• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWAPA calls all former AirTran pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Come on Lear, pull your head out of your butt.

You're being played. Who benefits if this deal causes turmoil within the company?

autonomy - immunity from arbitrary exercise of authority: political independence

If MEC members are in the room providing "thoughts and input" your MC is not autonomous.

pull your head out of your butt.

You're being played. Who benefits if this deal causes turmoil within the company?[/QUOTE]

Becareful Bob, you will be banned. When somebody has their head that far up it is impossible to pull it out.

Becareful Bob, you will be banned. When somebody has their head that far up it is impossible to pull it out.
After your "colorful" and completely inaccurate PM rants the last couple weeks, I see you still haven't found any rational reason to sling mud at me, yet continue to do so. Well done. :rolleyes:

autonomy - immunity from arbitrary exercise of authority: political independence

If MEC members are in the room providing "thoughts and input" your MC is not autonomous.

Yes, the MC is autonomous. Just because someone is present to give their opinion doesn't mean that person has any "authority". Although LH is a de-facto member of EVERY committee by ALPA bylaws, he holds no special place of power on any such committee.

I've flown with 2 of our MC members for over a decade, and have known one of your own MC members just as long (we were all at a prior company together). I know them to be level-headed folks who will do the best they can to come to a reasonable agreement.

Beyond that, I'm just not commenting, no matter how many digs people make.

I find it interesting that no one has brought up the fact that Skywest bought Express Jet and merged them into ASA, which did not force the Skywest pilots into SLI with a company they bought. The similarities are there with Guadalupe.

Because nobody wants to believe that's a possiblity. But the reality is it could happen if Gary wants to pull that ripcord.

I get the impression that the ALPA guys are grasping at straws by wanting to meet with SW management. I don't blame them for asking, but they are doing all they can to get into the transition agreement and it ain't gonna happen.

I find it interesting that no one has brought up the fact that Skywest bought Express Jet and merged them into ASA, which did not force the Skywest pilots into SLI with a company they bought. The similarities are there with Guadalupe.

I sorta brought it up in another thread, about keeping us seperate. The SWA guys said that they are protected by their contract. They said that if AirTran is operated seperate, SWA has to basically add 4 aircraft to SWA for everyone 1 aircraft added to AT. That covers growth. But it doesn't stop them from doing this;

Keeping Airtran seperate (working under the AT labor contracts) and restructuring our flying. In other words, sending the 717 to DAL and OAK to do shorthaul flying. HOLY COW! DAL is senior! SWA wouldn't displace their top 10% of the seniority list. Would they? Keeping the same 52 AirTran 737's and making them the international fleet. They are configured differently in the cabin and flight deck.. we are cerftified to do Cat III using autoland and not the HUD. These are the reasons I don't just freak out say "SWA just bought.. I won the lottery". The real offer isn't on the table yet. I don't know what SWA plans are. In addition to that, I think the DOJ looks at a larger airlines purchasing smaller airlines with the intent of somehow elimanating that competition. So my enthusiam for the deal will depend alot on what the BOD see's, the DOJ see's, and ultimately how the SWA management really intends on using the new toy they are buying.

Just a quick thought...An arbitrator is not capable of making UNIQUE judgments such as pay protection, special bases, etc...

Humvee, I think that the intent is to fully integrate the two operations. However, swa management is also very aware of the pitfalls of this business, and hence, will protect what they now have. If airtran, as a company, comes over nicely and happily, it should be a good ride.

An arbitrator is not capable of making UNIQUE judgments such as pay protection, special bases, etc...

That is true but they will take the acquiring parties (SWA) requests and will build the award accordingly. Fair and equitable has already been taken care of with the huge contract windfall that every AirTran pilot will receive and if all AirTran pilots are in Atlanta for the rest of their careers then they retain exactly what they brought to the table.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back