understand there point here, he should be at VFR altitudes? HHMMM, 1500 ft MSL puts him about 600-700 ft AGL around the Randolph AFB area. That means he must have been on a low level route (either IR, VR route since T-38s are to fast for SR routes) VFR altitudes don't apply on those routes and definitely not below 3000ft AGL last time I checked. Been out of the AF for over 3 years, but unless they changed something it sounds to me like the civilian traffic was buzzing around VFR at 600 feet AGL cutting across military low level route he probably didn't know existed. Is that enough for their point 1? Their point 2, no SA hhmmm let's see, he's at 325 KIAS (approx) civilian traffic probably around 180-210 KIAS (guess) that puts closure rate around 500 KIAS. That's greater than 8 miles/min or approz .13 miles per second closure. Let me guess his cross check at 500 feet can pick up all traffic covering .13miles each sec? So that dot on the horizon 2 miles away is a blurr past the windscreen in less that 20 seconds. Maybe what they should be asking is rather, "shouldn't the civilian pilot be tooling around above 3000' AGL at hemishperical altitudes and get the h*ll away from published low level routes.

Let's just be glad they were lucky, the big sky theory worked, and everyone made it home safely.

I'm old school, dogg, flew the T-38A.

Does the "C" have TCAS?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back