• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

T-1

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ever been to UPT? I had two CFII's in my class. One did awesome - mostly because he was a great dude, not because he was a gifted pilot. The other washed out and went to UNT. Attitude, not hours, will get you through UPT. Keep in mind that most IPs are not FAIPs. If I remember correctly, most of the younger FAIPs are watched as closely as the students. Most IPs are well qualified and have the experience (not just hours - you can't usually compare civilian hours to military hours. Jump up and down about that all you want, but it's true) to teach ANYONE how to fly in the military. Even the kid with 2000 hours in the mighty C-172.

pkober said:
Lighten up on the kid, Francis's !!!!

Geez. No kidding.

Deuce130 said:
(not just hours - you can't usually compare civilian hours to military hours. Jump up and down about that all you want, but it's true)

Look Almerick07, contrary to what has been stated here, I don't think your problem is going to be transitioning from civi to military, rather the other way around when you get out.

The FAA did a study on this a few years back and put out a training video for Civilian only Airline guys to understand what they will most likely encounter on the flight deck with ex military pilots.

Here is the link:

http://www.valkilmer.com/media/snl_iceman.html

:D

Last edited:
Ok, so...when we're all done pissing in each others' Cheerios, can we actually talk about the TOPIC that STARTED the thread?

You wanna know what I hate about FI.com? Just look at this thread.

Last edited:
Superunknown said:
Geez. No kidding.

Look Almerick07, contrary to what has been stated here, I don't think your problem is going to be transitioning from civi to military, rather the other way around when you get out.

The FAA did a study on this a few years back and put out a training video for Civilian only Airline guys to understand what they will most likely encounter on the flight deck with ex military pilots.

Here is the link:

http://thetravisty.com/Saturday_Night_Live/wmv/Iceman_-_The_Later_Years.htm

:D

hey then ..why are you on the military forum?

Otto77 said:
hey then ..why are you on the military forum?

Because someone stated that a civilian pilot with 2000TT is more likely to fail UPT than a guy whom does not know how to distinguish a control stick from a banana. I call BS!!!

That's why.

Superunknown said:
Because someone stated that a civilian pilot with 2000TT is more likely to fail UPT than a guy whom does not know how to distinguish a control stick from a banana. I call BS!!!

That's why.

Noone said that. Certainly not me. I said that attitude is a more likely indicator of who will graduate, not total time. And that, yes, even some guy with 2000TT can be taught something in UPT. So, before you call BS, get your sh*t straight. Now, go away.

Last edited:
Fury220 said:
Ok, so...when we're all done pissing in each others' Cheerios, can we actually talk about the TOPIC that STARTED the thread?

You wanna know what I hate about FI.com? Just look at this thread.

Superunknown said:

That's why.

Whoever said UPT was all about learning how to fly?

It's also about learning how to fly the company way... and getting in the club. It's more dynamic than you know so why try and argue about it?

UPT is all about attitude and it hurts when the payback comes. Those that have not been to UPT can't understand the issue some of us are talking about. I know people who have been to a whore-house, but I don't try and dispence advice on those that might go to one :laugh:

Nice post...d bag. ;)

So did the T1 run off the runway or not - I can't seem to find anything about it?

To my fellow UPT grads...you have the airplane...

PUKE

Before this thread degenerates further into a military vs. civilian thing, may I humbly suggest that those of you so inclined use the search function, that topic has been "done" ad nauseum, many times before. If you are a civilian or military guy who thinks your stuff doesn't stink because you:

• Got stood up for a year
  • Flew freight by yourself in broken old airplanes in all kinds of weather
  • Can execute a perfect echelon turn in your T-38 without even thinking
  • Fly everyday in and out of the world's busiest airspace
...then here's a newsflash for you: you haven't been in the cockpit very long and/or your head is buried up your fat SNAP behind. Nobody cares but you. The rest of us have more important things to think about and do. To that end, I'm going to attempt to start a conversation here that may return this thread to something useful and educational.

Overrun accidents occur regularly in both civilian and military aircraft. They should be preventable, but aviators have yet to devise a system or training solution to greatly reduce their numbers. The importance of stabilized approaches are beat into our collective heads, and the critical nature of SOP's are hammered by IP's, Simuflite, Stan Eval, Check Airmen, you name it.

So where's the disconnect? I believe part of the problem is in situations where we really need the structure of carefully regulated callouts and stabilized approach parameters, they're the first thing that gets thrown out the window. (SWA in BUR comes to mind. SW has several altitude gates associated with their approaches for velocity and configuration, along with a callout. The crew was so busy trying to 'make it work' that they missed the callouts.) On a sunny calm day or in the simulator when your mentally primed for it, making a decision to abandon the approach is pretty easy. You've got lot's of un-used brain cells and SA to spare. Throw in rapidly deteriorating conditions, get-home-itis, fatigue and other variables, and it becomes difficult to see the need to go-around, and even more challenging to speak up and say it. (Many of us pride ourselves on being hard-wired for that kind of thing, but truth is, few of us are.)

I don't want to make this post so long nobody reads it, so let me invite others to post their views of why overruns continue to occur with pretty alarming regularity. After a few more we can discuss solutions, techniques and ideas.

Anybody?

Latest resources

Back