Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

fr8doggie

Canis Onus
A highly placed source has just informed me that SWAPA is not happy with the new FT/DT rules. They feel that the new rules will adversely effect the SWA pilots' ability to make extra money. SWAPA is considering petitioning the FAA for an exemption to the new rules.

They feel that it is unfair that the cargo operators were exempted and they were not. When I informed my source that both ALPA and CAPA (of which SWAPA is a member) had lobbied for the rule change he was surprised.

Last edited:
Mostly I see/hear guys upset that cargo was exempt since we all share the same airspace. There have been midairs from pilot error before and there will be in the future. I think if they are lobbing it will be to bring out that point.

A highly placed source has just informed me that SWAPA is not happy with the new FT/DT rules. They feel that the new rules will adversely effect the SWA pilots' ability to make extra money. SWAPA is considering petitioning the FAA for an exemption to the new rules.

They feel that it is unfair that the cargo operators were exempted and they were not. When I informed my source that both ALPA and CAPA (of which SWAPA is a member) had lobbied for the rule change he was surprised.

Your highly-placed source is yanking your chain. There is a contingent of pilots in SWAPA that is not happy with the rules change (for the reason you stated), but SWAPA's official position ) is to support the rules. The position was that the changes were coming whether we liked it or not, and by having a "seat at the table" through CAPA, we'd have a voice for input. SWAPA, due to one of its members actually being the current CAPA president, even asked for its members to write politicians to get the rules implemented (some in the federal administration were "stalling.") That also upset some members. They did lobby against the carveout for cargo carriers (for the reason mentioned above that we all share the same airspace).

Bubba

The position was that the changes were coming whether we liked it or not, and by having a "seat at the table" through CAPA, we'd have a voice for input. Bubba

Where have I heard that before?:rolleyes:

So you are telling me that it is absolutely false that SWAPA is considering petitioning for an exemption to the new rules? Has not SWAPA posted information that these rules will lead to a degradation of SWA pilots' income?

Where have I heard that before?:rolleyes:

So you are telling me that it is absolutely false that SWAPA is considering petitioning for an exemption to the new rules? Has not SWAPA posted information that these rules will lead to a degradation of SWA pilots' income?

Sure. And I'm considering petitioning the FAA for an exemption to the 8 hour rule. I'll let you know how it goes.

Sure. And I'm considering petitioning the FAA for an exemption to the 8 hour rule. I'll let you know how it goes.

According to the new rules it's already been upped to 9 depending on when you start duty.

They're upset it didn't include an extension to age 70. Get real.

According to the new rules it's already been upped to 9 depending on when you start duty.

I believe he is talking about the 8 hour rule associated with the 1 2 3 rule that isn't associated with weather.

I believe he is talking about the 8 hour rule associated with the 1 2 3 rule that isn't associated with weather.

Understood!:beer:

You got it... something about 50 feet of the aircraft if I recall correctly. Anyway I deserve a special exemption just like Southwest does, because I'm so special and I don't have to abide by the same level of safety as everyone else!

Latest resources

Back