• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWAPA Info packet FEDEXed to all AirTran Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
MP: What do the SWA pilots get out of the deal? And AAI "growth" is a specious argument because your company was sold...keep it real.

Aircraft orders will definitely be considered at the table, just like retirements will. To say otherwise is ignant. :laugh:

I wouldn't worry about it....The fact that SWAPA never consulted ALPA to give them the common and professional courtesy of a heads up.

Next time...tell your union to at least give our union the courtesy of call if they intend to send us something prior to our inevitable SLI.

Now that's funny right there. How about AT NC guys not having the courtesy to call our NC when changing there mind on the process agreement.

POT THIS IS KETTLE.

Ty,

You want to keep pounding the table on how contracts are not guaranteed forever, but in the same breath talk about all the growth possiblities with Airtran's aircraft orders. (which were never guaranteed by the way). I'm not sure those phantom orders will have any bearing on the SLI. It would have thrust AAI into further debt to accept those deliveries, and that part is irrefutable.

You can't argue out of both sides of your mouth at the same time.

Ty,

You want to keep pounding the table on how contracts are not guaranteed forever, but in the same breath talk about all the growth possiblities with Airtran's aircraft orders. (which were never guaranteed by the way). I'm not sure those phantom orders will have any bearing on the SLI. It would have thrust AAI into further debt to accept those deliveries, and that part is irrefutable.

You can't argue out of both sides of your mouth at the same time.
AAI's debt to equity ratio was well below that of every legacy and further more well within manageable ranges when considering future growth. You are correct that growth is never a guarantee but it will be looked at by any arbiter, to say otherwise is foolish. Just like growth in the future is no guarantee neither is your pay. Like I said I can't wait to WORK TOGETHER. Just don't try to undervalue me or my coworkers or we will all pay for it in the end.

Aircraft orders will definitely be considered at the table, just like retirements will. To say otherwise is ignant.

They will be considered. So will the 241 orders we have on the books. When we take delivery of our planes (the 50 former AirTran planes) it will represent less than 8% fleet growth. On the other hand, if AirTran took our deliveries it would be almost 200% growth to your airline. We already had over 5 times the orders you had before we bought them. You don't bring nearly as much to the table as you think.

Your 717's are not money makers and the reality is your operation is more of an anchor than a sail.

I'm not trying to diminish what Airtran accomplished with what they had, they really did VERY well in Delta's backyard. Which is not easy.

The fact and reality are that almost every aircraft delivery that Southwest takes is made with cash, not further debt. Airtran was just not in the financial position to be as strong as that. More debt with minimal return on that debt creates a wedge that's hard to overcome. Bob saw that road ahead and then reviewed his golden parachute and pulled the cord when Gary called.

KP,

When you make statements like this, it really shows that you don't know what you are talking about. Your 'old management stooges' aren't in these meetings, but I wouldn't expect a AAI line guy to know anything about it. And that's not meant as a slam at all, just letting you know what is really going on here.

RF

Wrong, as usual. Our Executive Vice President - Operations & Customer Service (basically the guy just under Bob Jordan on the corporate org chart) was present at meetings when SLI talks began.

Maybe AAI ALPA will send a FEDEX package to my house to explain the losses I can expect as a result of the acquisition.

I don't think any of us want you to lose anything. There are plenty of ways to integrate the lists that won't result in your being harmed. Let the merger committees do their jobs.

Now that's funny right there. How about AT NC guys not having the courtesy to call our NC when changing there mind on the process agreement.

POT THIS IS KETTLE.

Wrong again.

They will be considered. So will the 241 orders we have on the books. When we take delivery of our planes (the 50 former AirTran planes) it will represent less than 8% fleet growth. On the other hand, if AirTran took our deliveries it would be almost 200% growth to your airline. We already had over 5 times the orders you had before we bought them. You don't bring nearly as much to the table as you think.

Your 717's are not money makers and the reality is your operation is more of an anchor than a sail.

This conversation would be worth having, if you stuck to facts, instead of rhetoric and insults.

As it is, though, it's just a vehicle for insulting us, and isn't worth a real response.

Last edited:

Billy you never cease to amaze me. Your fairness compass is a bit deviated. What we bring to the table is also compared directly to the numbers (amount of pilots) we bring to the table. Those 50 were all growth aircraft for 1700 pilots. Your 241 aircraft orders were all replacement as per GK - and that was for 5,800 pilots.

Still doesn't change the Fact: Can't wait to begin working with SWA pilots in growing and making our company even better. I just ask for some mutual respect. I know you have earned just like we have.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back