• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA wants to fly from HOU to MEX and SouthAmerica

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm sorry Scoot, where exactly are we crying? When you guys wanted to do your slot swap, it was the Feds that said you had to divest X number of slots to avoid monopoly. You agreed to it. The problem was, Southwest (and other airlines, for that matter) were interested in the divested slots (which would then belong to the airports/FAA, by the way), but you wanted to cherry pick who got them instead. You wanted to limit your competition by actually choosing your own competitor; someone you felt would post the least actual competition to you. As I recall, it was YOU doing the crying to the FAA: "well, if we can't choose our own competitor, then we may not want to do this swap after all. So there."

I just don't get your complaint here at HOU. You fly (as a rule) into bigger airports that serve your model (hub and spoke, larger capacity aircraft). We fly (often) into middle sized airports, like MDW and HOU, because they fit OUR model. Your regional airlines fly into tiny airports (some of which I'm not even sure where they are), because that's THEIR model, with their smaller RJs. We don't fly into those places, because they're too small to justify our 737s, for the same reason you don't bring your 777s and such to places like ABQ, OKC and CRP (or MDW and HOU, for that matter). The airport size or market size doesn't justify it. You've got multiple sized airframes to serve different sized airports and markets (plus your regional RJs for really tiny airports/markets), but we don't. All of our aircraft are essentially the same size, so we stick with airports (and markets) that we can make work best for us. That's how a business plan works. Trying to force us to make our operation fit into your business plan is not fair or level at all. It's crap, and clearly Southwest isn't buying into it.

Fair and level means YOU fly any size aircraft you want into any airport you want (and can make money doing so), and we'll do the same. We just don't have the choice of aircraft sizes that you do. How about this: you fly your 777s from IAH to Europe, we'll fly our 737s from HOU to closer places like DAL or maybe even CUN, and you can have your regional guys fly their RJs from Baton Rouge to wherever-the-hell you fly to from Baton Rouge. (Actually, I don't really know what smaller markets your RJs serve; Baton Rouge was just the first small city with an airport that came to mind. But I think you get my point.)

Or you can just keep bitching. It probably won't help. Lawyers and Executives posture and orate extremes to get their way, but when it's all said and done, and it turns out that most of their grandstanding was just crap, and then we pilots just fly the planes to where they're told.

Bubba[/QUOT

You proved his point!

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

And what point was that kwick? United wants to create restrictions where there are none for no other reason than it would be easier for them not to compete with us....
I think everyone sees the multi-layer point to UAL's objection-
They have a hard enough time surviving when they have no competition and don't want any more than they have to-
When they come forcing more cuts down employees throats (while giving themselves the savings in bonuses) they'll blame swa and more employees will believe that swa is the villain instead of their own inept, greedy mgmt.
That about right?

And what point was that kwick? United wants to create restrictions where there are none for no other reason than it would be easier for them not to compete with us....
I think everyone sees the multi-layer point to UAL's objection-
They have a hard enough time surviving when they have no competition and don't want any more than they have to-
When they come forcing more cuts down employees throats (while giving themselves the savings in bonuses) they'll blame swa and more employees will believe that swa is the villain instead of their own inept, greedy mgmt.
That about right?

Wave: Continental built/spent at IAH to get what we needed to do the flying we wanted to do. The deal the city told us they wanted to see was that every airline get to use it, and we thought we were entitled to certain assurances as well. That good faith agreement provided Houston with a world class airport. Now when we're set to get a return on our investment, SWA wants to step in and take the profit right off the top with a miniscule investment thru an airport stunt. BTW: When I said "hot dog stand" to Bake, I was implying that our profit is going to be so little, we might as well be running a hot dog stand. (he thought I meant we'd fold up. No, but our profit will sqwawk VFR) I wasn't interested in betting that we would be gone entirely, I wanted to bet what would happen first: UAL displace 1300 jobs, or SWA create 10,000 jobs? No second guessing those terms...

This building permit is not a lock just because you're going to spend your own money (mostly, some accounts say the HAS will spend $25 million). The city is going to have a black eye if they grant you this. Example: What do you think the next large corporation is going to be thinking when they are set to enter an agreement with Houston for a +1 billion dollar investment? Answer: They won't invest in Houston! It's hard enough for Houston to attract business and investments as it is. They can't treat hometown corporations like that. (No one thinks much of SWA's claims to Houston. You've treated it like a red headed step child. Hobby is a dump. SWA is only interested in it now to exploit it some more) And the IAH airport? Well, we just broke ground on the 700 million dollar terminal B project. If we don't shutter that, it will be the last thing that Houston won't be paying for themselves IMHO...

As far as fares? You do not have us beat. You can only (and very marginally at that) lower a few fares and that's only through going to Hobby. Most everybody in Houston understands that that is a function of the airport and not something purely to SWA's credit. Any airline that gets a deal at Hobby could do the same thing. People are not completely stupid in Houston. Have you noticed in the media and the blogs that you really lack overwhelming support for this? And yeah, our mgt sucks, but this is really an attack by GK and SWA directly on the Houston United employees. If our company builds something, we ought to be able to use it under the terms it was built for reasonable duration. You would want the same for your company.

Last edited:
Lets see, UAL CASM 2011 12.97.

LUV CASM 2011 12.41

Not to worried SWA can't sell tickets for less than UAL and still make bank.

Flop, so this is about CAL learning what I learned at 20years old? Get it in writing?
Show me the contract/agreement that CAL has with Houston to only fly international out of IAH.
You can't bc it doesn't exist-
The city has a vote bc we need new governmental facilities, and it is going to hear UAL's complaint. It really does sound like you are complaining about capitalism though- again- CAL needed the longer runways and space to hub and spoke- not swa- we shouldn't be bound by your business plan.

As for the blogs:

"Blogging: Never Before Have So Many People With So Little To Say Said So Much To So Few"

A "demotivational" poster from despair.com/blogging.html

Never confuse the Internet with reality- its rarely...very rarely, a representative sample. In this case it's clear that blog has been hijacked by CAL employees at the urging of your mgmt. Houston is one of the original SWA triangle cities- we are a Texas airline, and the people of Houston are smart, do know the history of swa vs legacies, and will definitely choose us more and more as we give them more options- they choose us a lot now, and we provide a relative few options compares to unical-

Flop; That post actually made a little sense. I don't think a company asking the city of Houston for permission to expand their services is an attack. It's business. It's up to the officials of the city of Houston to decide what they want. SWA just asked the question. I can't see how your beef would be with them. It's the city government bearing the responsibility of determining what is best for the city, the residents and the health of the local economy. You may be right on every point that this is a bad idea, but ultimately I think SWA has an obligation to its passengers, shareholders and employees to offer the most competitive product they can. That won't be at IAH. If the city says no, SAT and AUS will pick up the traffic. And the city knows this. It's not black and white.

You proved his point!

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Really? How's that? He said that SWA whines to get its way. I said that we're doing what we want, according to our business model, and HE was whining that we should stop. You don't seem too perceptive on what's going on in this whole Houston kerfuffle.

Bubba

Latest resources

Back