• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWAPA Info packet FEDEXed to all AirTran Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
From the AAI email..."where they have been told to expect a comprehensive briefing from Southwest Airlines"

I'd say that might be an understatement. SW management can be very tough at negotiations, this might be a watershed event.

For months the AAI guys have been denying that Southwest management was more than just distantly involved in this process and that any 'nuclear options' were just speculation from all the SWAPA pilots. I'd say the curtain is starting to roll back on how involved Gary will be in this process.

Talking out of your a$$ again I see. We have always been aware of Southwest Management's involvement in the process. We even have some of our old management stooges in on the meetings for some reason. Try again.

Talking out of your a$$ again I see. We have always been aware of Southwest Management's involvement in the process. We even have some of our old management stooges in on the meetings for some reason. Try again.

KP,

When you make statements like this, it really shows that you don't know what you are talking about. Your 'old management stooges' aren't in these meetings, but I wouldn't expect a AAI line guy to know anything about it. And that's not meant as a slam at all, just letting you know what is really going on here.

RF

KP,

When you make statements like this, it really shows that you don't know what you are talking about. Your 'old management stooges' aren't in these meetings, but I wouldn't expect a AAI line guy to know anything about it. And that's not meant as a slam at all, just letting you know what is really going on here.

RF

I'm sorry, I didn't realize that you had all the answers and inside info. What a relief!, I guess I'll disregard what my Merger Committee says and ask some junior SWA FO on an anonymous message board.

Yes, we do know for sure. The Merger Committee gave us a message board update stating that they had no idea and would give us more information as they got it. Then yesterday the MEC sent out a more formal email to everyone, parts of it included below:

By now, presumably all of you have received a FedEx package from SWAPA. And SWA mgmt. A letter from VP Flt OPS CM was included in the mailing as well.

Just keep talking...

Don't bother Quiet. They would rather just keep their heads in the sand about where this is headed.

On a positive note, just got off the phone with my Airtran buddy. He said every single person he's talked to is excited about the opportunity to 'just get this done and get on the list'. He didn't have any issues with a SW/SWAPA piece being sent to his house. I think over the past few months he has realized that there is no way that the AAI guys don't have a much higher career earnings (as Lear stated earlier) with this purchase... and much better career expectations.

RF

Look.. Im not a blow hard union freek at all. But this letter was total BS. It was a letter that compared average and individual pay scales with what we make at AAI vs what we would make at SWA. Its a total BS propaganda that went around the negotiations that are taking place. I will soon be a member of SWAPA, and if this is the type of crap they are going to pull, Im very weary of what we are getting into. Does SWAPA not have any idea what kind of propoganda B.S. AAI pilots had to deal with when we were in contract talks? IMO they are complete IDIOTS for sending this out. Besides the fact that the info is incacurate. Why not compare average pay per year? Probably because they would see that our 7th, 8th, and 9th year guys make very close to what their's do. Hopefully, AAI guys are smart enough to realize that the average AAI FO has been at AAI for 3-4 years vs the average SWA FO who has ben there for 5-7 years. Heck, for that matter, lets compare wages when SWA was 17 years old vs Airtan when they were 17 years old? Doesn't that seem like a fair comparison??

I have a feeling this letter will get the exact opposite intendid reaction! WOW!

I wouldn't worry about it....The fact that SWAPA never consulted ALPA to give them the common and professional courtesy of a heads up. And the fact that SWAPA probably pulled all the strings they had to get the VP of Flt Ops to be quoted says A LOT!!!! They are desperate and have very little leverage and are being managed by corporate. Why else would they extend such resources in the middle of SLI which they claim is an IF not a WHEN.

The facts are: AAI brings 50 737s delivers at prices way below present market value. AAI brings another 40 (that's right 40) cities we can expand to. AAI brings a profitable airline with money in the bank. AAI brings a higher on time arrival, along with better bag handling and near SWA customer level service.

AAI pilots are proud of their accomplishments and aware of what we bring to the table. Can't wait to work together to capture more market share.

Next time...tell your union to at least give our union the courtesy of call if they intend to send us something prior to our inevitable SLI.

MP: What do the SWA pilots get out of the deal? And AAI "growth" is a specious argument because your company was sold...keep it real.

Maybe AAI ALPA will send a FEDEX package to my house to explain the losses I can expect as a result of the acquisition.

The facts are: AAI brings 50 737s delivers at prices way below present market value. AAI brings another 40 (that's right 40) cities we can expand to. AAI brings a profitable airline with money in the bank. AAI brings a higher on time arrival, along with better bag handling and near SWA customer level service.

Don't forget about the 1,000,000,000 in debt. Airplanes you couldn't pay for so you traded some delivery slots to a Company that could. Flight Crews that you couldn't afford to give a raise to. Stock in the carper.

You guys need to stop sniffing the glue. You're in for a rude awakening. If history is a lesson to all of us, Gary wont put up with this much longer. Think about Morris Air, Muse Air and F9 and about their stories?

The Muse Air guys pushed to hard, backed out of a deal and contacted Herb directly. Herb agreed with the SWAPA seniority offer and decided to shut them down the next day. Some senior guys here, say "they have never seen an airline disappear so quickly.

Morris guys came to the fork in the road and did all the right things, they trusted the Company and SWAPA and look at the results.

F9 went a different route, enough said.

We have some smart people working for us. M/B can't force a CEO to run his company a certain way. Fair and equitable doesn't mean one pilot group gets everything. What are you air tran pilots giving us, southwest pilots? Why would we, want you here? Southwest owns all your toys, it cheaper to hire off the street. You are coming up to the fork in the road, moment. Do not over play your hand, you will be very sad.

Stop taking drugs.

Maybe AAI ALPA will send a FEDEX package to my house to explain the losses I can expect as a result of the acquisition.

If they did, I would be pissed at the waste of dues money. Ask a SWAPA rep how much it cost to tell the AirTran pilots what we already knew.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back