• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWAPA Comments about 717

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The "SWAPA" comments about the 717" and their perspective of giving the flying the AirTran Captains brought with the deal to SWA f/o's as a good thing has nothing to do with SWAPA??

Obviously it did. On the other hand, what did you expect the SWAPA president to say to his members, especially junior ones who felt disaffected due to the SLI? Seriously, Dan, what? He represents them and their interests, not ALPA guys. It's his job to pass news and the ramifications to his members. Sure it would have been better if his communication had been private, but that never happens these days. Someone with an agenda always leaks it, and then trolls like you use it for fodder.

Thanks for being predictable, however.

Bubba

Last edited:
Your Welcome! I'm flattered you seem to to put so much importance in my opinion. If you look closely, my posts are not anti SWA. They are more about my perspective that SWA hardly treated the AirTran merger as, to quote "Gary", "a merger we can all be proud of".
As is obvious on here, SWAPA/SWA screwed the pooch with how they handled this 717 deal. It's clear on here that many at SWA think the AirTran folks are just lucky to be there and should be happy with anything they got. I think that kind of attitude should be called out for what it is.

Like -I- have said before, I'm not accusing you of being anti-SWA. I'm accusing you of being anti-Southwest pilots. Which is ironic, because it was SWA, not SWAPA, who didn't "treat the Airtran merger" as you thought would have been proper. But for some reason, you continually bash SWAPA and its pilots as if they contrived to do all of this. Trust me, the overwhelming majority wanted no part of this to begin with. However, it's a reality now, and ALL sides are trying to deal as best as possible.

Can Southwest pilots (and SWAPA folks) say stupid or insensitive things? Of course. On the other hand, so can Airtran/ALPA folks. So can United/Continental guys, so can Alaska guys, and certainly so can Hawaiian guys. Why is it you never take anyone ELSE to task for stupid/insensitive remarks besides Southwest pilots? Why is that, Dan?

In this case, Texman made a positive comment about Airtran guys and used the term "newhire training," without it occurring to him that it might offend anyone. Then a few Airtran guys pointed out that they're not newhires. And then of course, YOU were all over it like stink on you-know-what, as typical "Southwest pilot arrogance/mentality." Jesus, Dan, give it a rest. I was just in Dallas for training, and the Airtran guys I talked to called it "newhire training" themselves. Maybe you should give them a hard time too. No offense was meant. Relax, man! Stand down from Defcon 1!

I'm not sure if it's just your idea of fun to stir up trouble among other airlines' pilots (I dunno--does Hawaiian pay you extra for that?), or if maybe a Southwest pilot dorked your girl or something. Regardless, it's pretty clear that you only jump on Southwest pilots' words and no one elses. Talk to a professional, Dan. Please. For all our sakes.

Bubba

Last edited:
Obviously it did. On the other hand, what did you expect the SWAPA president to say to his members, especially junior ones who felt disaffected due to the SLI? Seriously, Dan, what? He represents them and their interests, not ALPA guys. It's his job to pass news and the ramifications to his members.

It wouldn't have been difficult at all to write an update to his members that discussed how it would affect them, while still being respectful to the AirTran pilots who he knew would be reading it. He obviously had no desire to do that.

I've never claimed to be a "national" anything. Those are the claims of other people.

As far as Chase, he's earned a lack of respect. I've always disagreed with the popular statement that "respect is earned." People should be treated with respect by default, and they earn disrespect. Chase has certainly done more than enough to earn some disrespect from the AirTran pilots.

Just like the welcome new hires sign at the training center had to be removed because some had their feelings hurt. I know you arent new hires but jesus you guys are more sensitive then my 4 year old. Maybe we should do everything Airtran related with kid loves. Next we will have to watch some BS video on how to talk to an Airtran pilot in public. I know no SWA pilot has been harmed and we all made out like bandits. Only the Airtran side has a god given right to be displeased with this crap. Its over, done, give it rest already. I am cordial to the Airtran crews I have met and they have returned in kind.

As far as Chase, he's earned a lack of respect. I've always disagreed with the popular statement that "respect is earned." People should be treated with respect by default, and they earn disrespect. Chase has certainly done more than enough to earn some disrespect from the AirTran pilots.
As you have also.

Just for the record I am NOT a SC fan.

Last edited:
Well, PCL, Based on this forum and your outstanding service to your fellow AT pilots, you have also earned your status among future coworkers.

Capt Chase is the SWAPA president. He doesn't represent you, as you clearly like to point out. "WE ARE ALPA" is what you clearly like to display. He is not ALPA. Should he take offense to you calling him out by name?

For the rest- please remember- not one single SWAPA member wanted to buy AT or even had the smallest say in the matter. And I'm sure many of you didn't want to be bought either. It is what it is. Most of us accept that, and promise that MOST of us will welcome you and call you brothers.

But please don't expect us to feel sorry for you. And the same goes for us.

When will SWA buy another airline?

CANCER and it will spread !! ASK AA/United/CAL/USAIR/EASTERN...

SWA needs to get ahead of things and not behind them? Training out of seniority=Lawsuits will come with time !

Most SWA guys know where they are based and live. AT guys (717), no clue where based/ or live? Their bid=nothing?

Training=A whole day on how to read a Dispatch/ 3 days on FMS and FMA? A whole day on RADAR? Hearing 2 weeks could be cut out.

Subscription to behind the times needs to be renewed !

Like -I- have said before, I'm not accusing you of being anti-SWA. I'm accusing you of being anti-Southwest pilots. Which is ironic, because it was SWA, not SWAPA, who didn't "treat the Airtran merger" as you thought would have been proper. But for some reason, you continually bash SWAPA and its pilots as if they contrived to do all of this. Trust me, the overwhelming majority wanted no part of this to begin with. However, it's a reality now, and ALL sides are trying to deal as best as possible.

Can Southwest pilots (and SWAPA folks) say stupid or insensitive things? Of course. On the other hand, so can Airtran/ALPA folks. So can United/Continental guys, so can Alaska guys, and certainly so can Hawaiian guys. Why is it you never take anyone ELSE to task for stupid/insensitive remarks besides Southwest pilots? Why is that, Dan?

In this case, Texman made a positive comment about Airtran guys and used the term "newhire training," without it occurring to him that it might offend anyone. Then a few Airtran guys pointed out that they're not newhires. And then of course, YOU were all over it like stink on you-know-what, as typical "Southwest pilot arrogance/mentality." Jesus, Dan, give it a rest. I was just in Dallas for training, and the Airtran guys I talked to called it "newhire training" themselves. Maybe you should give them a hard time too. No offense was meant. Relax, man! Stand down from Defcon 1!

I'm not sure if it's just your idea of fun to stir up trouble among other airlines' pilots (I dunno--does Hawaiian pay you extra for that?), or if maybe a Southwest pilot dorked your girl or something. Regardless, it's pretty clear that you only jump on Southwest pilots' words and no one elses. Talk to a professional, Dan. Please. For all our sakes.

Bubba

Your exactly right Bubba. My intentions from day one since 2010 have been only to treat the AT peeps with respect.

As far as NEW HIRE goes, only meant it in a positive way. It was a fun experience and would like to extend that experience to the AT peeps.

I think what should happen is the AT folks at SWA training or just getting out need to share their thoughts and feelings about how it has been for them so far. Basically report back to all the AT peeps via company email, or something.

It's all good :)

Latest resources

Back